Unreal Tournament 4/2015

They claim no micro-transactions. We'll see. They'll have to monetize something if it's going to be a serious project. I wonder if they're thinking of doing a TF2 style model.

From the stream, it seems Epic will just lay the foundation. They are counting on mods and the community for the bulk of the content.

A marketplace will exist where content creators can set their own price. Somewhat TF2 model I suppose

Free to play? Well, my interest just dropped significantly.

The only way I can see this being good is if they have an option to pay $X for all of the content in one purchase, similar to what Tribes: Ascend did later down the line.

However, with the recent conversation about hackers in F2P games, that does not bode terribly well.

Fantastic news and a great idea IMO. The Unreal Tournament community has always been an open community in terms of modding.

Cannot wait.:cool:

By fully supporting mods, I don't think this is going to be just another F2P P2W multiplayer game.

Modders will have the choice to release their mods for free or at a price, and I think that's where they will be getting their revenue from.

Free to play? Well, my interest just dropped significantly.

The only way I can see this being good is if they have an option to pay $X for all of the content in one purchase, similar to what Tribes: Ascend did later down the line.

However, with the recent conversation about hackers in F2P games, that does not bode terribly well.

Epic is really hammering in community content creation. I don't believe they will be making much of this game at all. Just basic technical groundwork.

Epic will profit via UE4 dev subscriptions no doubt.

A f2p sound are real good idea. I like the system of buying stuff and this is maybe going to bring a lot of players.

I think it'll be interesting to track how much real community interaction on the development there'll be. They say that all UE4 developers get access to the Unreal Tournament GitHub, but that doesn't mean all that much: Epic will still manage the official repo and any pull requests from it.

Usefully, it being on GitHub will make the process, as they say, pretty transparent.

By fully supporting mods, I don't think this is going to be just another F2P P2W multiplayer game.

Modders will have the choice to release their mods for free or at a price, and I think that's where they will be getting their revenue from.

I can't really say I'm thrilled about the idea of paying for mods, though.

Maybe F2P will be okay, depending on how they do it.

Maybe F2P will be okay, depending on how they do it.

Well here is how its going to work.

Once you hear that the game is finished, you will click on the link to download it. Once you donwload it , you can then install the game. Once installed, you get to play it! :eek:

I don't remember them saying that the game will be "F2P" "Pay 2 Win" or whatever else there is. Just "Free".

Well here is how its going to work.

Once you hear that the game is finished, you will click on the link to download it. Once you donwload it , you can then install the game. Once installed, you get to play it! :eek:

Yeah, but we still don't fully know how they plan to monetize this. Maybe it will be entirely driven by UE4 subscriptions by modders, but somehow I am not sure this will be the case.

The idea of having a "base" game with little content and then relying on modders to create paid content does not really sound that appealing to me.

The idea of having a "base" game with little content and then relying on modders to create paid content does not really sound that appealing to me.

On the other side of the coin, would you rather them give us a base game without any form of extra content? Or a game where we have to pay for every bit of content?

What people need to realize is , Unreal Tournament has ALWAYS been about modding & sharing mods with the community. This is no different than fiddling with the first Unreal Engine which we got FOR FREE with Unreal Tournament back in 1999.

If someone wants to sell their content that they worked on, by all means.

On the other side of the coin, would you rather them give us a base game without any form of extra content? Or a game where we have to pay for every bit of content?

What people need to realize is , Unreal Tournament has ALWAYS been about modding & sharing mods with the community. This is no different than fiddling with the first Unreal Engine we got FOR FREE with Unreal Tournament back in 1999.

What I would personally prefer is, they build a full game, they charge $X flat for it, and then release full mod tools so modders can do whatever they want.

This whole "pay for the game via paid community content" idea sounds really sketchy to me. I really wonder if it will actually work out, because I can't see a ton of people paying actual money for user-generated mods.

I also have to wonder what the "base" game will look like, that we get for free right out of the gate. If it's mostly complete with a good number of maps, then okay. If it's a couple weapons and a couple maps...not so great.

I guess we just have to wait and see.

I also have to wonder what the "base" game will look like, that we get for free right out of the gate. If it's mostly complete with a good number of maps, then okay. If it's a couple weapons and a couple maps...not so great.

I guess we just have to wait and see.

How I look at that is, say I was going to spend 60 dollars on the base game. Getting it for free allows me to spend that 60 dollars on mods that I want (or even creating my own), making my own custom game. I am sure that there will be a TON of mods out for the game. People still make mods for UT99. Finding content will not be a problem.

The only thing I really wish, is that they don't make a far fetched storyline. Just stick with the basics. Liandri Corporation Tournament.

My real concern there is both the quality and the support for user-generated content.

I think the concern about the user-generated paid content model is potential fragmenting of whatever community forms around the game. Having a strong core game would mean that every user gets a good experience regardless of how invested they become. No guarantees of that with this model.

I'm sure Epic is thinking about these issues as well. Hopefully they come up with good solutions. I'd be happy if the base game included the full weapon set (the standard 9 plus the redeemer), some game modes, and a map or two for each game mode. That would seem reasonable to me.

How do they really even plan to profit off of such an experiment? A lot of daring actions on Epic's part and I'm not so sure how a community based game will fare seeing how it literally destroyed the Gears of War Universe when they started listening to the dysfunctional "community".

