Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

Tried those settings but they look pretty awful on mine, Riptide. The end result is a very red display :p

How does your default sRGB look? I get a greeny/bluey result, and the sRGB values are set to 36, 44, 40 as default. Btw, you're definitely right about the taskbar being washed out. It's v hard to get the colours to be the same as the 2005FPW. I guess that's down to the difference between S-IPS and MVA.

CalKenneth said:
No buzzing or whining for ya, huh? You got a good one! :) Hope you had no bad pixels or backlight bleeding either.

Heh, I think you've got to be really pinickity to be put off by the slight power hum/buzz tbh mate! Plus if you're sitting close enough to hear it then I feel sorry for your eyes ;)

ctishue said:
Okay I need some help here. I want to know if everyone else is experiencing this because so many people seem to be reporting their display has no ghosting. Use this web page you are looking at right now, my Hardforum thread. Drag the window left and right across the screen. What I see is 1/4" blur/ghost being left behind in the light gray area where the username info is on the thread. The darker gray ghosts onto the lighter gray and so does the text/icons in the surrounding area. Does this happen for everyone. It carries over to games like WoW for me also.

I came from a Viewsonic VP912B 19" LCD which exhibited a very tiny blur when doing the above test, but nowhere near as bad. I'm using an EVGA Geforce 6800ultra. I've tried plugging the monitor into both DVI outputs.

Also another weird problem that I mentioned earlier in the thread is when playing old dos games full screen using dosbox. These are games that use a resolution of 320x200. When set to full screen, the image shakes violently and it is unusable. I also tried setting the windows desktop to 320x200 and it does the same thing. Does everyone else experience this same issue?

I'm not seeing any blue as you described it at all. Must be your video card or the way the monitor is set to it.

JonDo[H] said:
Right it's night time and GOD-DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN this screen is bright! :D

Still running at 75% though. Hehe burn those retinas ;)

I now have my brightness down to 10 and its about right for me.

I do see that effect (blur trail). It's only apparent if you drag the window quite quickly from left to right. But it's there.

CalKenneth said:
No buzzing or whining for ya, huh? You got a good one! :) Hope you had no bad pixels or backlight bleeding either.

None, nada, no bad pixels or backlight issues....also no sag and I measured it's witin a 16th of an inch side to side. No blue when going side to side either.

Only 2 issues I do have. Live TV sound through my Wonder Card is more latent then my Sony LCD and I keep setting the bringtness down a little more each time I use it.

Well I changed my 2405 because I got 1 vertical green line across the screen...So I received my brand new...now it's okay but the stand....when I move the screen up-down...some noise looks like 2 pieces bad set up in the up of stand...well I don't know what I should do now.

stevenj said:
Well I changed my 2405 because I got 1 vertical green line across the screen...So I received my brand new...now it's okay but the stand....when I move the screen up-down...some noise looks like 2 pieces bad set up in the up of stand...well I don't know what I should do now.

Easy. Switch stands with the other one. Hey, do YOU have buzzing or whining behind your new replacement monitor? :)

JonDo[H] said:
Heh, I think you've got to be really pinickity to be put off by the slight power hum/buzz tbh mate! Plus if you're sitting close enough to hear it then I feel sorry for your eyes ;)

Well, if it were a "yes this is a normal thing for monitors" situation then I probably wouldn't be as bothered. But I think LCD monitors shouldn't buzz - none of my old ones did, and buzzing is usually indicative of something that might get worse. Given the fact that several people have reported nonbuzzing or nonwhining monitors, it seems like some monitors came with a bad component.

CalKenneth said:
Well, if it were a "yes this is a normal thing for monitors" situation then I probably wouldn't be as bothered. But I think LCD monitors shouldn't buzz - none of my old ones did, and buzzing is usually indicative of something that might get worse. Given the fact that several people have reported nonbuzzing or nonwhining monitors, it seems like some monitors came with a bad component.

