Upcoming Dually MoBo Happenings?

ReelMcCoy

Limp Gawd
I know Intel's got their new Xeons cranking now and new mobos should be out soon (eyeballing the Supermicro X6DA8-G2). But what's happening and upcoming in the Opteron dually mobo world? Anything due out in the next month or so?

I've got a couple of aging dually slot 1 PIII systems starting to show signs of age and I'd love to replace one of them with another dually with some staying power. I keep pricing a single CPU A64 system but I've had duallies for so long, it's hard to step away from them.

Thanks for any info.
Dan
Used to dually room heaters.

Well there is PCI-E & DDR2 on the horizon at the moment from Intel.
Dont know if AMD is going to adopt them soon.

Then in the next year or so there are the new dual core CPU's.
Suddenly you duallie becomes a Quaddie.

Just found This.
Hope it helps.

Luck......... :D

iWill is coming out with a dual opteron PCI/PCI-express board

nForce 4 looks to be pretty interesting, was reading about that on 2CPU. 32xPCI E lanes, up to 8-way opterons, soundstorm 2, 8-sata ports. Will be pretty beefy and speedy

Well I think the Xeon does have some staying power. With the new technologies being fairly easy to get ahold of aside from high end PCI-Express video cards the platform as a whole is nice. EMT64, PCI-E, PCI-X 100/133, DDR2 and a max memory size of 16GB on a board like that.

I myself am eyeing the Supermicro X6DA8-G2 and a pair of 3.0GHz Xeon's based on the Nocona core. It has two PCI-Express 16x sockets. One of the only boards that does. Granted the second PCI-E slot is really a 4x but will accept a 16x card physcially.

Thanks for the feedback so far. The review/benchies with the new Supermicro mobo was very interesting. It kinda steered me back into thinking of a dual Opteron system. I've seen mention of IWill's upcoming mobo and I keep looking for signs of it on NewEgg.

It's still pretty much a toss up for me tho (my P3 duallies are on Supermicro mobos and run rock solid) and it's taking quite a bit of will power not to just jump in and get something new before this five year old system gives up the ghost. :) But I'll stick back and see what happens in the coming month.

Thanks again and have a blast.

NForce 4 is what Im looking towards, paired with 2 dual core Opterons. Supposed to have SLI tech on it (I 99% sure).

dual cores aren't out yet, sli has nothing to do with the board itself if you're talking with the nvidia 68XX series, unless you count the fact that to take *full* advantage of it you need 32 pci-e lanes.

morpheus777 said:
NForce 4 is what Im looking towards, paired with 2 dual core Opterons. Supposed to have SLI tech on it (I 99% sure).
Yummy!! I'd think I better start planning a 2nd mortgage...

Back