Unreal Engine 5.2- Next-Gen Graphics Tech Demo

Too bad games never actually live up to these tech demos. I mean games are barely at the level of UE3 demos from 10 years ago now.

Maybe on your potatoes. Things have been looking pretty amazing on my high end hardware. UE3 games looked just as amazing as the demo, UE4 games did, and now UE5 games do.

Maybe on your potatoes. Things have been looking pretty amazing on my high end hardware. UE3 games looked just as amazing as the demo, UE4 games did, and now UE5 games do.
Which games? All UE3 games looked like the tech demos? You can't be serious.
I have a feeling my RTX 4090 could run this demo no problem.
it's not that, it's that actual full scale games never look like the tech demos.

Too bad games never actually live up to these tech demos. I mean games are barely at the level of UE3 demos from 10 years ago now.
I think that fair, at least now the people move around a little bit, considering

) Demo are made to look has good as possible and often do not have to run what a game has too nor be responsive like a game, it has quite the advantage to look better
) But artist-effort going into it, is by some magnitude degree lower

But at least now it is really full real time someone moving around with a keyboard demo not something like:

We had real time but cut scene demo quite a bit in the past, and if we talk cut scene, I would imagine game can achieve better than UE3 demos of 10 years ago, for example: https://hardforum.com/threads/senuas-saga-hellblade-ii.1990174/post-1045609057, this is an full tier at least higher

Looking at them, the notion that the 4090 made no sense because it did not full support of Display port 2 will make no sense (already does I feel like) this look like it will make any system of today not be able to do native 4k 120hz at very high to start with.

Which games? All UE3 games looked like the tech demos? You can't be serious.

it's not that, it's that actual full scale games never look like the tech demos.
Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War

What about the unreal 3 Batman game that look better in many ways to the new one ? Would need to be compared to some live action demo, and not cut scene demo too for sure.

What about the unreal 3 Batman game that look better in many ways to the new one ? Would need to be compared to some live action demo, and not cut scene demo too for sure.
Well, That was mainly rocksteady working their magic.

I think that fair, at least now the people move around a little bit, considering

) Demo are made to look has good as possible and often do not have to run what a game has too nor be responsive like a game, it has quite the advantage to look better
) But artist-effort going into it, is by some magnitude degree lower

But at least now it is really full real time someone moving around with a keyboard demo not something like:

We had real time but cut scene demo quite a bit in the past, and if we talk cut scene, I would imagine game can achieve better than UE3 demos of 10 years ago, for example: https://hardforum.com/threads/senuas-saga-hellblade-ii.1990174/post-1045609057, this is an full tier at least higher

Looking at them, the notion that the 4090 made no sense because it did not full support of Display port 2 will make no sense (already does I feel like) this look like it will make any system of today not be able to do native 4k 120hz at very high to start with.

Graphically, Arkham Knight looks similar to this tech demo. Yes the games do tend to lag a few years. But they do catch up eventually. There are games with better graphics than that 2011 UE3 tech demo out now, and have been for some years. In the next few years we will see some UE5 games that look like the tech demo they showed a few years back with their Tomb Raider looking knock off demo.

yeah this is a bit of a stretch...

was what I was about to say before I realized I was thinking of the fucking original tech demo from like 2004 and the crisis started setting in

The Unreal engine is popular for a lot of reasons. One of the reasons - it is popular.
You can hire people familiar with the engine / pipeline / tools, and they can be productive on day one.

It will not make things look and play amazing on its own, but these steps will elevate the field overall as folks become more familiar with more advanced tooling.

The Unreal engine is popular for a lot of reasons. One of the reasons - it is popular.
You can hire people familiar with the engine / pipeline / tools, and they can be productive on day one.

It will not make things look and play amazing on its own, but these steps will elevate the field overall as folks become more familiar with more advanced tooling.
It's also free to develop on. Epic only charges you when you release a product for sale.

It's also free to develop on. Epic only charges you when you release a product for sale.
It's expensive if you're successful, compared to other options, but it's very generous to small devs. It's 5% of revenue after $1 million for any individual title. You pay nothing on a title if it doesn't reach that. Example, I launch a game and it sells through $3 million, I pay $100k. If my next game flops and doesn't top $1m, I pay nothing further.

