Unreal Engine V!!!

Lifelite

Supreme [H]ardness

This is insane....all running on a PS5. Looks like it'll cut down development cost/time in a big way.

Sexy pixels.

Shit like this truly amazes me and I feel like people are becoming so complacent and unenthusiastic about stuff like this because every generation is only looking slightly better rather than being a generational leap like what we saw with say PS1 to PS2 or PS2 to PS3. But stuff like this still impresses the hell out of me and I am constantly impressed every time I pick up a modern title or pick up my smartphone and just thinking back to where shit was just 15 years ago. I remember being blown away when Valve first showed the tech demo for Half Life 2, and now in a REALLY small amount of time real-time graphics and games look better than CGI from Hollywood movies. It's always helpful to me to have perspective. Kids coming up these days will never appreciate this stuff the way some of us older guys do because we lived through the infancy of this stuff... we watched it grow... future generations will only watch this stuff evolve on a much smaller scale over longer periods of time and advancements in technology only lose their wonder and magic or rather not lose but rather have smaller of an impact. I can think back to 14 year old me and never imagine that in such a short time that real-time graphics technology would look vastly better than even the best CGI of the period.

Last edited:
Yeah, impressive indeed. I remember as a kid saying how immersive the cutscenes for Ninja Gaiden were. High school comes around and Tekken had the most realistic graphics and blew me away. Things like this are what dreams are made of. I still want to make a game hyper real. Not every game needs to look like this, but the tech that runs it can help many genre.

Techy stuff below:

Unreal Engine demos are always nice eye candy/tech demos...same with 3D Mark benchmarks...lets see this tech in actual games...

There’s some very interesting stuff in there. Getting polys down to voxel like granularity is awesome.

The thing that had me going omfg professionally though was the talk about taking photogrammetry to assets. If the workflow on that is manageable and they light well (tbh even if they don’t) it’s a game changer for me.

Unreal Engine demos are always nice eye candy/tech demos...same with 3D Mark benchmarks...lets see this tech in actual games...

This is running in-engine on a Playstation 5. This is pretty much gameplay and it looks like they created somewhat of a a "game" around this demo, or this could actually be a full title in the works... but I get what you mean.

There’s some very interesting stuff in there. Getting polys down to voxel like granularity is awesome.

The thing that had me going omfg professionally though was the talk about taking photogrammetry to assets. If the workflow on that is manageable and they light well (tbh even if they don’t) it’s a game changer for me.
Great, then we can look forward to games pushing the terabyte level for the amount of storage needed going forward. Everyone's going to love only being able to have one game installed at a time.

Deus Ex would look I would say Tom Raider but I end up never playing them.

Looks alright I guess. Nothing that hasn't been done before, except more shiny. Keep in mind this is just a demo and not actual gameplay.

id Software signs onboard. Makes game where you enter dark rooms. walls open up, monsters come out and you kill them. But it's really really pretty.

Great, then we can look forward to games pushing the terabyte level for the amount of storage needed going forward. Everyone's going to love only being able to have one game installed at a time.

I suspect that FS2020 is establishing the future model of that, i.e that a lot of assets will stream rather than be storing locally. Plus I'd imagine that there is some stuff about the way they are stored. As I understand it, it actually reduces storage needs and effort to have many more polygons but accurate lighting as it means you can rely on polys for texture etc rather than faking it into textures and maps. I'm pretty niave on it though. I use experts for that stuff.

For my (non gaming) use cases I'd be looking at the nvidia streaming tech to basically keep it in the data centre and just send the screens as latency doesn't matter. I don't really know anything about this stuff in a gaming context.

Man I want to get my company's hands on this or at least speak to Epic.

Last edited:
Epic has been pushing hard in the non-gaming sector, I can see Hollywood (and other studios) using this tech. People who use apps like Houdini can take advantage of this due to the need for procedural content. Maybe not now, but soon we will be able to say "No more need for rendering.." when making shots in 3D for film.

As for 3D scans, check out Quixel. They are one of the leaders in this tech. I would like to try a project with their library in the future (as it's where realistic games are heading).

