Unreal Engine 4 Features Demonstration

If he would have put the hot hammer on the water ball and made steam, I would have been really impressed.

You know who else can't wait for that? Kids that can't build a monster PC that want to enjoy new games. The superiority complex around here is insane.

Anyways, that walkthrough is far more fascinating to me than the Elemental Knight demo itself. Seeing those things being manipulated in real time, in the editor, is pretty amazing. It reminds me of the days when Build and UnrealEd came out after the wonkiness of DoomEd.

Not reaaalllllyyy impressed by this one. Well, at least on the features they showed as this can all be done in other game engines as well. Crytek 1, 2, and 3, Metro Engine, Frostbite, and many other next-gen engines.

So that's why I say that I'm not toooo impressed...I'll wait and see all the other features it has because as it is right now it seems like a one over on UE3.

Awesome video, but the shameless "switch back to show nVidia logo" was a little distracting. Here's hoping for UT 2k13.

Not reaaalllllyyy impressed by this one. Well, at least on the features they showed as this can all be done in other game engines as well. Crytek 1, 2, and 3, Metro Engine, Frostbite, and many other next-gen engines.

So that's why I say that I'm not toooo impressed...I'll wait and see all the other features it has because as it is right now it seems like a one over on UE3.

You do realize that a lot of those features are automatically generated by the engine, right? Most engines require things like reflections and lighting effects to be done by the graphics artists, but this engine calculates it on its own. The main features of this engine is to provide a platform that will give great graphical effects while simultaneously reducing production time on the game.

Very similar to idTech5 as in presentation and ability to essentially play in a sandbox to create worlds. It's really neat stuff.

The way this handles lighting is sick. They also got the compiling time down from 10-15 minutes to about 30 seconds so on the fly changes can happen much quicker.

The secondary lighting is really a huge step up...the fact that you can shine a light on a red surface, and suddenly have the room become more red makes everything so much more realistic!

The way this handles lighting is sick. They also got the compiling time down from 10-15 minutes to about 30 seconds so on the fly changes can happen much quicker.

Lighting is indeed the best thing in this demonstration. Great job there. I am pretty sure the compiling was so quick because it didn't really recompile everything, just the changes. Can't think of any other reason.

The fog that was coming out of this well was terrible, though. He was talking how much volumetric it is while the thing looked almost like a sprite.

Maybe the next next AMD and nvidia cards will be able to run UE4 games with such quality at 60 fps, who knows.

What would be kick ass is if Epic put this demo out there for users to play with, I'd love to fiddle around in there for an hour or two.

As someone who has made a ton of game maps and mods for UT2k4 and UT3 all I can say is WANT!

You know who else can't wait for that? Kids that can't build a monster PC that want to enjoy new games. The superiority complex around here is insane.

Anyways, that walkthrough is far more fascinating to me than the Elemental Knight demo itself. Seeing those things being manipulated in real time, in the editor, is pretty amazing. It reminds me of the days when Build and UnrealEd came out after the wonkiness of DoomEd.

I wouldn't call it a superiority complex, a lot of us just don't like the idea that gaming progress (this covers all aspects, not just graphics) is held back by kiddie consoles and their ancient underpowered bullshit, AND we don't like paying the same "full" price for a half ass bug infested beta console port of a title. If you build smart you can build a decent PC for not too much more then what a "next gen" console costs when it first comes out.

I wish consoles would die already, seriously.

I wouldn't call it a superiority complex, a lot of us just don't like the idea that gaming progress (this covers all aspects, not just graphics) is held back by kiddie consoles and their ancient underpowered bullshit, AND we don't like paying the same "full" price for a half ass bug infested beta console port of a title. If you build smart you can build a decent PC for not too much more then what a "next gen" console costs when it first comes out.

I wish consoles would die already, seriously.

Every time you use the term "kiddie console" you undermine the validity of your argument. Nobody wan't to hear what you have to say if you debate like a 15 year old.

They showed the whole source code at the end!!! I"M TOTALLY GONNA HAX WITH THIS!!!111!

Lighting is indeed the best thing in this demonstration. Great job there. I am pretty sure the compiling was so quick because it didn't really recompile everything, just the changes. Can't think of any other reason.

The fog that was coming out of this well was terrible, though. He was talking how much volumetric it is while the thing looked almost like a sprite.

Maybe the next next AMD and nvidia cards will be able to run UE4 games with such quality at 60 fps, who knows.

