Upcoming Asus UX21

That's_Corporate

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm pumped for this.

However, I'm new to laptops and never thought about buying one.

So should I not be pumped? Does disappointment hang in the air?

Ya I would hold off on the excitement train, You remember the slew of problem with the first gen Macbook Air. I would wait to see all the issue that Asus first ultra portable has. If all turns out well then get pumped =P. About the disappointment, most laptop performance is disappointing, My m17x with the i7 920xm and dual 5870m's still leave much to be desired. That's why I find myself crawling back to a desktop time and time again

Any word on a release date for this? The demo-vid of it a few months ago looked awesome.

Are there any other good looking ultra-portables coming out?
I was a bit under-whelmed by Acer's offering (the S3).

I don't get why you would buy the Asus when you could buy the Macbook Air. It's what I just did. It's literally identical, and with an education discount the Apple's likely cheaper. Threw Windows on it and it's a dream.

To be honest I never even thought of that. But I would have thought that the Air is more expensive for less?
We don't know the details of the Asus yet though, so its too early to judge.

Plus the idea of buying a mac and then putting windows on it... just doesn't sit right with me :)

We do know the details. The only difference is usb3 - but the asus doesn't have thunderbolt. Granted, I'd much rather have usb3 but it's a minor detail considering the air is available now, cheaper, an will most likely be built better and have a better screen.

My Core i7 1.8ghz 4GB 128GB SSD was like $1200 after I sold the $100 gift card that comes with it. No way the Asus is significantly cheaper. I've been hearing $1600 for the top spec one over at notebook review.

Well that's an interesting option then. I'll have to see how prices are here though. I'm not in the US, so prices can be pretty significantly different out here.
I'm not in an urgent rush to get one, so I'll probably wait until it comes out and then decide.

Do you dual boot with mac OS, or did you just wipe it off completely?

Back