Unreal Tournament 4/2015

So, what's the status of this game anyway? Looking through this thread it's hard to piece together.

What is the status? Is this game ready to go? I find it hard to believe this will have any community but if it does I am down.

Horde mode, or Invasion, has always been a community gametype that pitted a team of players against monsters from Unreal. It has always been one of the most popular and long-lasting gametypes in UT. There are still populated invasion servers running on the original UT!

Horde mode, or Invasion, has always been a community gametype that pitted a team of players against monsters from Unreal. It has always been one of the most popular and long-lasting gametypes in UT. There are still populated invasion servers running on the original UT!
OK if we're talking mods that's completely different. I read DWolvins question as if the vanilla UT had such gametype. Invasion is indeed a lot of fun :cool:

UT is still an awesome game thanks to the community made content. I still get together with a few buddies and have a blast going all Leroy Jenkins on them. And beers.:woot:

Yea- I think I was thinking Unreal, not UT, but either way- fun times. But I am a UT whore, loved them all, they are just different. I no longer have the time to maintain my twitch reflexes, I hope that I can find a mode to play in this- it runs / looks / feels really good.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
So, what's the status of this game anyway? Looking through this thread it's hard to piece together.

Its in playable pre-alpha form, free to download and play right now. Its current state includes:

-21 playable maps, 4 having been textures and the rest still WIP;
-several game modes, including DM, TDM, CTF, Duel, Instagib, etc;
-a server browser and local match hosting;
-reworked models for many weapons, including KazeoHin's sexy flak cannon;
-two character models;
-stat tracking, achievements and a leveling system which allows unlocking of cosmetic items.

For a pre-alpha, it is incredibly polished and bug free. Given the price, I highly recommend just trying it for yourself.

What is the status? Is this game ready to go? I find it hard to believe this will have any community but if it does I am down.

For a free game that is not P2W, I would hope that it will attract a thriving community as it progresses towards release.

It was called Team Arena Master
TAM was always a great mode! No hunting for weapons or timing the power ups and weapons. Everyone started at the same level, and it was all about the skill.

UT4 is fun, and I play it from time to time. I only hope TAM and some type of Onslaught are eventually rolled out for it. Warefare exists, and I dont see why they cant simply bring out an Onslaught for it and make it like UT2k4's.

what map? I only noticed how horrible the death animations/physics look...

I love the Unreal and UT games, but something in the world aesthetics just doesn't do it for me. Absolutely loving the new weapon models, and the game play looks good though. I'm not sure what it is about the maps that makes me feel like this. Maybe when I see more tech/space based maps, my mind might change. I like the ruins-based natural looking levels, but there's something about them that doesn't feel quite right. What I need to do though, is download it, and give it a whirl. Maybe it looks better "in person" than the videos. Think I'll give it a shot after I finish Doom.

stylistically it's all over the place, always has been... generic marine/alien/robot in generic tech/castle/tomb with a healthy dose of american-gladiator/sports theme... some people like the variety, apparently, but no doubt it ends up looking like a big community project without a singular cohesive art direction. just look at the sniper rifle, it looks like it belongs to a different game than the rocket launcher

another thing, seems they design/tweak levels with gray slabs and only then the art team comes in to fill things in with texture/detail/theme without adjusting proportions to resemble what we'd expect in that particular setting. This is mostly a problem with castle/city maps as we've lived and walked around them a lot, and were mostly never designed for 40mph running and rocket jumping. something like a dark ruin or space station they can get away with more, because they are more foreign to us.

in other words the maps are very "arena friendly" and have that kinda feel, while the style/motif is less of a priority and in many cases irrelevant to the gameplay. turn off textures/details and they all start to "feel" the same...

none of it is inherently "bad", it just seems in particular to UT compared to other similar franchises