Defense industry can take more higher res sat/imaging data, use AI to remove all the vegetation/man-made items from the images, and re-create full 3D objects then populate the world for training. (Dreaming.. I used to do this crap by hand for 100's of square km of data)

Looks alright I guess. Nothing that hasn't been done before, except more shiny. Keep in mind this is just a demo and not actual gameplay.

Nothing that hasn't been done before, aside from getting rid of LOD and being able to stream 8K textures on demand with zero pop-in or stuttering. It's not "more shiny" either. The texture quality is great and the lighting is insanely good. It's still very obviously "not real life", but it really is a "next gen" leap in technology. This is technically gameplay as well. It's a real demo that can be played (Epic said it would have been playable at GDC, had GDC happened this year). It's not a full game, but it is still "real".

Give it a few years and it'll get there. Look back at the early UE4 tech demos, people said that would be impossible on current gen hardware and we're well past that. Remember everyone raving about the SqaureEnix Agni's Philosophy tech demo seven years ago? Long past that too. Out of the gate, we won't see all of this from UE5 games but give it 3-4 years and it could be a thing.

Give it a few years and it'll get there. Look back at the early UE4 tech demos, people said that would be impossible on current gen hardware and we're well past that. Remember everyone raving about the SqaureEnix Agni's Philosophy tech demo seven years ago? Long past that too. Out of the gate, we won't see all of this from UE5 games but give it 3-4 years and it could be a thing.

4 years is a long time...wouldn't developers have had the tools for awhile now...why not let the developers have it in their hands for a year or 2 and then release these type of demo videos...

4 years is a long time...wouldn't developers have had the tools for awhile now...why not let the developers have it in their hands for a year or 2 and then release these type of demo videos...

Because they also want to show developers what is possible. The engine won’t be out until next year. They don’t make these demos solely for gamers.

Epic has been pushing hard in the non-gaming sector, I can see Hollywood (and other studios) using this tech. People who use apps like Houdini can take advantage of this due to the need for procedural content. Maybe not now, but soon we will be able to say "No more need for rendering.." when making shots in 3D for film.

As for 3D scans, check out Quixel. They are one of the leaders in this tech. I would like to try a project with their library in the future (as it's where realistic games are heading).

Defense industry can take more higher res sat/imaging data, use AI to remove all the vegetation/man-made items from the images, and re-create full 3D objects then populate the world for training. (Dreaming.. I used to do this crap by hand for 100's of square km of data)

While many think that Unreal Engine is limited to gaming, that is not the case. According to Quentin Quentin Staes-Polet, General Manager, India and SEA, of Epic Games, the Unreal Engine is transforming many industries from movie production to broadcasting and automobiles. Quentin says the game technology was (not !?) invented purely to support game developers.

“Unreal Engine and the main push in India for us was actually not gaming but the use of the engine by moviemakers, broadcasters, animation and VFX houses, architects to do simulation and 3D visualisation of data. The features we are adding in the engine are going to change both the film and broadcasting industry very dramatically.”

https://indianexpress.com/article/technology/gaming/epic-games-unreal-engine-5-interview-6421867/

So humans in the span of 60 years created that from nuts and bolts.

We are so living in a Matrix it's not even funny. I wonder what the species that created our reality can really do on their tech? If we can do this in 60 years, give some other race 15 billion years.

Yeah. We live in a matrix.

Nothing that hasn't been done before, aside from getting rid of LOD and being able to stream 8K textures on demand with zero pop-in or stuttering.

Which is all dictated by processing power, not the engine. And LOD is going to exist simply due to memory requirements, although you can push the high-res textures out farther in order to hide the worst pop-in.

It's not "more shiny" either. The texture quality is great and the lighting is insanely good.

Again, processing power. We can do a ton of lighting effects that you don't normally see, but shy away from them because things like dynamic light diffusion is *very* expensive computationally and a *very* minor detail for most people. [As an aside, Ray Tracing does this type of thing for free, which is why it's so attractive.]

The real problem is these consoles are coming out right at the front-edge of Ray Tracing being viable, so while they can certainly so limited Ray Tracing effects, it's not feasible for entire games to be built that way. So we'll probably be waiting for the *next* generation for full Ray Tracing.

Back