Unreal Engine 4.20 Released With Magic Leap Support

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Epic Games has announced the release of Unreal Engine 4.20. The release has a plethora new features but one that stood out to me was the new Niagara Visual Effects Editor that is ultimately going to replace Unreal Cascade. Niagara allows for more control by artists unlike the current system of waiting for a programmer to add a feature to Cascade. Niagara is programmable, the entire software stack can be customized, has more debugging and performance metrics, and lastly allows for data to be imported from other parts of Unreal or external sources. Magic Leap support has officially been added in this release and the Amazon AWS partnership with Epic Games to serve all those assets to content creators has been strengthened.

New: Mixed Reality Capture (Early Access)
Create compelling spectating experiences for mixed reality applications using the new Mixed Reality Capture functionality, which makes it easy to composite real players into a virtual play space! The early access Mixed Reality Capture support has three components: video input, calibration, and in-game compositing. We have a list of supported webcams and HDMI capture devices that enable you to pull real world green screened video into the Unreal Engine from a variety of sources. If you have a Vive Tracker or similar tracking device, Mixed Reality Capture can match your camera location to the in-game camera to make shots more dynamic and interesting.

Still not sold on mixed reality for gaming.
It'll be the greatest thing I can see coming down the pipe. Better than full VR IMO.
Imagine BF1942 in the middle of a field, in AR.
That's what I'm looking for. Like paintball but better.

It'll be the greatest thing I can see coming down the pipe. Better than full VR IMO.
Imagine BF1942 in the middle of a field, in AR.
That's what I'm looking for. Like paintball but better.

When they show something that actually looks like that, I might be convinced...but I haven't seen anything REMOTELY like that yet. I think AR is better suited for more serious applications...like medical applications or engineering...rather than gaming.

Reminds me of Robo Recall .... probably my favorite game for the Rift.... talk about a sweat fest... great game though.

Back