Unreal Engine 5 Revealed! Running real time on Playstation 5

thanks to features such as its asset-scaling tech Nanite, Unreal Engine 5 will be able to deliver both higher quality results and more efficient workflows, which could broaden the technology’s appeal beyond just AAA game developers.

“Independent developers tend to wear a lot of hats.They are designers, artists, programmers and storytellers, and removing the time they have to spend on the technical details of game development allows them to spend more time on what makes their game fun and unique.”

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ve-dream-of-movie-quality-graphics-says-epic/

via FPS Review

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...in-era-of-movie-quality-graphics-claims-epic/

The chief technology officer of Epic (which recently stunned the gaming world with its Unreal Engine 5 demo) has boldly suggested (via Video Games Chronicle) that Sony and Microsoft’s next-generation consoles can deliver graphics that are on par with modern blockbusters. Apparently, this level of fidelity will be enabled by Nanite, a core technology of Unreal Engine 5 (surprised?) that allows for unprecedented levels of geometric detail.

“It has been a lifelong dream of mine that real-time computer graphics, and in particular games, can be as believable and realistic as a movie”

— said Epic CTO Kim Liberi.

huh interesting. sounds like the gpu accesses nvme drives directly, speeding things up, if i understood that correctly.
and:
"Andrew Burnes Admin • 27 minutes ago
Hi. RTX IO is supported on all GeForce RTX Turing and NVIDIA Ampere-architecture GPUs."

Seems like they are firing on all cylinders at the moment indeed.
Nice with the back-compatibility with Turing.

And NVIDIA just told consoles that the PC has some tricks too...
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/
huh interesting. sounds like the gpu accesses nvme drives directly, speeding things up, if i understood that correctly.
and:
"Andrew Burnes Admin • 27 minutes ago
Hi. RTX IO is supported on all GeForce RTX Turing and NVIDIA Ampere-architecture GPUs."
Answers that "I wonder if..." that's been sitting in the back of my mind. Yeah, desktop GPUs should be able to do that, it would just take some cooperative effort. Seems Nvidia has already made that leap; will AMD be able to do something similar with their desktop GPUs, considering that the solution that Sony is using is proprietary to Sony...?

Mind you, you'll pay as much for an RTX 3070 Founders Edition as you likely will for an entire PS5 (or Xbox Series X). It's the classic PC dilemma: you can outperform a console fairly quickly, but you might spend three or four times more to do it.

I outgrew console graphics years ago.

I outgrew console graphics years ago.

But you didn't outgrow childish platform elitism, apparently.

Imagine just wanting to let people have fun and being happy that the PS5 is delivering graphics that currently require a much more expensive PC to achieve. That PC can have its advantages, and it might make more sense in some cases (say, if you simply prefer a mouse and keyboard), but that doesn't make this any less exciting or lower the worth of console gaming.

But you didn't outgrow childish platform elitism, apparently.

Imagine just wanting to let people have fun and being happy that the PS5 is delivering graphics that currently require a much more expensive PC to achieve. That PC can have its advantages, and it might make more sense in some cases (say, if you simply prefer a mouse and keyboard), but that doesn't make this any less exciting or lower the worth of console gaming.

Nice fallacy.
PC gaming image quality > console image quality.
Simple as that.
I am not alone in this view, look eg. at DF's look at "Death Stranding".

You seem upset that I set the bar higher than consoles can provide...your problem.

Nice fallacy.
Simple as that.

You seem upset that I set the bar higher than consoles can provide...your problem.

Still doesn't change the fact that the consoles will be cheaper which was his point. I also expect a console at the tail end of its life cycle won't look as good relatively as one at launch. 2013 console hardware vs 2019-2020 PCs is going to be a big leap. 2020 consoles vs 2020 PC hardware, not as much.

GPU prices are insane at the moment. $500 (real world price of $550 more than likely) for an 8GB RTX 3070 is crazy. I had an 8GB GPU 4 years ago, and I paid $390 or so for it.

To be honest, I don’t know if PCs would catch up all that fast. If we are only talking about a certain aspect of gameplay or world design it might take a very long time for the PC market to justify that transition. Especially if it’s not a disruptive technology. It could just be Sony’s niche thing that is cool in a way but nothing so significant that folks clamor too.