It's expensive if you're successful, compared to other options, but it's very generous to small devs. It's 5% of revenue after $1 million for any individual title. You pay nothing on a title if it doesn't reach that. Example, I launch a game and it sells through $3 million, I pay $100k. If my next game flops and doesn't top $1m, I pay nothing further.
$100k is significantly less that it would take any dev to develop their own engine, especially a product that is of the caliber of Unreal Engine. Unreal Engine is the Amazon Web Services of the gaming world; you pay as you go, and in return, you get constant updates and new engine technologies as part of that payment. Epic builds the engine. Devs build the game. Both make money.

Win/win IMO.

$100k is significantly less that it would take any dev to develop their own engine, especially a product that is of the caliber of Unreal Engine. Unreal Engine is the Amazon Web Services of the gaming world; you pay as you go, and in return, you get constant updates and new engine technologies as part of that payment. Epic builds the engine. Devs build the game. Both make money.

Win/win IMO.
It was just a small example... Most big titles sell a lot more than $3m ;). It also doesn't include the cost of tooling UE5 for your game in house. As I said, for smaller orgs it's a great deal, large corporate environments may vary. It's an overall generous setup, but there are competitors including unity or using an existing in house engine.

I imagine it depends how the publisher, dev, etc... boil down, has I imagine Unreal points are on gross sales (would be too easy on anything else to manipulate them out of it), say you sales for 1 millions after the first millions. Unreal get only 50k

If Steam took say 30% of that millions and other people (publisher what not, got an other cut), that 50k could be a substantial amount of what went to you from that millions of gross sales, say if 250k went to you it become 25% of the income going toward Unreal, still a nice deal, I imagine in reality third party publisher co-pay for it and it is not that straight forward, but still at a minimum just after the 30% steam cut, it already will not look that small.

UE Sizzle Reel | GDC 2023

I guess that confirms Lies of P is running on UE5? I thought it was running on UE4. Redfall apparently is going to be the first AAA game released on UE5.
Graphically, Arkham Knight looks similar to this tech demo. Yes the games do tend to lag a few years. But they do catch up eventually. There are games with better graphics than that 2011 UE3 tech demo out now, and have been for some years. In the next few years we will see some UE5 games that look like the tech demo they showed a few years back with their Tomb Raider looking knock off demo.
Arkham Knight isn't running on the shipping version of UE3. It was heavily modified by Rocksteady to get it looking like that. UE4 came out too late in the game's development cycle, so Rocksteady worked some magic with UE3 to get it looking that good.

Redfall apparently is going to be the first AAA game released on UE5

Redfall will be using UE4

Redfall runs on Unreal Engine instead of Arkane's Void Engine, right?

Harvey Smith: Indeed. We're using Unreal Engine 4. Halfway through the project, Epic came up with Unreal Engine 5, but the game is based on Unreal Engine 4.26. If we had more time, we would have probably gone with UE5, but it was a lot of work just upgrading to 4.26

That game isn't out yet, so it doesn't really count. And I meant actual in game graphics, not cut scenes. Most games that look better than UE3 tech demos don't actually run on Unreal engine.
It's kind of the same deal with cryengine where crytek inhouse games looked great, but 3rd party games using it usually don't. Except epic doesn't even make in house AAA games anymore, just tech demos.

That game isn't out yet, so it doesn't really count. And I meant actual in game graphics, not cut scenes.
But are you talking that game now do not look nearly as good as old Unreal in game demo or Unreal cut scenes demo ?

It would not surprise me, but I tend to just see the cut scene demos. Even in game graphics vs cutscenes, does the latest Plague Tale game, Call of Duty or even older one like Cyberpunk really do not get close to them ?

Some game (and not just racer sim) now need some half a second time for the brain to comprehend it is not reality, but like you said those 2 are not Unreal 3-4 engine anyway

But are you talking that game now do not look nearly as good as old Unreal in game demo or Unreal cut scenes demo ?

It would not surprise me, but I tend to just see the cut scene demos. Even in game graphics vs cutscenes, does the latest Plague Tale game, Call of Duty or even older one like Cyberpunk really do not get close to them ?

Some game (and not just racer sim) now need some half a second time for the brain to comprehend it is not reality, but like you said those 2 are not Unreal 3-4 engine anyway

No I mean game graphics demos, I don't think I've ever seen any of the cutscene demos.
My only point was that this is not indicative of anything, apart from games might look like this 6-10 years from now.

