unreal 3 too expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andré2005

Limp Gawd
i have saved $700...
what card specs probably will unreal 3 require, and will this card be what will come after the 6800 ultra, can a 850 xt pe handle it?

and, what about 64bit, will u3 require it?

Keep saving. If what has been rumored is true, we won't see this game until 2007.

2007! thats good. people say so much about this game, i thought it was coming tomorrow...

So i understand that the demos that were done for e3 were hevily optimized, and not real time. Last rumor I heard is that todays vid cards can run UE3 at about 20-25 fps. I only hope that epic gets wize and optimizes the engine for multicores. this would be best done by separating the physics sound and ai into separate processes. Anyway...I have ranted on this a ton on these forums, but the space reqs will be sick. Not only will you have high poly count (take note carmack) meshes, but also ultra high res texs and normal maps. I would not at all be surprised if this is 3 DVDS or more.

M

Mmmmmmmmmm, a return to the originals playing style! A new fancy engine (U3 engine) and some pretty textures and new game modes.

Yeah it'll be released along with Duke Nukem Forever. Duke Nukem Forever is going to have some sick graphics, I've upgraded my machine four times just to handel it's ever increasing requirements.

andré2005 said:
i have saved $700...
what card specs probably will unreal 3 require, and will this card be what will come after the 6800 ultra, can a 850 xt pe handle it?

850xt can handle it but probably not 1600*1200.
Unreal 3 ........I like tournament better.........u can drive battle cars :)

holycpu said:
850xt can handle it but probably not 1600*1200.
You know this for a fact?

Plus, doesn't UE3 use PS3.0 very heavily? Kind of pointless to buy a card that probably isn't fast enough to run it at 800x600 and also can't render all of the visual effects.

Wait til the game comes out and buy what ever is best at the time.

By the time Unreal 3 is released, every hardcore gamer will probably have a Physics processor in their system. Maximum PC recently did an article on this technology and the company that developed the first PPU - Ageia

Ageia is, in fact, partnered with Epic. So you can bet money on Unreal utilizing this new PPU when it does come out.

Ripped from the Ageia website:

AGEIA Physics Technologies

Gaming will never be the same with AGEIA's hardware-accelerated physics technologies. Bridging the gap between beautiful static worlds and responsive physical reality, AGEIA physics technologies enable unlimited creative possibilities for game developers. The result will re-ignite the enthusiasm of gamer and game creators alike, and propel the game industry into unexplored new markets. Experience the world of pervasive interactive reality with AGEIA technologies.

AGEIA PhysX chip

PhysX is the world's first Physics Processing Unit (PPU), an entirely new category of processor that promises to revolutionize gaming in the same way that the graphics processing unit (GPU) did in the 1990s. By offloading software physics processing from the CPU and GPU, the PPU completes the triangle of gameplay, graphics and physics, balancing the load of these processing tasks and enabling pervasive interactive reality in tomorrow's games.

PhysX Processor Architecture has been designed to enable radical acceleration of:
  • Rigid body dynamics
  • Universal collision detection
  • Finite element analysis
  • Soft body dynamics
  • Fluid dynamics
  • Hair simulation
  • Clothing simulation
NovodeX Physics SDK

The NovodeX Physics SDK is a stable, high-performance solution for game developers to enable physics-based gameplay and effects in PC and console titles. A powerful API for the PhysX PPU, NovodeX enables game developers to inject both software-only and hardware-accelerated features into their games. The NovodeX Physics SDK is also the first and only asynchronous (multithreaded) physics API capable of unleashing the power of multiprocessor gaming systems.

Key features:
  • Stable, high-performance solver
  • First and only multiprocessing physics API
  • PC and console support
  • Works alongside other game engines
  • Supports vehicles, rag dolls, and character controllers
  • Integrates with any renderer
  • Full complement of code samples and tutorials
  • World-class developer support and custom solutions

Interesting info on the PPU... It remind me of when the GPU started to use triangle and lighting processor to offload the CPU so it will be a great idea.

However, i'm curious how the PPU will be implemented ? In the GPU card itself or in a dedicated card ?

Wiat till the fall and pick up the ATI R520 card, Its to late in the current card lifecycles to blow a huge chunk of change on them.

