"Unreal Tournament" Isn't Being Actively Developed, Epic Confirms

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Fortnite has been so successful that Epic no longer cares about one of its most legendary franchises, Unreal Tournament: company CEO and founder Tim Sweeney has told Variety the game “remains on hold,” which should be of little surprise to anyone who has been following its development. While Epic hasn’t pulled the plug, there is no reason to believe the ninth installment will be coming out anytime soon.

“Unreal Tournament” is the ninth installment in a first-person shooter franchise created by Epic Games and Digital Extremes in 1999. This latest installment was announced in 2014 as a sort of opensource development version of the game. But as “Fortnite’s” popularity increased with the release of its free Battle Royale mode, resources were pulled from other parts of the studio to focus on “Fortnite.”

Makes sense, just look at how Quake is faring. If they revamp UT and make it like Overwatch it may do well but other than that it has no chance in this market.

If anyone followed epic through unreal and paragon, they would know that Unreal hasn't had any real development in years. Almost everything that is now accessible (empty texture-less maps) has been community made. Thus showing how far ahead of the industry epic was compared to little cliffy B and his modern take on unreal of lawbreakers at bosskey that singlehandedly ended his game production career (again). Saying it remains on hold is fairly misguiding, which would make one believe the game was actually in production or will one day evolve into a full game, neither being the case here. It's not as much fun as playing tam, freezer, and other mods for 2k3 with some legit killers, but the modern unreal is still available anywhere, anytime if you wanna jump in for a few frags.

Heh, a number of my friends and I still play U2K4 at least 3 times a week (co30). Surprisingly, we still get newbies every now and then.

Epic seem to lose it's way (in regards to Unreal) after U2K4. Non of the players I know liked UT 3 so they stuck with U2K4.

Too bad. No UT4 for the collection....

Complete 2.JPG

To this day I still spend a lot of time with UT99, UT2K4 and UT3. I've been playing the UT4 alpha here and there for the past couple years or so, and it never really found it's footing. It had yet to get any semblance of that UT feel. Development was also kind of a mess, with the community sorta pitching in and stuff. I'm not really surprised that Tim Sweeney said the game is not actively being worked on. This isn't Epic MegaGames. They give no shits about the Unreal IP. I wanted an Unreal 3 since UT already got 3 games, but I was happy they were working on anything related to Unreal. Sadly it seems nothing will come of it. Fortnite and Unreal Engine licenses make the money so that's what has Epic's attention. Not sure what Steve Polge and the other homeys over there are gonna be working on now. I had hope for UT4 for a while, but now I'm just like eh whatever. Kinda funny that the engines are still called Unreal Engine when the Unreal games are no longer the centerpieces or showcases. They should just rename the engine to Epic Games Engine or some shit. Honestly with the lacking effort and post-game support that UT3 got, I'm not surprised UT4 ended up the way it has. Unreal Engine 3 only got UT3 and that's it. Unreal Engine 4 won't even get a complete, finished Unreal game of any kind, it seems. Makes me feel sad.

The last really good one to play was UT2004. UT3 was ok but, it was not really all that popular, at least from what I could see.

Reactions: dgz
like this
So wait, getting free games from them makes you a fan? Your lose.

Why would I want something from a company I don't support? Sometimes you just gotta stick to your guns, despite your "loss".

You should understand, the Bible speaks many verses of "Know Thyself".

So many good memories on Facing Worlds (CTF) and Decks (DM/TDM) in UT99 and Primeval, Torlan, and Arctic in UT2k4... I, like most fans, will pretend UT2k3 and UT3 never existed.

Why would I want something from a company I don't support? Sometimes you just gotta stick to your guns, despite your "loss".

You should understand, the Bible speaks many verses of "Know Thyself".

Ummmm, there is nothing in Scripture about Knowing thyself, unless you are referring to knowing that we are sinners in need of grace. (Just making it clear.) That said, I will go ahead and download the free games, even if I do not buy anything but then again, I have not bought a game in a while, other than Forza 7 as a Play Anywhere title, because I purchased it for $19. I consider that money well spent, essentially about $10 per system.

There are many sinners in need of grace, mostly rapist priests.

Games are what they are, entertainment, people are not.

There are many sinners in need of grace, mostly rapist priests.

Games are what they are, entertainment, people are not.

Ummmm, what? I was responding to Krenum's post and correcting him and all, all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. The point is, I was correcting what he said about what the Bible speaks about, that is all. If you do not want the Epic Launcher and their games, do not install it, your loss.

Game had it going on in 2014 - 2015 / ended around then. At one point they got it right and I remember it was the reinvention of a new UT. Then they changed it up for whoever. Quake Champions IS better made but it has to be working 100% to achieve that. Net code is iffy and engine fps also depending.

I utterly hate Fortnite and have always loved UT, so this is incredibly disappointing. Guess I’ll just keep dicking around with Quake for now.

Real shame. Still love UT2k4 - just enought ONS servers alive to provide a fix. Fortnite just doesn't appeal, it feels 'diluted' somehow. UT is pure.

Shame that this had to die in favor of supporting a F2P Battle Royale. I was just hoping the other day that UT would see light because I sure as hell ain't supporting loot boxes, cosmetic or not, in Quake Champions or any other title. A BIG reason why I avoided Overwatch, SW Battlefront II, etc.

I played the heck out of UT99, but did mot care for any of versions released after that. The magic was lost after they shut down UT99.

Regrettable, but not surprising...especially after the train wreck that was Lawbreakers.

I'm glad they killed or paused the current UT iteration, It was terrible and a continued embarrassment to the UT franchise. UT died after UT2K4 completely but started its downfall with 2K3.

Monster Hunt and Infiltration were my favorite UT99 mods. I had a TON of fun on UT3, my god there were times where I'd nearly pass out from laughter. Fun times.

I'm glad they killed or paused the current UT iteration, It was terrible and a continued embarrassment to the UT franchise. UT died after UT2K4 completely but started its downfall with 2K3.

If you mean after as in UT2004 was good but nothing after that so much, I would agree. However, if you are saying UT2004 killed the UT franchise, I would have to say that you are wrong.

If you mean after as in UT2004 was good but nothing after that so much, I would agree. However, if you are saying UT2004 killed the UT franchise, I would have to say that you are wrong.

First half is right. UT2K4 should have been the follower to UT99 and skip the dread that was UT2K3. 2K4 had great game modes with a decent following, I say decent because a lot of "pro" players gave up on UT after 2K3's issues. UT3 started the franchise spiral and the one currently, or used to be in development did nothing but make it worse.

Arena Shooters with High Skill Caps are Dead, because the Genres fans kept turning up their noses at everything, they have nobody to blame but themselves lol.

at it's busiest, "actively" developed = 2 people working on it, including the guy in this forum, ahhh memories... :)

now we're down to 1 person, probably some dude working on flash-based UI?

Where are Unreal Championship 1 & 2? And the Dreamcast version of UT99? And the Xbox 360 version of UT3?

Don't let a disdain for consoles get in the way of a proper collection...

Unreal Championship rocked. Had so much fun playing that game with my brother.

Back