Upcoming i9-7820k going to be the gaming/workstation sweet spot?

• Thread starter Deleted member 72990
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 72990

Multiple sources seem to indicate that this CPU will be 8C/16T with a 4.5 boost clock speed. That is a lot of threads and a high clock speed too. Figuring in an overclock maybe to about 4.7 GHz or, combined with IPC increase and other platform features, will be a huge step up from my trusty old 3770K.

It has enough cores and enough speed to pretty much be good for everything.

Thoughts?

It will be a nice chip, the question is how much are they going to charge for it. Considering the i7-6900k currently sells for over $1k and is also 8c/16t don't expect some great deal.

It depends on two things IMO:

1. Price. Nothing has been announced yet. If it's in line with last-gen parts, then it may not be a winner. If Intel adjusts prices downward to compensate for Ryzen, then it might be worth it.

2. "Threadripper" price and performance. Still both unknown at this time. I'll guess the performance won't quite beat Intel, but the cost will be lower.

I've got a 5820k, but I've been feeling the upgrade bug myself. There's just too much uncertainty in this area right now though, so I'm holding off until the above two questions are answered.

It will be a nice chip, the question is how much are they going to charge for it. Considering the i7-6900k currently sells for over $1k and is also 8c/16t don't expect some great deal.

Times have changed.

Ryzen actively forces price pressure (just like it forces the new name i9 to compete with upcoming Ryzen 9). For Intel the six core 6800k itself arguably is a much better bargain at $300-$400 over the 6900k at $1K for the typical enthusiast.

I'm guessing $500 ish +- $100 for the next enthusiast level 8 core from Intel.

Times have changed.

Ryzen actively forces price pressure (just like it forces the new name i9 to compete with upcoming Ryzen 9). For Intel the six core 6800k itself arguably is a much better bargain at $300-$400 over the 6900k at $1K for the typical enthusiast.

I'm guessing $500 ish +- $100 for the next enthusiast level 8 core from Intel.

I don't see intel slashing their prices in half just because ryzen is out.

Should be around 600$. And with up to 4.5Ghz stock its really nice.

I don't see intel slashing their prices in half just because ryzen is out.

Yep, the price is rather balanced against the SKU replacements, CFL etc.

Assuming it's priced around the same range that 5820k, 6820k have been traditionally then it should be competitive.

I'm guessing because this CPU has only PCI-E 28 lanes it should be cheaper, if Intel continued to charge $1K for this CPU with less PCI-E lanes then there is something wrong with Intel.

Is that 4.5 GHz on all 8 cores loaded or just single threaded performance? The same kind of marketing trick AMD pulled.
Otherwise that's the same boost as the 7700K with twice as many cores.

Is that 4.5 GHz on all 8 cores loaded or just single threaded performance? The same kind of marketing trick AMD pulled.
Otherwise that's the same boost as the 7700K with twice as many cores.

LOL. Intel does it clear that it is 4.5GHz single core turbo. Leave the marketing tricks for the other company and partners.

Also Skylake-X will have higher IPC than 7700k, and twice the DDR channels.

$499, 28 PCIe lines -> which allowed for price cut and you will be able to overclock all cores to 4.5Ghz easily, officially is one single core turbo but we all run Intel CPU differently. What i am trying to say 4.5Ghz will be possible with very little or no effort on all cores.

How do i know this? Let's say i know...all i can say.

$799 is going to be a price for 10 Core

$1200 is going to be a price for 12 Core

Again, how do i know all this....;) Psss i didn't tell you

$499, 28 PCIe lines -> which allowed for price cut and you will be able to overclock all cores to 4.5Ghz easily, officially is one single core turbo but we all run Intel CPU differently. What i am trying to say 4.5Ghz will be possible with very little or no effort on all cores.

I will definitely buy the 7900X if all 10 cores can get up to 4.5 GHz, that way I can get all 44 PCIe lanes! I upgrade CPU's so infrequently that I don't mind spending a little extra if the performance is there. I never wanted a 6950x because the limited clock speed, but 4.5 or higher would be great.

If it is going to be $499, I'm in.

Should i be buying something with more than 28 PCIe lanes (44 for the 7900x?) if I'm using SLI like i am?

Should i be buying something with more than 28 PCIe lanes (44 for the 7900x?) if I'm using SLI like i am?
1% difference in favor of dual 16x from benches I've seen with a single card and single monitor.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

However,
The only serious difference is if you are running three 4k monitors at the lowest quality settings.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Titan-X-Performance-PCI-E-3-0-x8-vs-x16-851/

It is a mind hurtle though.

I'm in the same boat... I want as future proof as possible with my next upgrade and I do use three 1440p displays, but I won't have any use for low settings and at high or ultra settings in the games tested it doesn't seem to make notable differences between the two configs.

For me, I'm hoping the six core/12 thread 7800k part comes in around 350 bucks and overclocks decent. I think it's the most bang for the buck right in between the 4 core parts ( which I have no clue why they are even releasing those on the hedt platform) and the higher end stuff.

Well, the architecture remains largely unchanged in this X-edition, don`t expect any engineering wonders... despite the cache tweaks done by Intel...
Also, despite all the marketing, the clock of the chips is 4.5Ghz on a single core, with installed driver taking over the OS which cannot prioritize cores in this way...
Overclockiing an octacore is also not an easy task, temps are going to juuuump high :)

Well, the architecture remains largely unchanged in this X-edition, don`t expect any engineering wonders... despite the cache tweaks done by Intel...
Also, despite all the marketing, the clock of the chips is 4.5Ghz on a single core, with installed driver taking over the OS which cannot prioritize cores in this way...
Overclockiing an octacore is also not an easy task, temps are going to juuuump high :)

True, but it's good to know that the cores can do at least 4.5. Heat management will be part of the fun!

For me, I'm hoping the six core/12 thread 7800k part comes in around 350 bucks and overclocks decent. I think it's the most bang for the buck right in between the 4 core parts ( which I have no clue why they are even releasing those on the hedt platform) and the higher end stuff.
Nah it'll be $400-$450, then the consumer-tier 6C/12T Coffee Lake will slot in at the old 7700K price sub-$350ish.
Intel is filling out two full line-up tiers w/ coffee lake and skl-x. If the i9 starts at $350 then that will cannibalize i7 prices.

i5-7600k should have already cannibalized i7. This weekend you can get the 7600k with a strix mobo at Fry's for the same price as a 7700k. Way more likely to hit 5ghz stable with the 7600k as well.

Nah it'll be $400-$450, then the consumer-tier 6C/12T Coffee Lake will slot in at the old 7700K price sub-$350ish.
Intel is filling out two full line-up tiers w/ coffee lake and skl-x. If the i9 starts at $350 then that will cannibalize i7 prices.[/QUOTE

Your probably right, its just the justification for going x299 is going to be a hard sell if they overprice it this time around with a 6 core part in the mainstream line. If 6 core coffee lake comes in with higher clocks the only real advantage for spending hundreds more on a x299 HEDT part is the extra pci lanes and memory bandwith, or if you honestly need an 8 core cpu. For probably 99% of us the 6 core/12 thread part is going to be the best value for a hybrid gaming/workstation rig. Pricing for me is going to determine if i go 6 core x299 or wait for 6 core coffee lake. I still would be surprised if they launch coffee lake in August though, I was expecting them to try and milk x270/kaby lake until late fall or winter.

All I know is.. this is great news for me, I see a new build in my immediate future for sure. First time in a long time... I'm excited to see how both platforms perform.

Back