Untangle Port Forward Woes

/usr/home

Supreme [H]ardness
Having used Smoothwall and pfSense for the past 2 years and after reading the recommendations by YeOldeStoneCat and others, I figured I would try it out. I found an old Dell motherboard at work and set out using that.Here's the specs.

Dell motherboard (can't remember the model, at work at the moment, can't check...)
Onboard Broadcom Gigabit
1 GB DDR RAM
80 GB 2.5 SATA HDD
P4 3.2
Second Dlink DFE-538TX PCI card.

Anyways, I got it installed and everything with no problems. I installed the apps into the rack. Everything is working how it should, I tested the virus scanning and protocol blocking and everything, it's working real nicely, I like it alot. My only problem is port forwarding. I have been trying for a couples hours the past 2 nights trying to get port forwarding. I've been searching Google, trying all these tips on forums and following their configs, but I'm getting nothing. If I use the default rule that's in there of port 80, it forward just fine. I've been using the online utorrent port checker. It says port 80 is open. I disable the rule, it says the port is closed. Alright. I change the port from 80 to any other port number, it doesn't forward! This is driving me insane. I've tried pretty much everything that I can. I really don't want to go back to Smoothwall or pfSense. Any suggestions guys? Thanks.

I'll be on later tonight to post a step by step..I'm out on an island today doing some network stuff at a summer/golf camp. ...a bit cramped for time...as I have to take a 1 hour ferry ride to get here.

I am running Untangle 6.2 at home as well, and I forward a bunch of ports myself. It took some getting used to for me as well, but I can give you an example of how I have mine setup if you want to copy. This is my RDP connection to my web server:

Enabled: X
Description: RDP Connection to Web Server

Destination Port: 3389
Destined Local
Protocol: TCP

Destination Address: 192.168.x.x (Replace the .x.x with your own numbers)

That's all that really is to it. You probably are trying to copy the default web server port forward which has interfaces assigned in it too. Basically, if you enable only the external interface in the port forward rule, it will not work if you are on the LAN because you aren't coming from the Internet. If you enable both, internal and external, then yes, you should see the forwarded port working. If you want to have that port forward active regardless of which interface you are coming from, you can omit that whole line.

Thanks for the reply.

I again tried what you suggested just for the heck of it. I did exactly what you said and it still says the port is blocked. I'm using www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to test my port. It says port 80 works if I forward it, but no other ports seem to work.

This is how I roll with the FTP action on my server at home:

ftpportforward.jpg

Do you have any webservices enabled on your box that you are forwarding ports to? If not then you're going to get the port is closed message.

Now that you mention it, I never had anything running behind any of the ports, I have yet to get my DC and fileservers back up after coming back from college. That could explain why port 80 was working and the rest weren't because 80 was open via a browser? Hmm... now I feel noobish haha.

Back