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I was avoiding using the direct comparison, but I was internally comparing to id games, which I've always preferred aesthetically. id games can be a little all over the place too in terms of setting, but they still manage to pull it all together somehow. They also tend to create everything bigger (larger than life I guess) which makes the levels, geometry, machinery, etc. pop more IMO. The two companies make very similar TYPES of games, but they look and feel very differently.

stylistically it's all over the place, always has been... generic marine/alien/robot in generic tech/castle/tomb with a healthy dose of american-gladiator/sports theme... some people like the variety, apparently, but no doubt it ends up looking like a big community project without a singular cohesive art direction. just look at the sniper rifle, it looks like it belongs to a different game than the rocket launcher

none of it is inherently "bad", it just seems in particular to UT compared to other similar franchises

Based solely on that video, the weapon models all look pretty much inline to me. The sniper rifle is indeed less mechanical looking - very sleek in comparison - but it's a sniper rifle, it shouldn't look anything like a rocket launcher capable of firing a barrage of rockets. If anything, the Bio Rifle looks the most different to me, but it's also delivering a completely different payload so I'm not bothered by it.

"Generic marine/alien/robot in generic tech/castle/tomb with a healthy dose of american-gladiator/sports theme" is pretty spot on though, haha!

The only weapon model I'm not totally liking in this is the minigun, but then, I've thought this since UT (99). It's not horrible, but for some reason it looks a little cartoony to me. The others are all looking pretty good to me otherwise. I need to watch the videos again, but I was hoping to see Stinger and Razorjack style weapons. I think I talked to someone about the Razorjack, and that it would make an appearance in some maps.

Nice! I think I'll finally give it a shot. I set up an Epic account for Shadow Complex a while back, so I'll download this tonight. Just in time for the 1070 I installed.

Yeah, the whole separate downloader and launcher pisses me off.

Pretty much this exact reason why I rarely play UT or Fortnite.

People will put up with pretty much anything if a game is good. It's tough to get people excited for betas though, let alone games in pre-alpha stages, and I've seen a number of devs essentially engage in self-sabotage by drawing too much attention to their unfinished games (Natural Selection 2 comes to mind).

I'm hopeful we'll see a great server community surrounding UT4 but after so many years of devs/publishers going the opposite direction and not providing dedicated servers I'm impatient!

I tried it 4 or 5 months ago, it was fun but didnt quite feel like UT99 enough for me. What was there was good but it felt more like 2k3 / 2k4. I'll try it again in another few months and see how its progressed. Dunno if I'll keep going after that though unless its amazing.

always loved UT's! so, I must register with epic to be able to download and install this pre alpha?

Yep- but it's worth it if you like UT. I'm not very good, but the game is, and getting better all the time (imho).

got ya! ya, I as I said. I always loved the UT's... love the constant motion.. zerg like killing..

Based on the latest chatter on the UT forums, it seems development has stopped by the main Epic devs who are now focusing on other projects:

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtou...me-general-discussion/393499-has-work-stopped

There have been no updates for several months - hoping the project is not dead. I really wanted this to succeed but we are almost 4 years into this and still don't have a complete game. I would gladly pay for this game if they manage to get it finished.

Awww... That sucks. I am not a twitch player anymore but I was pulling for this. It looks good and (IMHO) plays well.

I stand by the post I quoted a year ago...this really should have been on Steam or some other prominent platform.

I think so too, but Fortnite is pretty popular so hopefully it can bring in more players.

Based on the latest chatter on the UT forums, it seems development has stopped by the main Epic devs who are now focusing on other projects:

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtou...me-general-discussion/393499-has-work-stopped

There have been no updates for several months - hoping the project is not dead. I really wanted this to succeed but we are almost 4 years into this and still don't have a complete game. I would gladly pay for this game if they manage to get it finished.

That would be a shame. Unfortunately the online population is dead in my region, they need to release some team orientated modes like onslaught and assault to get people interested again.

I was just thinking about this game the other day and wondering why it wasn't completed by now.

Back