Unreal Tournament 4/2015

I suspect the feedback will be "THIS GAME LOOKS LIKE SHIT, FIX IT!!!". :p

This goes back to my concern about how much "game" will actually be there before the community gets its hands on it.

First deathmatch round played on the new UT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XupPMjJB0-8

Love that they are being so open with the community, the way the industry has become so clandestine and PR focused seriously gives me the shits.

Alpha as fuck. Refreshingly not a jazzed up PR demo bullshit.

If you're feeling particularly helpful and have a subscription, you're free to put in pull requests - that applies for engine work too.

That's the entire point, its a community driven development so they want to get the alpha out to start receiving community input and feedback.

This is what scares the shit out of me. I don't see how playing a game that'll take 2-3 years just to get to a final stage will benefit the community as a whole. Reminds me of this new age "Early Release" crap where games are practically broken and you pay to play it until it works. At least with the new UT it'll be free the entire time. Guess it really depends on how much resources Epic is really throwing at the project.

more like 2004 please god epic.

and use some fucking color, not that everything is gritty as fuck ala ut3 bullshit.

Yeah, UT3 had a sort of glossy look to it.

There were some more colorful maps in UT2004.

What's funny about finding this thread is I decided to try Windows 7 32-bit and found out UT99, UT2004 and UT3 all work with it (and BF2).

If they come out with a new UT, I'll be really excited. I have a mobo and RAM that are just waiting for a new CPU. I plan on getting the CPU maybe by October and video card maybe at xmas.

I still have to get used to BF3 so I'm hoping the next UT if it comes out is really good.

EDIT: I just read a post asking for feedback. If I wanted to give one, I'm not sure how to put it into words. But I'll try. My main reason for playing point-and-shoot video games believe it or not, is to exercise my hand-eye coordination. Like when people say if you read and learn etc. you may be able to slow down Alzheimer's. I don't have it but it concerns me. There are some mental "issues" in my family tree. (Please don't laugh, it's serious for some.) I'd want life-like movements especially if you wanted to use the sniper weapon. Like there's a target at a distance, then you'd have to aim a little higher to hit your target dead-on. If you hit an arm or a leg, then I'd like to be able to see it. If you hit the head, then the target can go down faster than if you hit and arm or a leg or torso. And no lucky approximate shot kills. If you hit on the side of the target and still get a kill, I don't think it's realistic. Like I said, a realistic kind of feel to exercise your hand-eye coordination. And at least one map with more human-sized targets rather than really large robots.

Last edited:
awesome.. cant wait!

I always liked the intro to unreal games too.. especially the first unreal.

Anyone saw todays twitch blog today. here is a youtube video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_kJ5T1KurQ#t=1362

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-engine-42-release

reading through the notes of the Unreal Engine 4.2 on the forum, this came across:

New: Windows XP Support (preview)

Developers working out of GitHub now have the ability to deploy your project to Windows XP.

To enable this, set WindowsPlatform.SupportWindowsXP to true in UnrealBuildTool, and edit your project’s settings to enable OpenGL shader support.
When running on Windows XP, OpenGL is automatically used instead of DirectX 11 for rendering
This feature is early in development and will be improved over time.

OMG let Windows XP die already lol:p

This is what scares the shit out of me. I don't see how playing a game that'll take 2-3 years just to get to a final stage will benefit the community as a whole. Reminds me of this new age "Early Release" crap where games are practically broken and you pay to play it until it works. At least with the new UT it'll be free the entire time. Guess it really depends on how much resources Epic is really throwing at the project.

I probably would prefer a tiered roll out where maybe people who subscribe to the UE4 developer stuff get more access earlier because they're more likely to understand where the core is at in development and best able to contribute content in-engine. Throwing it out there for everyone would be a risky move, you can very easily end up alienating people by putting out a buggy game lacking both features and content.

Maybe they don't have the install base of UE4 developers yet, maybe the game is better off than the quick look suggests, maybe 'soon' was calculated using Valve Time figures.

I do think this game, probably more than most early access games, will live and die not by it's first official release, but by how well they people to commit to creating quality content early on so it launches with a solid ecosystem.

I can only wonder how many hours I'll sink into this once released...

Yeah, I've gone from skeptical to cautiously optimistic on this one. It just looks fun!

My only concern is movement.

I've played all the UT games and I've played them competitively. UT99 style movement is honestly bland. They'll never steer towards Quake-esque movement so the most interesting choice is dodge jumping. I wouldn't mind something like crouch sliding either as a way to keep some momentum going but I doubt others will bite.

Sprint or whatever is boring as fuck.

Looks good...I'm glad they are spending the appropriate amount of time on it. Back in May I was concerned about their comments about how "soon" the game was coming, but I guess that's a relative term.

I don't know about a shit load, but a few hundred people are generally always playing some type of game on UT. I think it averages around 400 - 500 people online in the late afternoon and into the night. More than I can say about UT2k4 and I'm not sure about UT3.

I still host a few UT servers myself, but they hardly ever see any traffic anymore. My site, www.ut-files.com still gets used frequently especially for the redirect services I offer.

What time do you all generally play online? I'll join in on a few games if I can make the time.

Version 451 is mostly for servers.

Version 436 is the version you need.

I know its pre-alpha, but the snipers muzzle flash makes no sense lol

Actually, not gonna lie, I expected a little more, even for pre alpha, but than again I have seen impressive results happen from pre-alpha's to beta's before.

And I expected Fatal1ty to not suck as much as he did, boy the years have not been totally kind to him.

Movement is still my biggest concern. Either he's fucking terrible or it really is slow as fuck.

Actually, not gonna lie, I expected a little more, even for pre alpha, but than again I have seen impressive results happen from pre-alpha's to beta's before.

And I expected Fatal1ty to not suck as much as he did, boy the years have not been totally kind to him.

The video posted on page 10 looks better than this

Honestly based on what I have seen I have no real interest in playing this until it gets to a decent level of development. Cool that those who want to can, though.

Having expectations for a pre-alpha is your first mistake. This is why many games have NDAs for their alpha/beta tests, let alone a pre-alpha prototype builds. You sound as though you've written off the game barring a development miracle.

looks like UT99 with 3-4 players using UT2k weapons that aren't constantly dodging in a map

Last edited:
Back