It isn't recompiling anything, it's real time. They wanted to completely get rid of all the compilation times which is why it's a deferred renderer now, no prebaked lighting.

They showed the whole source code at the end!!! I"M TOTALLY GONNA HAX WITH THIS!!!111!

Yeah, the game source, not the engine... aka what's been available from day 1 to modders in every Unreal. Unrealscript is gone and now it's C++.

anyone noticed the memory indicator when he was in the editor on some scenes it hit 2GB and he was not looking at that big of an environment damn.

I just watched this and the other demo movie again. I'm so nerded out right now. :] can't wait to get another 7850 2gb to run the first game that comes out on this thing.

Every time you use the term "kiddie console" you undermine the validity of your argument. Nobody wan't to hear what you have to say if you debate like a 15 year old.

Oh now, don't get all butthurt n' shit.

Also, in the future I would choose my words more carefully. The word "nobody" is incorrect there are in fact many people who feel the very same way I do about kiddie consoles and their detrimental effect on the quality of games that have come out over the past 5-7 years.

Oh now, don't get all butthurt n' shit.

Also, in the future I would choose my words more carefully. The word "nobody" is incorrect there are in fact many people who feel the very same way I do about kiddie consoles and their detrimental effect on the quality of games that have come out over the past 5-7 years.

I'm entirely one of the people who believe that the limitations of console focused development have seriously hampered the growth and evolution of games over the years.

I simply wish to point out that without civilized discourse on the issue, no one who matter's (i.e. people who make the games) is going to pay any serious attention to what you're saying.

It looks like Epic is itching for new consoles to finally come out as well. These current consoles have been out far too long now and are really holding back progress. As great as our PCs are, unfortunately, they are not mainstream and these devs sadly won't deliver more graphically intensive games until the consoles can catch up as well with all their mainstream-ness. :(

Does EPIC lease this out for say professional graphics and or engineering work? Like that physics system must be reasonably realistic to say the least not to mention their rendering system beats anything I've ever seen on Pro-engineer, Keyshot or maya (or at least something that I can do easily). I mean they are probably using 3xGTX 680s but even with 3x GTX680s on a render program I can no way get that sort of rendering real time, I gotta wait at least a minute

OH and I was at e3 this is a single Geforce 680GTX 2gb.

The Hell demon looking tech demo also runs off 1 geforce 680 GTX.

the direct x 11 unreal engine 3.5 tech demo was run off 3 geforce 580 gtx. It has been improved to work better with less.

THe 680 Kepler GPU is the GPU they picked to run the engine first and has been optimized for it, they love it they opened the case and showed it to anybody who asked it was behind closed doors you had to be a DEV and or artist that is going to use the engine to get in or have an appointment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsI7_6PH6bs

Oh and the engine is still not good enough for real Rendering it does not support raytracing or anything cool like that sorry Most engineers and animators will not use it since they would get better results with renderman Vray or mental ray.

unless it has to be realtime.

This room is fake nothing in it is real rendered with v-ray and takes hours the unreal engine 4 has no chance of matching it.

vray01.jpg

Bingo. People forget that current consoles came out in 2004-2005, of course you can't expect them to compete with current PC hardware.

I worked on 2 total conversion on 2 old version of uengine and one thing i like with epic is that their tools are really easy to use.

I look foward to this.

Ahhh, I remember the days of making levels for frag nights on Quake2. This makes that look like kids play. QED was great then but this looks amazing.

Bingo. People forget that current consoles came out in 2004-2005, of course you can't expect them to compete with current PC hardware.

And they still did a pretty good job. I mean, look at the difference in BF3 on console.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAVy6A3cbX8

Also, how much would an xbox or PS4 cost with a gtx670 in it?

Console makers make badass console: people cry because they can't afford it.
Console makers make a descent console: PC gamers are furious after 5 years too see technology is behind.

And they still did a pretty good job. I mean, look at the difference in BF3 on console.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAVy6A3cbX8

Also, how much would an xbox or PS4 cost with a gtx670 in it?

Console makers make badass console: people cry because they can't afford it.
Console makers make a descent console: PC gamers are furious after 5 years too see technology is behind.

I dropped $430 on a 360 when launched, and that didn't include the games I bought. Next gen consoles are easily going to launch at $500 (PS3 comes to mind). Tons of people can and will buy consoles on launch day. Prices drop because manufacturing processes improve. Like I said originally, people forget that our current consoles came out 7-8 years ago.

Back