And I don't think I've said they do not look as good, I said they just barely reached that level. Some games still look worse, like Halo Infinite for example.

No I mean game graphics demos, I don't think I've ever seen any of the cutscene demos.
Just to be sure, isn't this clearly an Unreal cutscene demo and not actual game play:

Usually the really impressive stuff we see are not game plays with a controller, but in engine realtime made cut scene (like many video game use for their cutscene).
The U5 techdemo like the above (or the matrix one), while not an actual demo game, at least are game like scenario with an user input and a basic game loop.

What would be an example of a non cut scene, actual gameplay UE3 demo for which that latest Call of Duty/Plague Tale would have just barely reached that level ?

As much as I may despise it, Fortnite is the definition of AAA.
Is it? It's initial production budget was $300,000. That isn't even AA, that is indie levels of cost. Epic hasn't disclosed the game's ongoing costs, as far as I know, but I am positive it doesn't even approach AAA levels.

Is it? It's initial production budget was $300,000. That isn't even AA, that is indie levels of cost. Epic hasn't disclosed the game's ongoing costs, as far as I know, but I am positive it doesn't even approach AAA levels.

They spend shitloads on it. After Fortnite started popping off they cancelled all their other games and moved everyone to Fortnite along with hiring tons of people. It brings in millions of dollars a day and they spare no expense keeping it updated with new content. They have new content all the time, collaborating with everything popular, Marvel, John Wick, Nike, Halo, etc. They have big events like live concerts from Marshmello and Ariana Grande. They had over 15 million concurrent players in the last Marvel event. They just released a live editor where you can build a custom game and edit the level together with friends. I wouldn't be surprised if they spend more on just server costs than some AAA games do in total development.

Depends what you consider "initial production budget". $300,000 is 6 developers with a $50,000 a year salary. That probably was the tech demo phase where a handful of people worked on a project that would eventually become Fortnite.

Depends what you consider "initial production budget". $300,000 is 6 developers with a $50,000 a year salary. That probably was the tech demo phase where a handful of people worked on a project that would eventually become Fortnite.

At this point Fortnite is bleeding edge Unreal. They dogfood a ton of engine tech though Fortnite.

$300k is probably their monthly AWS bill at this point, or somewhere around single principal engineer.

Unreal Engine: Tech-Demos vs. Games

How do Unreal Engine 3 and Unreal Engine 4 games stack up against their demos?...we made this comparison so you could decide for yourself...

I mean a tech demo can show you what the engine is capable of developers still have to aim for a market they can sell to. I mean anybody could build a game in UE5 that you need a minimum of a 13600K and a 4080TI to play on, but who would buy it?
AAA developers are still making new titles capable of running in mid range hardware from 2014.

Last edited:
I mean a tech demo can show you what the engine is capable of developers still have to aim for a market they can sell to. I mean anybody could build a game in UE5 that you need a minimum of a 13600K and a 4080TI to play on, but who would buy it?
AAA developers are still making new titles capable of running in mid range hardware from 2014.

Exactly. But I still think games tend to come close or be better than the tech demo over the years. The first UE3 games certainly did not look that good. But later builds and some developer in house changes certainly make it look similar. Same with UE4. I think we'll see the same with UE5. Games themselves have a 3-4 year development cycle, so we're only just seeing the first few UE5 games come out now.

Engines have become more and more scaleable. UE5 especially with Nanite. It makes it hell of a lot easier to scale things up to the extreme high end and even future hardware.

Unfortunately some developers hold back on super ultra settings to avoid flak from dumbasses that cry "REEEE game isn't optimized! I can't max it out at 120 fps!".
The entire point of settings is so you can choose better graphics or higher performance and run it how you want. The "max settings" a developer sets are completely arbitrary. One games max settings could be the equivalent of another's medium.

Engines have become more and more scaleable. UE5 especially with Nanite. It makes it hell of a lot easier to scale things up to the extreme high end and even future hardware.

Unfortunately some developers hold back on super ultra settings to avoid flak from dumbasses that cry "REEEE game isn't optimized! I can't max it out at 120 fps!".
The entire point of settings is so you can choose better graphics or higher performance and run it how you want. The "max settings" a developer sets are completely arbitrary. One games max settings could be the equivalent of another's medium.
Sadly more scalable at the expense of storage space. But yes they certainly are now.

Back