Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

Ordered the 2405 last Wednesday. Got the shipping notice Thursday, despite being quoted at least a two-week shipping delay. Received it today, Tuesday (probably would have gotten it earlier if not for the Memorial Day weekend).

I was using a 2001. I expected it to look pretty much like the 2001 only wider. When I opened the box, it looked like what I expected. I plugged it in and turned it on and that's when the casual attitude dropped--as did the jaw. It's simply a gorgeous monitor, no two ways about it. Haven't given it a good gaming workout yet but will do so this weekend. No dead pixels, no problems at all so far.

Well, Dell Canada's "10 Days of Deals" is back on! Last time they had this promotion, they were selling the 2005FPW for about HALF price, so I'm going to be keeping my eye out for deals on the 2405FPW. I'll take even a 25% discount!

So, any Canadians out there that are still looking for a good price on the 2405FPW--stay tuned!

How do I get this monitor to display at 1920 x 1200?

If I set it to 1:1 then I get wide bands at each side of the screen, full screen setting stretches the desktop.

When I set my card to 1920 x 1200, it does not go to full screen but scrolls the desktop

My graphics card is a Nvidia FX5200 connected via digital lead

Am I missing something?

Cheers

_dg said:

If I set it to 1:1 then I get wide bands at each side of the screen, full screen setting stretches the desktop.

When I set my card to 1920 x 1200, it does not go to full screen but scrolls the desktop

Am I missing something?

Cheers
Did you install the drivers for the 2405FPW?

andrewhaji said:
Well, Dell Canada's "10 Days of Deals" is back on! Last time they had this promotion, they were selling the 2005FPW for about HALF price, so I'm going to be keeping my eye out for deals on the 2405FPW. I'll take even a 25% discount!

So, any Canadians out there that are still looking for a good price on the 2405FPW--stay tuned!

50%.... omg does Dell Canada ship to the US lol

qdemn7 said:
Did you install the drivers for the 2405FPW?

i had exactly the same problem and i think i posted about it a couple times. Anyways the 5200 doesnt seem to be able to drive it correctly at all and my solution in the end was to just get a new card (6600gt)

subrandom said:
i had exactly the same problem and i think i posted about it a couple times. Anyways the 5200 doesnt seem to be able to drive it correctly at all and my solution in the end was to just get a new card (6600gt)
That's right, I remember you now.

Must be something peculiar to the 5200 series. I bought a Radeon 9000PRO for my Power Mac G4 and it drives it fine. That is, at least through the VGA input, haven't tried the DVI input.

Yeah, the whole FX series of GPU's was pretty craptacular. The 6 series on the other hand though... is simply EGGcellent. ;)

Do you think that a GeForce 4 Ti4600 will be able to handle it (till I get my new GPU(s)...)

Incase it matters at all, other system specs are: 3.06Ghz, 1Gb DDR 3200

Oh and what the hell is going on with the UK price jumping around (it's now £1,177.35 and has a 45 day lead time!!!)

yeah dell uk has upped the p[rice, was gonna order another one but not now:/

and yes that card will run it fine, my friend has that card and it works no probs

qdemn7 said:
That's right, I remember you now.

Must be something peculiar to the 5200 series. I bought a Radeon 9000PRO for my Power Mac G4 and it drives it fine. That is, at least through the VGA input, haven't tried the DVI input.

yeah im glad i purchased the 6600gt cause now i can not only display at native res but play all my games at native res with everything turned up pretty damn high... which is way better than playing at 800x600 with everything all the way off with the 5200.... what a sack of crap.

Same here. I didn't think at first the 6600GT would be able to handle games at the native resolution (especially with my rig), but it does, and suprisingly well, I might add. Of course only with AF @ 16x and no AA. But since the resolution is so extreme anyway, you don't really notice any difference unless of course you really go looking for the jaggies. :)

Is there any indication that this new upped price in the UK is permanent or whether it's just as likely to drop back down and when it shot up?

