Unreal Engine 5 Revealed! Running real time on Playstation 5

Pretty sure we're about to go back to physical game distribution except they're just going to ship you a fucking hard drive

Sweet Jesus

Hope this continues to follow the extremely open nature of UE4.

Pretty sure we're about to go back to physical game distribution except they're just going to ship you a fucking hard drive

Sweet Jesus

Hope this continues to follow the extremely open nature of UE4.
All UE5 games will be exclusive to the new Epic Gamestream store.

My mind is blown.... If what they say about how their new stuff handles art imports they just saved any dev company using this a lot of money. A lot of companies are going to have to seriously step up their game or just stop using their in-house engines as a result.

My mind is blown.... If what they say about how their new stuff handles art imports they just saved any dev company using this a lot of money. A lot of companies are going to have to seriously step up their game or just stop using their in-house engines as a result.

Yeah Quixel is free for Unreal devs. It's pretty insane.

I imagine any AAA dev just eats the cost to use them but it's a crazy deal.

Plus this is just an outright game changer if it works as well as it seems here with no strings attached. Just "fuck it" and throw whatever the fuck you want at the engine geometry wise? There's gotta be some catches here and there, but still, this is pretty bonkers.

The main catch, as was suggested earlier, is storage. People grouse about 100GB games today, but using movie-quality 3D models and textures for everything? The increase won't be as big as feared, especially since you can use very dense compression on the PS5 and Xbox Series X, but don't be surprised if you're installing 200GB-plus games. I would definitely recommend getting the largest storage option available when these consoles ship.

WOW, that looked incredible. Can’t wait to see what the near future holds for us with the Xbox Series X / PS5 / and latest PC titles

Yeah Quixel is free for Unreal devs. It's pretty insane.

I imagine any AAA dev just eats the cost to use them but it's a crazy deal.

Plus this is just an outright game changer if it works as well as it seems here with no strings attached. Just "fuck it" and throw whatever the fuck you want at the engine geometry wise? There's gotta be some catches here and there, but still, this is pretty bonkers.
I know, I wonder if it’s using some sort of AI to remap the polygons, but a lot of man power is traditionally put into looking over and “optimizing” meshes and textures, if they have a tool that does the bulk of that work that is a game changer for developers. I was not expecting unreal to launch a new engine not at all I thought 4 was fantastic and the community around it really strong, improvements to 4 yeah but not a 5.... I’m going to spend too much time today thinking about this....

I just learned of Unreal’s mega scans library...
https://quixel.com/megascans
This is a lot of awesome.

Last edited:
Seems like the console was having no problems playing that at all and it looked quite nice. Just not sure how real I want my games to feel tho.

Looks impressive, but I always have a lot of doubt for one of these tightly scripted fake gameplay segments. Importing high res models is awesome, but I can just envision some developers just going overboard and bloating the assets to ungodly sizes and poor performance, as if UE doesn’t have enough texture pop-in issues already. The lighting system was straight awesome though.

I can’t wait to see what Capcom does with the hardware to expand their engines.

Thats really impressive. But its not the console speed thats impressive, it’s the UT5 engine. The PS5 level of hardware capability has been around for at least 2-3 years on High end PC. But we didn’t have UT 5 game engine to harness it.

Thats really impressive. But its not the console speed thats impressive, it’s the UT5 engine. The PS5 level of hardware capability has been around for at least 2-3 years on High end PC. But we didn’t have UT 5 game engine to harness it.

Not entirely. Both new consoles will be using raytracing tech that has yet to ship with Radeon hardware, and probably surpasses what's in the current crop of RTX chipsets (even if t the PS5/XSX graphics chips won't pack as much raw power overall). I do agree that some of this is about making the most of existing technology, particularly SSDs. You probably won't see PC games assume an SSD is present for a while yet.

The unreal engine and toolkit are really jaw-dropping pieces of software engineering.

I know developers have been wanting to make changes to the rendering pipeline for a few years now but the tech wasn’t there universally enough to do it. I wonder if we’ve finally passed the tipping point where they can and not severely limit their audience. Maybe this is the start of a glorious game engine revolution...

Looks awesome.

The accomplishment reminds me of what Euclideon wanted to achieve with their Unlimited Detail voxel engine project.

Damn, time to relearn Unreal Engine for my Video Game Design course I teach :(. Probably time to request new computers soon too, video cards are not going to cut it.

i'm definitely going to need a new video card! that looks absolutely incredible. i still remember drooling over the graphics of quake 2 when i got the gpu running....

Damn, time to relearn Unreal Engine for my Video Game Design course I teach :(. Probably time to request new computers soon too, video cards are not going to cut it.

