Unreal Engine 3: Samaritan Demo

I wish epic would make another Unreal sp game (and old fashion deathmatch). This game looks like every other game out right now.

Wasn't there just a thread about this? And I'm sure a cigarette would cause someone's head to bob like that.

Both the UE3 and the CryEngine3 engines look better than what Carmack and Bethesda are putting out. What gives on Carmacks side? Doom3 and Quake 4's player models looked disgusting with what looked like low amounts of triangles and the worlds don't look nearly as good as what I've seen from here.

Lol, 3 580gtx ...

Maybe in 5 years we might actually be able run it on a single gfx card

Iam really doubting its potential to still have good performance with a larger scale of dynamic light, unlike cryengine and frostbite

Game engines will now be used to make video content and not just be limited to games. It's the new media tool.

Possible scalability is nice, but efficiency when doing it comes into play. I mean, its purportedly supporting DX9, 10 and 11 now? And designed to run on consoles? All I am thinking is bloat.

Impressive use of tesselation on the morphing. Reminds me of nVidia's own tesselation demo with the alien.

But considering they ran this with 3 GTX580's, I'm wondering just how efficient this is all being done and if it even scales well. Also, while there was some decent physics effects shown, I didn't see anything even remotely noteworthy enough to warrant that 3rd GTX580. Frostbite 2.0 looks to have far more impressive physics and it's being done on the CPU, so tell me again why I should have a dedicated card for PhysX.

Rain looks nice, smoke looks nice, DoF looks nice...

But, I wish they would sort out the animation...and how unrealistic the faces look (I know thats nothing to do with the engine, just bad modelling). Looks so stiff it's painful.

Definitely a leap forward for UE3. I was more impressed with how CryEngine 3 handles lighting however in their cinema demo or whatnot. The bottom line is that no matter which platform it is I can't wait until we have games on shelves that actually look like this.

Its running on 3 GTX 580's because they have 32x AA going on for the whole demo

Know what pisses me off the most about the whole demo? Its -STILL- using PhysX!

That's right people, the next advancement of the unreal 3 engine with DX11 support is brought to you by Nvidia, who gave EPIC unreal (Note the pun) amounts of money to develop the new version with PhysX physics

I wonder with all these engines that Nvidia is paying engine developers to cram in PhysX if they are making any money

I can only hope this means a new Unreal Tournament around the corner. I have been a huge Unreal fan since 1998.

Both the UE3 and the CryEngine3 engines look better than what Carmack and Bethesda are putting out. What gives on Carmacks side? Doom3 and Quake 4's player models looked disgusting with what looked like low amounts of triangles and the worlds don't look nearly as good as what I've seen from here.

Why would you expect a game that came out in 2004 to look comparable to games from 2009 onward?

Looks impressive, however I would like to know what resolution this is running at. Also I'm not going to get excited until i see a game using this engine that is actually designed for a pc, not a dumbed down console port.

The pc games coming out now feel very stagnant as far as engine growth and developement. I don't do multi-display gaming, whats my motivation to buy a new graphics card besides DX11?

His "stone" skin look reminds me of Turians from Mass Effect.

Looks like an interesting concept...looking forward to seeing a good game come out of it.

I think I need a tissue. The speculated power needed to run it scares me but it does look awesome, I 'd like to hear from Unreal's Carmack or the equivalent team.

If I can for a second say this: I think Unreal has been doing a better job at the back end on their technology, I wouldn't discredit Carmack at all but it seems people are better able to take quicker and more complete command of the Uengine, either that or that just end up using gears assets I'm never sure. In the end it has to be powerful yet approachable.

I think I need a tissue. The speculated power needed to run it scares me but it does look awesome, I 'd like to hear from Unreal's Carmack or the equivalent team.

If I can for a second say this: I think Unreal has been doing a better job at the back end on their technology, I wouldn't discredit Carmack at all but it seems people are better able to take quicker and more complete command of the Uengine, either that or that just end up using gears assets I'm never sure. In the end it has to be powerful yet approachable.

Carmack and co work under Bethesda now, they no longer license out the engine. We will probably see DX11 tech used in Doom 4, whenever that comes out.

Back