Xilikon said:
Interesting info on the PPU... It remind me of when the GPU started to use triangle and lighting processor to offload the CPU so it will be a great idea.

However, i'm curious how the PPU will be implemented ? In the GPU card itself or in a dedicated card ?
According to the Maximum PC article, it will be a dedicated card that will come with 128 MB of GDDR3 memory and come in both PCI-Express and PCI versions. The cards are supposed to be available towards the end of 2005.

As far as I've read U3 will be optimized with dual cores, 64-bit CPU, 512mb GPU's, SM 3.0 and above, and PPU's.

Basically, this game is being designed for hardware that will be available at it's release, 2007.

ScHpAnKy said:
Yep. Same shit, different title.

Thank you. I thought the first Unreal was great for its time. UT was cool, tho how it got higher ratings than Q3A I'll never understand- I'm still playing Q3a :) I thought Unreal2 sucked.

MAngelo said:
Thank you. I thought the first Unreal was great for its time. UT was cool, tho how it got higher ratings than Q3A I'll never understand- I'm still playing Q3a :) I thought Unreal2 sucked.

I'd take you never played Quake 2 then. Sad when the next title in a game is a downgrade except for the graphics. LMCTF, that was a mod that will never be matched again.

UT2K4 is a great game btw. I dont see how you can say otherwise. It takes tons of skill to be able to pull off the trick skill jumps. Then it has tons of gametypes that are all very different. It has tons of great maps and a extremely strong community behind it. If 2K7 matches it with knew graphics then I'll be happy to buy it.

"Lets design and market a game that only runs on $500+ Graphics cards...."

"That sounds like a great idea!"

This is what we heard about DOOM3 and HL2 folks....... and ya know what.... Lots of people are playing these games on 9600's, 5700's, and other Sub$200 Video cards.......

Worry about the Unreal engine when it becomes a reality.......

I wish any of these UTs made my heart beat as fast as the original did/does. Double jump is for side scrollers!! lol.

Impaqt said:
"Lets design and market a game that only runs on $500+ Graphics cards...."

"That sounds like a great idea!"

This is what we heard about DOOM3 and HL2 folks....... and ya know what.... Lots of people are playing these games on 9600's, 5700's, and other Sub$200 Video cards.......

Worry about the Unreal engine when it becomes a reality.......

I dont remember hearing that. I remember hearing that you'll need $500 high end cards to get the max visual experience, which is the case. But both engines are designed to be extremely scaleable and they both are. The Doom 3, Source, and Crytek engines are great examples of what an engine should be. They're scaleable, extremely pretty, and from what I've seen and read the Crytek engine is extremely extremely futureproof since it supports an almost plug in like system of upgrading the engine.

gn0me said:
According to the Maximum PC article, it will be a dedicated card that will come with 128 MB of GDDR3 memory and come in both PCI-Express and PCI versions. The cards are supposed to be available towards the end of 2005.

You sure they said a PCI Express slot? All i have seen in PCI slot, and since the advent of the PCIE 1X, i'll assume that as well. But i doubt they'll take up a PCI Express 16X graphics slot. If you have a link i'd like to read though. Not questioning, just curious.

FanATIc said:
You sure they said a PCI Express slot? All i have seen in PCI slot, and since the advent of the PCIE 1X, i'll assume that as well. But i doubt they'll take up a PCI Express 16X graphics slot. If you have a link i'd like to read though. Not questioning, just curious.

http://www.gdhardware.com/interviews/agiea/001.htm

Here's an early look at a sample board based on PCI-Express 1x/4x architecture. We know that Ageia plans on implementing several different interfaces, including - but not limited to - PCI-E, PCI and on-board motherboard integrated solutions. Ageia tells us that we should see boards out by the end of this year. If you look closely you'll notice some RAM chips around the PPU - we're told it's 128MB of GDDR3. On-board memory is not something they anticipate will grow in demand as it does on graphic cards.

I'm sure this engine will be just as scaleable, they'd be foolish not to make it so. When you put it into perspective we are looking at 18 months at the earliest? That's a long time in hardware, what were most of you guys running 18months ago? I'm sure a SLi/AMR G70/R520 would handle it pretty well, but we will probably be discussing the follow up GPU's by then......

By next summer I'd bet on 1Gb cards coming out under the next gen gpu's anyway.

