Unreal Engine 3 for Windows 8 and Windows RT

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A joint announcement today at IFA today by Epic and NVIDIA outlined the upcoming Unreal Engine 3 for Windows 8 and Windows RT. Now the ball is in the court of the Unreal developers to create games on the Windows RT platform.

I have to admit , pretty impressive. I wonder what kind of screen that tablet was using.

BTW not saying that to crap on the Windows 8 RT platform, I'm glad they took the direct PC engine port to make it easier to develop for... I'm all for more options out there!

Then make a handheld gaming device then damit, this isnt ment for gaming, its a tablet. I think i can be at home and content enough to use a real gaming device.....talk about a strain in productivity.

Then make a handheld gaming device then damit, this isnt ment for gaming, its a tablet. I think i can be at home and content enough to use a real gaming device.....talk about a strain in productivity.

For people who only use one device for all their computing needs and opt for a tablet, gaming is something they might desire. You could argue against games on phones because they're for making calls or games on desktops, because they're general purpose computing devices which are, unlike consoles, not dedicated to entertainment. Regardless of how you shake it, businesses are seeing a the potential of marketing games on upcoming RT tablets and they'll either turn a profit or not. Those that don't will exit the market and move on. Those that do will milk it with DLC and lame sequels for years to come. :)

lol, because the fps controller vs. mouse/kb argument is beating a dead horse... Let the touch screen vs. kb/mouse argument begin! lol

The other thing we have to keep in mind is that porting a game between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 should be relatively easy, one just needs to adjust the input method. Can you imagine being able to connect a controller to your WP8 phone that's hooked up to your TV? It's the portable Xbox!

It's all about how easy it is to port a game from one platform to the next.

For people who only use one device for all their computing needs and opt for a tablet, gaming is something they might desire. You could argue against games on phones because they're for making calls or games on desktops, because they're general purpose computing devices which are, unlike consoles, not dedicated to entertainment. Regardless of how you shake it, businesses are seeing a the potential of marketing games on upcoming RT tablets and they'll either turn a profit or not. Those that don't will exit the market and move on. Those that do will milk it with DLC and lame sequels for years to come. :)[/QUOT

Why on earth would i want to game on a tablet with a 8 inch screen held in my hand...i hate portable gaming. There isnt enough power there for newer games and never will be. Ill stick to desktops as the tech advances in the there is no replacement for displacement arena....

lol, because the fps controller vs. mouse/kb argument is beating a dead horse... Let the touch screen vs. kb/mouse argument begin! lol

Right......lame, Mouse and keyboard with FPS is king. Everything else is a newb game. Controller is best suited for, sports, racing sims, fighting games, "were the hell are these at" and a few others. But for FPS, I dare anyone in the planet to go agianst me with Keyboard and mouse...you will get owned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DErQKhspXA&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_k1pZCwebo&feature=relmfu

put this on the tablets as well......unreal 3 engine, bitch please......by the time this comes to a console like this, desktop gaming will be light years ahead....Cell phone syndrome comes to mind. waste of money Tablets and expensive Cells...Desktop investment is power, more future proof, and a billion other reasons that i am not going to list out of pure annoyance.

Why on earth would i want to game on a tablet with a 8 inch screen held in my hand...i hate portable gaming. There isnt enough power there for newer games and never will be. Ill stick to desktops as the tech advances in the there is no replacement for displacement arena....

Angry Birds is a newer game than Battlefield 2142 and Angry Birds is far more popular as well. When a game was released hasn't got much to do with system requirements. In addition to that, your personal preference in where you play a game has very little to do with the preferences of others.

I'm sure you and your parents know what is necessary to fill your wants, but there are different tastes and different purchasing habits out there as well.

Angry Birds is a newer game than Battlefield 2142 and Angry Birds is far more popular as well. When a game was released hasn't got much to do with system requirements. In addition to that, your personal preference in where you play a game has very little to do with the preferences of others.

I'm sure you and your parents know what is necessary to fill your wants, but there are different tastes and different purchasing habits out there as well.

meh true.....anyway to get ur money with less of a product and filled in with other alternatives....alright i can game on a cell phone, psp, tablet, desktop, and my laptop! but wait i still want the best in gaming! ohh real video cards cost 500 bucks and are the size of that tablet....well guess that rules everything else out.

"I'm sure you and your parents know what is necessary to fill your wants, but there are different tastes and different purchasing habits out there as well."

I am 29 years of age.....and run a company as well, i am sure my parents would be proud of that forfillment as well

"I'm sure you and your parents know what is necessary to fill your wants, but there are different tastes and different purchasing habits out there as well."

I am 29 years of age.....and run a company as well, i am sure my parents would be proud of that forfillment as well

I'm just teasing you a little. Some people hang onto their youth a lot longer than others and there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a bit young for your age.

One thing I like about Windows 8 r.e. Tablet/Phone/PC, a common engine for gaming, DirectX.

This means it should be easier for PC games to be ported down to Tablet and then to Phone, and also up the scale from Phone, to Tablet to PC. It means there is potential for more PC games coming to Windows 8 tablets and phones. I like this idea, I like the idea that I could play my favorite game on all 3 devices, PC/Tablet/Phone on the Win8 platform. Because of this, I'm getting more and more interested in looking into this platform for Phone/Tablet/PC (obviously my PC will already be Win7 or Win8), but for Tablet and Phone I'm looking closely at Win8 for the platform, and Microsoft's new tablet or the Sony VAIO Duo 11 also on the news page, based on Win8. I really like that all 3 are based on DirectX and the same games should run on them.

I think what Scribble is saying is that your parents want you to play Angry Birds...or get them Angry Birds for the holidays

I think what Scribble is saying is that your parents want you to play Angry Birds...or get them Angry Birds for the holidays

Skribbel!!

Maybe that's what I was saying though. Angry Birds is a great game to play while you're driving because it's not as distracting as sending text messages.

Oops my mistake Skribbel! Don't shoot that bird at me that poops when you tap it! :(

Color me NOT impressed.

Good just Epic! Show off that two year old tech demo! How amazing...:rolleyes:

+1 to Epic's epic awesomeness.

I kind of totally lost interest in Windows 8 RT now that Atom is finally being updated: it's finally getting OOo execution cores, up to 4 of those, and much upgraded GPU all on 22nm LP process goodness. When I get a ARM-line tablet that runs Windows, it will Atom based. And then I'll just run Win 7 & Linux on it, both full versions, and not Win h8 (as in hates users). :D

Why is everyone excited at seeing a video of a tablet playing a video of a game flyby?

Why is everyone excited at seeing a video of a tablet playing a video of a game flyby?

I was just thinking the same thing. The tablet played an .AVI and people are going batshit. Load up a youtube video and it's the same thing :p

Back