If it came anywhere near the US price I'd snap one up right now!

I had mine running on a PCI TNT2 card at one point, the native resolution worked although scrolling caused alot of tearing.

It's now running on an X850XT, however for anyone out there worrying about playing games in 1900x1200, the monitor/games scale down very well to 1600x1200 and still look crystal clear.

The Donut said:
I had mine running on a PCI TNT2 card at one point, the native resolution worked although scrolling caused alot of tearing.

It's now running on an X850XT, however for anyone out there worrying about playing games in 1900x1200, the monitor/games scale down very well to 1600x1200 and still look crystal clear.

That's good to know...

When you say scaled down to 1600 x 1200 do you mean streched horizontally or with vertical black bars?

GamezUK said:
Is there any indication that this new upped price in the UK is permanent or whether it's just as likely to drop back down and when it shot up?

If it came anywhere near the US price I'd snap one up right now!

they budge on the phone rite now, im gonna wwait a little while before i get another one now

Icheb said:
Just call them and try to get a deal.

Yaka said:
they budge on the phone rite now, im gonna wwait a little while before i get another one now

What do you say when you phone? Uh, can you make it a little cheaper for me?

GamezUK said:
What do you say when you phone? Uh, can you make it a little cheaper for me?

blimey, you never ever made up a fairy tale in your life? just bitch about why its cheaper else where and your thinking of complaining to the office of fair trading. and stuff you dont need to be einstien ;)

GamezUK said:
Do you think that a GeForce 4 Ti4600 will be able to handle it (till I get my new GPU(s)...)

Incase it matters at all, other system specs are: 3.06Ghz, 1Gb DDR 3200

Oh and what the hell is going on with the UK price jumping around (it's now £1,177.35 and has a 45 day lead time!!!)

I'm using a Ti4600 with my 2405FPW and it works great.

Well, I just took the plunge and picked up one of these babies from someone who bought one too many from Dell. I'm very excited about getting this in the mail, and I'll be counting the days to when it arrives! I only hope it's as good as what everybody is saying.

If anyone's interested, I can post pictures when it comes in.

You've made a good decision. Most people are extremely satisfied with their 2405FPW purchase, only a few have had issues and even fewer had to return it.

Welcome to the Widescreen Club. :)

I ordered one too, thanks to this thread..
Ship date: 6/20 :(

I can't wait that long.

_dg said:

Am I missing something?

Cheers

Sorted.

I have swapped the connection from DVi to analogue and now it is at maximum res.

I thought I may have had to shell out on a new graphics card. phew

can someone tell me how i can adjust my setting like in my image settings i cant adjust nothing in there is there a reason why?

hoop32 said:
can someone tell me how i can adjust my setting like in my image settings i cant adjust nothing in there is there a reason why?
There could be two reasons for this. Firstly, a lot of the image adjustment settings are unavailable while in DVI mode, simply because it's digital, and controlled by the computer. Secondly, when you're in 1920x1200 mode, you can't adjust the aspect ratio settings because the only possible ratio is 1:1.

_dg said:
Sorted.

I have swapped the connection from DVi to analogue and now it is at maximum res.

I thought I may have had to shell out on a new graphics card. phew

I don't understand. You mean you went back to a analogue connection? DVI is much better.

illgiveumorality said:
His DVI connection probably doesn't support the bandwidth for 1920x1200
That's weird...I know you need a dual-link video card in order to display the full resolution of a 30" LCD, but I've never heard of people having problems displaying 1920x1200 using a single-link video card. But, you never know...

andrewhaji said:
That's weird...I know you need a dual-link video card in order to display the full resolution of a 30" LCD, but I've never heard of people having problems displaying 1920x1200 using a single-link video card. But, you never know...
It maybe a limitation on the video card. Yeah if you try to use a Geforce 2 MX with this thing, you need to be shot LOL

Back