I know for sure their first parties will be doing cool thing with it but again, unless it’s something truly remarkable that’s a must have where Xbox or PC players say “OMG” it might not make its way to PC in any other way other than normal attrition and market demand.

I think it’s at least intriguing if anything. MS has the lead in raw TFLOPSs and Sony has the lead in raw I/O so Digital Foundry companions will be interesting.

See nVidia's impending gpu line up, pretty sure pc's gonna be just fine.

Still doesn't change the fact that the consoles will be cheaper which was his point. I also expect a console at the tail end of its life cycle won't look as good relatively as one at launch. 2013 console hardware vs 2019-2020 PCs is going to be a big leap. 2020 consoles vs 2020 PC hardware, not as much.

GPU prices are insane at the moment. $500 (real world price of $550 more than likely) for an 8GB RTX 3070 is crazy. I had an 8GB GPU 4 years ago, and I paid $390 or so for it.

How is the perfomance comparison?
You cannot have your cake and eat it too...

Nice fallacy.
Simple as that.

Only that's a vast oversimplification of things. A console delivers a lot more for the money, and in the near term next-gen consoles will have some superiority due to optimization. Yeah, you could buy a Ryzen 9 rig of death with an RTX 3080 and a Samsung 980 Pro, but when UE5 arrives there's no guarantee that your rig will actually make full use of its components. You'll get a higher-res image and higher frame rates, but the underlying game may not look much better (if at all) than it does on a PS5.

Only that's a vast oversimplification of things. A console delivers a lot more for the money, and in the near term next-gen consoles will have some superiority due to optimization. Yeah, you could buy a Ryzen 9 rig of death with an RTX 3080 and a Samsung 980 Pro, but when UE5 arrives there's no guarantee that your rig will actually make full use of its components. You'll get a higher-res image and higher frame rates, but the underlying game may not look much better (if at all) than it does on a PS5.

We have heard the "optimazation" argument ever since the first consoles...boring and never actually amounts to anything real world.

I will bet that CyberPunk 2077 will not only have a far better image quality on my PC than the PS5...it will do so offering far grater performance.

You game?

We have heard the "optimazation" argument ever since the first consoles...boring and never actually amounts to anything real world.

I will bet that CyberPunk 2077 will not only have a far better image quality on my PC than the PS5...it will do so offering far grater performance.

You game?

Look up what strawman means.

See the bit in bold there?

Most PC games don't look much different going from high or medium high to ultra these days. Back in the early 2000s a game on low vs high looked like an entirely different game. This isn't really the case anymore. Graphical quality outside of frame rates and resolution won't be that notable when the PS5/Series X are released but as always the gap will grow as the console generation gets older.

Nice fallacy.

What fallacy? You implied that to enjoy console graphics is childish (hence outgrowing them) and they rebutted that your platform elitism is childish and maybe you should just let people enjoy what they want to enjoy. I.E. not being a prick about people enjoying console graphics.

PCs are better, everyone gets it, you can still let people enjoy consoles without belittling them.

I feel like console gamers actually play games.

PC gamers (well, speaking for myself) spend more time researching parts, buying needless upgrades, tweaking settings, arguing about rumors on the forum, etc. What time left is there to actually play a game?

I feel like console gamers actually play games.

PC gamers (well, speaking for myself) spend more time researching parts, buying needless upgrades, tweaking settings, arguing about rumors on the forum, etc. What time left is there to actually play a game?
I’d say my time was split. PC wise I definitely fell into what you’re saying and the benchmarking my rig trap. I still played plenty though, mostly though that was games that just ran well without troubleshooting.

Console wise it’s similar. More games just run but I still spend way too much time neglecting them for other hobbies. I mean I literally have Ghost of Tsushima pause and have been dicking about on my phone instead for a bit now. Of course that’s neither a Console or PC thing and more likely an undiagnosed depression or mild ADD on my part. PC or Console I have days I can just look at a list of games Im halfway through and love and want to play and then turn on Futurama to watch instead.... ah well.

Back