Guess you can't bitch that it's free, but at the same time we've seen complete F2P no play-to-win games come out in the past. Most have failed.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?4474-The-Future-of-Unreal-Tournament

Steven Polge
Unreal Engine Developer

The Future of Unreal Tournament!

May 8, 2014 Steve Polge

The Future of Unreal Tournament Begins Today.

Work on the future of Unreal Tournament begins today, and we’re happy to announce that we’re going to do this together, with you. We know that fans of the game are as passionate about Unreal Tournament as we are. We know that you have great ideas and strong opinions about where the game should go and what it should be. So let’s do something radical and make this game together, in the open, and for all of us.

Here’s the plan:

• We’ve created a small team of UT veterans that are beginning work on the project starting today.
• From the very first line of code, the very first art created and design decision made, development will happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans and UE4 developers. We’ll be using forums for discussion, and Twitch streams for regular updates.
• If you are a fan and you want to participate, create a free account and join the forum discussion.
• All code and content will be available live to UE4 developers on GitHub.
• The game will be true to its roots as a competitive FPS.
• Development will be focused on Windows, Mac and Linux.

So what’s the catch?

• It will take many months until the game is playable by gamers. This is real development from scratch.
• When the game is playable, it will be free. Not free to play, just free.
• We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.

A lot of this is brand new for Epic, and we don’t yet have everything figured out. Things will probably definitely go wrong from time to time, and when they do, we’ll have to work through them together. There will be a lot of tough decisions to make, and not every feature will make it into the game. But if you’re a fan of Unreal Tournament, a UE4 developer, or a future modder – or if you just want to learn how we make games – we hope you’ll join us. It’s going to be fun.

Want to get involved?

• Want more detail on the project? Read our wiki.
• Want to participate & give feedback? These forums are the place to do it. Sign up for a free account here to join Unreal Engine 4 community.
• Just interested in getting updates? Subscribe to our newsletter.
• In case you want to check out the classic Unreal Tournament games, we’ve put them on sale on Steam.

Same link as Krenum posted above. Still is not totally clear on how this will all work, but we just have to wait and see at this point.

I'd be happy if the base game included the full weapon set (the standard 9 plus the redeemer), some game modes, and a map or two for each game mode. That would seem reasonable to me.

Yeah, same here. But at that point you have a mostly completed game, so why not just sell it for a normal price? This whole pricing scheme makes me think there will be very little in the base game itself.

You make a really good point about community fragmentation, as well...another huge downside to this model.

Go back and look at my post Krenum! I called it! I'm a gaming prophet. Free to Play nonsense! You still want me to shut my whore mouth!?

lol at the pic btw

I knew they would have to give this away. Not because I don't love Unreal games. I played those to death. Just because I don't believe they can sell it.

They specifically stated that the game will not be "Free 2 Play" and that it will just be free....I can't think of a better way for this to be developed and I'm glad they are focusing on PC, Mac and Linux.

Awesome!

Free to Play nonsense!

Accept it isn't F2P. Just free. I still win. :D Also, everyone knows that you don't make money now days by selling the product, you sell the services & addons to make your money. So in that respect you aren't a "gaming profit". This is common business knowledge that everyone already knew or should have known.

Yes, that pic was very funny :p

Last edited:
They specifically stated that the game will not be "Free 2 Play" and that it will just be free....I can't think of a better way for this to be developed and I'm glad they are focusing on PC, Mac and Linux.

Awesome!

My thoughts exactly!

Called this shit.
But I'm not completely opposed by the idea. It'll be like TF2, but different. Maybe...

I bet they still fuck this up...

Called this shit.
But I'm not completely opposed by the idea. It'll be like TF2, but different. Maybe...

I bet they still fuck this up...

Its give and take man,

I'd rather have it free and PC only than to have it cross platformed like that GearsofTournament abomination.

Last edited:
Its give and take man,

I'd rather have it free and PC only than to have it cross platformed like that GearsofTournament abomination.

GearsofTournament, lol!

I bet that is exactly what we get... but, it's early. I'm still pessimistic.
Epic feels a lot like SquareEnix to me. I can actually say I haven't bought an Epic game in over 10 years, thats to say they haven't made a thing I like in those last 10 years. We'll see...

I'm very optimistic thus far. I just hope that they keep the cleint/server multi-player model of previous UT releases.

Fuck You IWnet.

^^ This. I doubt it will be a truly, 100% free game with no strings attached. I guess they need to make content for tech demos and it can go towards a game, but I doubt they will fund what must be $8 million in salaries alone and give it away for free.

Whatever guys,

The true fans will play and enjoy/make this game. All you wannabes or hasbeens can stick with your casual friendly COD / BF garbage. You wouldn't last a second in the Arena with any of us Unreal Tournament / Quake guys anyways.

This could turn out better than ever expected or it could become a colossal cluster fuck of epic proportions.

On the one hand it looks like Epic has come to the realization that fostering and engaging with the community is a fundamental cornerstone of creating a successful MP focused game. On the other hand the monetisation of micro transactions is always cause for concern.

To me it seems they are shooting for the TF2 financial model which is incredibly lucrative for Valve (estimated 139 million generated in 2013). I stopped playing it after they started screwing around with unlocks so have no idea how much the market place impacted upon game play design.

• We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.

Back