Unreal Engine 4 Open World Cinematic

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the description, this video showcasing the Unreal Engine 4 is rendered in real-time at 30fps and includes fully dynamic lighting, cinematic post effects and procedurally placed trees and foliage.

good analogy to their own engine video.

If you love something, set it Free UE4

They didn't show what happens when the kid jumped into the creek water at the beginning ... must mean the game engine doesn't have anything good for water effects :D

Why the fuck is it only 30FPS on a Titan X? If thats all the new Titan call pull off then what hope does any other card?

Why the fuck is it only 30FPS on a Titan X? If thats all the new Titan call pull off then what hope does any other card?

Something at this level of detail would probably have taken a couple of weeks to render on a rendering farm several years ago. Give the Titan X some slack, eh?

Something at this level of detail would probably have taken a couple of weeks to render on a rendering farm several years ago. Give the Titan X some slack, eh?

This. I was surprised by the minimal LOD popping. The blowing trees were a bit much. But hey.

I think what they are trying to show is how far ahead the engine capabilities are, which extends beyond the life cycle of current generation of hardware.

The sad part, we will be lucky to see any games look this good or better, hell, we'll be lucky to see games that actually push any computer, due to shitty console hardware. We are in for 8 years of graphics technology that is already 4 years old.

kid reminded me of the kinect demo with the woman and a sheet of paper that she hands to... milo? and we are still so far away from realistic graphics. some parts of a scene look good, but most still looks way off.

I really hate videos like this. Tech demos showing what can be done with the hardware. Because NO FUCKING GAME DOES THIS QUALITY!

Yes, Ethan Carter was pretty damn good. A few others are pretty good. But, this quality is what I expect from a very high end system. Turn it down for mid-level. It's doable. Developers could do this. NVIDIA shows that it can be done.

I love eye candy like this, though. I just wish more developers would take advantage of the kick ass hardware some people run (and like Total War: Attila, give options to take advantage of hardware for the next generation!).

You would think people would have some perspective.

It is amazing that this can be done in real time now. Just 15 years ago this was the realm of massive prerender farms. Now it can be done in a single box on the fly and be interactive. :eek:

I really hate videos like this. Tech demos showing what can be done with the hardware. Because NO FUCKING GAME DOES THIS QUALITY!

Yes, Ethan Carter was pretty damn good. A few others are pretty good. But, this quality is what I expect from a very high end system. Turn it down for mid-level. It's doable. Developers could do this. NVIDIA shows that it can be done.

I love eye candy like this, though. I just wish more developers would take advantage of the kick ass hardware some people run (and like Total War: Attila, give options to take advantage of hardware for the next generation!).

Unfortunately, despite that game engines make it easier and easier to scale down graphically, developers only develop what they have to (for console hardware). Taking that extra step to go higher quality on components isn't something they do. Why build a high-quality component that can be used across multiple titles (for years) and just optimized/scaled-back, when you can build something quick and dirty now.

They didn't show what happens when the kid jumped into the creek water at the beginning ... must mean the game engine doesn't have anything good for water effects :D

I came to post the same thing. Water is where things usually fall apart.

Far Cry 4 has far more polish and art direction than this tech demo for obvious reasons... but from a pure rendering perspective this demo is a quantum leap ahead of the lighting and LOD tech in FC4.

Taking it for what it is... what a hell of an achievement.

Without a doubt the most impressive piece of real time rendering on consumer hardware I've ever seen.

I remember when UE3 was to be this amazing graphical engine. Then we got Gears of War and other brown/wet/blur filtered games.

UE4 looks like they went in the complete opposite direction and I am glad.

I think what they are trying to show is how far ahead the engine capabilities are, which extends beyond the life cycle of current generation of hardware.

Posts from people like this are what we need more of

Which is exactly what I'd like to see. Unreal and several other games were good at release. But, they gave you a reason to upgrade - move those sliders up a bit more.

Lately, the only reason I've had to upgrade was to add more Skyrim mods. I can still run everything I want (of course, 1080P, so not high res as some of you). I like eye candy. I'll upgrade my system for more eye candy.

Having a capable engine to last another half decade or more and give amazing visuals is going to be nice. It also pushes the competition to up their game. :) Maybe this is the year of the PC gaming updates.

That looks nice. I hope they develop it to allow even bigger environments for vehicle based games. Currently the only readily available engines are pretty much for shooters/RPGs only. If Epic can change this then maybe we'll see some more game variety.

good analogy to their own engine video.

If you love something, set it Free UE4

I am sure that will be lost on many people as it even took me a while to get it. I expect big things from this engine as we see the next generation of games. UE3 showed just how flexible that engine can be and UE4 appears to be even better.

Think back to games like Alone in the Dark - early 3D game (don't think it used 3D hardware). Now this. That's an impressive leap. Sure, this is a tech demo and won't run on our hardware for a while (well, at least most people's hardware).

Glad that some people are showing some perspective on how far graphics rendering has came.

I used to use the POV raytracer back in the day. it would take a couple of days to render a single 800x600 image that was fairly complex on a 486. I think that was about 20 years ago.

we used to watch Babylon 5 an marvel at how they could use a room full of Amiga's to render the scenes in the early seasons. I imagine the series could be rendered in real time nowadays. the original Amiga render farm took 45 minutes to do a single frame.

Makes you wonder if in our lifetimes we will see true Star Trek TNG like holodeck graphics, to where reality is virtually indistinguishable from VR. Bad news for women working on their MRS degrees in college now, as a bunch of guys may say the heck with that and get with an idealized virtual girl instead that won't take half their life's work, heh!

Shitty video. I was expecting a surprise ending where the kid gets devoured by some monster in the cave.

I came to post the same thing. Water is where things usually fall apart.

I like the impossible reflections that occasionally show up from the screen space nature.

mDBnqjJ.png

I guess I just don't have an eye for this stuff anymore. Looks like a relatively small step from a well modded Skyrim to me. I'm sure it's badass for lots of technical reasons and equally sure i"m jaded, but I'm not wow'd.

I guess I just don't have an eye for this stuff anymore. Looks like a relatively small step from a well modded Skyrim to me. I'm sure it's badass for lots of technical reasons and equally sure i"m jaded, but I'm not wow'd.
Skyrim with every graphical mod in existence still doesn't look this good.

Back