And on the issue of cost....haven't all top end card's had a similar price point when release :confused: what's the difference this time round?

The top cards in November of 2003, 18 months ago were the Radeon 9800 XT and GeForceFX 5950 Ultra.

Brent_Justice said:
The top cards in November of 2003, 18 months ago were the Radeon 9800 XT and GeForceFX 5950 Ultra.

So we are looking at *roughly* a jump of 2x performance from then and now? So, if the rumours are true, we are looking at a double jump again. Put 2 cards together and I'm sure they will handle an optimised version of the game pretty sweetly if an Ultra can run an un-optimised version at 20fps.....

But the 9800XT and 5950 Ultra were similarly priced to the x850xt pe and 6800ultra now, so why is there any cause for concern for the next round?

Skrying said:
I'd take you never played Quake 2 then. Sad when the next title in a game is a downgrade except for the graphics. LMCTF, that was a mod that will never be matched again.

UT2K4 is a great game btw. I dont see how you can say otherwise. It takes tons of skill to be able to pull off the trick skill jumps. Then it has tons of gametypes that are all very different. It has tons of great maps and a extremely strong community behind it. If 2K7 matches it with knew graphics then I'll be happy to buy it.

OK Skyring, I played Quake 1 and Quake 2. I didn't think Q3A was a downgrade. I thought, and still do think, it is the FPS of FPS's. I never said UT2K4 sucked- just Unreal 2. UT2K3 was okay, but like most Unreal-based shooters, it has this 'floaty' feel that Quake doesn't. The floaty feel persisted to UT2K4- I played the demo - and passed on the game becasue of the floaty physics.

Luckily, there's room for both your and my opinion here, and games that appeal to both of us. :)

kind of off-topic but there's been a lot of talk about PPU's lately.

I'm just wondering if there's a chance that they are going to develop a "enthusiast" following like video cards do.

MAngelo said:

Same here! Loved Unreal (I remember the store guy asking to make sure I had a 'powerful' enough PC to run it) it was a real treat compared to the dull green/brown of Q2 and it had some really nice twists and shocks along the way. The versions that followed just didnt compare playability wise. In fact I returned my copy of Unreal2 as it was so buggy.

Oh and my PC at the time was a lovely 200MMX/64Mb with a 4Mb Matrox Mystique partnerd with a Matrox M3D card. Looked great!

Buying a 550$ dollar card to run a game that will be out in over a year is a really bad idea. The cards available then will smoke the X850XT PE blah blah for 200$ less, and will support more features.

Anything you can buy today will not be top of the line by the time the next game in the unreal series is out...

the days of Unreal Tournament. i loved that game! UT2k4 and all that was just crap :/

I wouldnt hedge my bets on one game. The original Unreal was widely acclaimed to be a great game, and I think it was. Unreal 2 was just the opposite... it sucked. Unreal 3 looks to be very good (from a graphical standpoint) but who knows about gameplay. Buying a video card for a game thats close to 2 years away, isnt a good idea.

That being said, the better dynamic branching performance of the X1800's, would appear to give them better performance over the 7800 series. But again.. its years off, anything can happen.

Dra said:
kind of off-topic but there's been a lot of talk about PPU's lately.

I'm just wondering if there's a chance that they are going to develop a "enthusiast" following like video cards do.

I was wondering about that too, watch another company come out and compete with Aegia forcing both of them to make huge jumps technology in small amounts of time :)

Hvatum said:
Yeah it'll be released along with Duke Nukem Forever. Duke Nukem Forever is going to have some sick graphics, I've upgraded my machine four times just to handel it's ever increasing requirements.

Psssshhht. That game is never comming out. :rolleyes:

Let's try to stay on topic folks. Thanks. - DL

Ohh! I have an idea! Instead of buying a card now to play a game that won't be released for 2 years, why not wait until the game is released!

What you're doing is like buying a Ti4800 in 2002 to play HL2.

EDIT: Whoa, this an old thread. I responded five months ago.

Will the game require a 64bit processor?

No. It would be a very bad decision to leave 32bit computers in the dust. Nobody will buy, nobody will play.

Most likely they will give an option to install a 64bit version much like the FarCry 1.3 patch. How useful it will be, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back