Sadly, they will - which is part of the value proposition of such an engine: scalability with in-the-wild platforms.

But I'll go along with this to not ruin your budget pitch. :D

The biggest thing that is new is the ssd speeds the sony is employing. Read this quote from Tim Sweeny

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...xt-gen-unreal-engine-running-on-playstation-5

'One of the big efforts that's been done and is ongoing in Unreal Engine 5 now is optimising for next generation storage to make loading faster by multiples of current performance. Not just a little bit faster but a lot faster, so that you can bring in this geometry and display it, despite it not all fitting and memory, you know, taking advantage of next generation SSD architectures and everything else... Sony is pioneering here with the PlayStation 5 architecture. It's got a God-tier storage system which is pretty far ahead of PCs, bon a high-end PC with an SSD and especially with NVMe, you get awesome performance too." '

Just how far ahead is this ps5 ssd speed compared to the highest end pc ssd? I remember AMD experimenting with putting ssd's onto graphics cards to give access to more storage to get around the limitations of vram, but apparently sony did an end run around this problem by creating a super fast ssd.

My question is whether pci express 4 has the bandwidth and speed to match sonys implementation? And if so, how long before we have access to ssds for the pc market that match or surpass what sony has?

This is one area where it sounds like Sony's console has pc users beat, and that allows larger worlds to be drawn in real time.

Also, for pc hardware upgrades, SSD speed might become more important than it has in the past. I've taken a good enough approach so far to nvme ssd speeds, but if there is some greater tangible benefit about being able to load larger levels and worlds in real time with ultra fast ssds, I'll have to spend more there.

Reactions: noko
like this
Can anyone help me understand the difference between this Lumen lighting system and ray tracing. They seem pretty similar.

Sadly, they will - which is part of the value proposition of such an engine: scalability with in-the-wild platforms.

unreal engine scales, but to do what is in this demo, you need some horsepower. Compiling would take a while, it's CPU intensive.

Some say the future of graphics lies in Voxels.

Opinion?

I want to say I am on K2000 cards, I don't recall. They are about 5 year old Lenovos with i7 5xxx and 32GB of RAM ( really unbalanced... I know).

What if I wake up tomorrow and find myself in 2021, dread creeping over me like a rolling fog as I realize everything I've lived, known and loved, has just been rendered in Unreal Engine 5

1589392018797.png

I want to say I am on K2000 cards, I don't recall. They are about 5 year old Lenovos with i7 5xxx and 32GB of RAM ( really unbalanced... I know).

I stand corrected. Upgrade! :D

I have a machine with a K2000 which is actually my "no GPU" test farm. That says something. ;)

The biggest thing that is new is the ssd speeds the sony is employing. Read this quote from Tim Sweeny

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...xt-gen-unreal-engine-running-on-playstation-5

'One of the big efforts that's been done and is ongoing in Unreal Engine 5 now is optimising for next generation storage to make loading faster by multiples of current performance. Not just a little bit faster but a lot faster, so that you can bring in this geometry and display it, despite it not all fitting and memory, you know, taking advantage of next generation SSD architectures and everything else... Sony is pioneering here with the PlayStation 5 architecture. It's got a God-tier storage system which is pretty far ahead of PCs, bon a high-end PC with an SSD and especially with NVMe, you get awesome performance too." '

Just how far ahead is this ps5 ssd speed compared to the highest end pc ssd? I remember AMD experimenting with putting ssd's onto graphics cards to give access to more storage to get around the limitations of vram, but apparently sony did an end run around this problem by creating a super fast ssd.

My question is whether pci express 4 has the bandwidth and speed to match sonys implementation? And if so, how long before we have access to ssds for the pc market that match or surpass what sony has?

This is one area where it sounds like Sony's console has pc users beat, and that allows larger worlds to be drawn in real time.

Also, for pc hardware upgrades, SSD speed might become more important than it has in the past. I've taken a good enough approach so far to nvme ssd speeds, but if there is some greater tangible benefit about being able to load larger levels and worlds in real time with ultra fast ssds, I'll have to spend more there.
PS5 SSD speeds are just generation 4 PCI-E nvme speeds. They are nothing faster beyond that. The same speed that PC gamers could have for the last almost 10 years if you count prohibitively expensive enterprise SSDs ($10-15k) or over last year year + if you talk about x570 motherboards and relatively inexpensive Gen 4 NVMEs in the consumer space. ($250)

Last edited:
Demo looks great. Is UE5 built from the ground up like UE3 to UE4? Or is it just UE4.5 or something?

Find it interesting they'd switch so soon. Only recently have AAA games been coming out on UE4 due to longer development time these days.

Last edited:
Back