But it's the slightest of buzzes. I can't even hear it over the almost silent whir of my pc fan. I bet a lot of users have got this noise and just can't hear it either.TBH the only way for you to find out would be to get every user to turn off their PCs, make sure their rooms were quiet and their screens were on, then lean in as close as possible to the right-hand-side of the screen and have a good listen :p

CalKenneth said:
Easy. Switch stands with the other one. Hey, do YOU have buzzing or whining behind your new replacement monitor? :)
The other one....bad for me...it's already ship. I'm very disappointed!

LxT said:

Buy.com has it for $86 w/ free shipping (the newer model with the removable extension), just ordered one: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10398401&loc=101&hdwt=0&sp=1

They also have the older model, the one above, for $90, go figure: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10369083&loc=101&hdwt=0&sp=1 . Since tech support told the earlier poster that the extension can be removed, I figured I'd go with the new one...

--Adam

utsava said:
Does anyone know if you can use this arm (or ones like it for that matter) with tempered glass desktops?

Hi,

I should imagine you would need some sort of cushioned pad on the clamp to both prevent the glass from scratching, and to spread the load over a wider area.

I suspect only the manufacturer would be able to give you a definitive answer.

Hoe this helps,
Tony.

How are ppl getting on with the colour settings? I've been toying around, and these seem to be the most balanced I can get so far:-

40, 44, 42

JonDo[H] said:
Tried those settings but they look pretty awful on mine, Riptide. The end result is a very red display :p

How does your default sRGB look? I get a greeny/bluey result, and the sRGB values are set to 38, 44, 40 as default. Btw, you're definitely right about the taskbar being washed out. It's v hard to get the colours to be the same as the 2005FPW. I guess that's down to the difference between S-IPS and MVA.
That's odd. If you go to that link at the bottom of the original post I copied from arstechnica there's a way to check the calibration - and those settings were almost dead on for 2.0 gamma. Perhaps there is some variance between the displays. You might try those settings again and then check them against the test patterns. I'd be curious to see if yours is out of whack or whatnot. The reason it seems odd is that the original poster's display worked almost identical to mine - the results between our two were spot on for 2.0.

Off to bed now, but will check it out tomorrow.

I've used no calibrators to check against so far, just my own subjective opinion. The 2005FPW has been sold already so I can't do a direct comparison like yourself. It could be true that these screens differ slightly? Will let you know what i find :)

JonDo[H] said:
Off to bed now, but will check it out tomorrow.

I've used no calibrators to check against so far, just my own subjective opinion. The 2005FPW has been sold already so I can't do a direct comparison like yourself. It could be true that these screens differ slightly? Will let you know what i find :)

Here are my settings:

Brightness 35
R 35
G 33
B 32

I used Adobe Gamma to set the gamma to 2.2. Lower settings looked washed out IMO.

I have the 2005FPW and I actually like the look of the 2405FPW just as much now (maybe even a little more). It did take a while to get used to it. I'm not sure why.

I got the 2405fpw the 14th and I'm really amazed by the picture quality. So far I didn't see any dead pixels but I have a grey artifact stuck inside the glass covering 4pixels in row and the lcd does make noise. I think i'll phone dell tomorrow to replace it .

Riptide_NVN said:
Try the settings I re-posted and then use this page, 2.0 gamma pattern, to check it with.

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

I also encourage everyone to try this website. Mine is dead nuts 1.8 and it makes a BIG difference IMHO

My settings are
Brightness 18
Contrast N/A (not available in DVI)
Color: User Preset
Red 36
Green 33
Blue 32

msny said:
I also encourage everyone to try this website. Mine is dead nuts 1.8 and it makes a BIG difference IMHO

My settings are
Brightness 18
Contrast N/A (not available in DVI)
Color: User Preset
Red 36
Green 33
Blue 32

Why is it that when I use Adobe Gamma and adjust the sliders, it doesn't seem to make a difference on-screen? Am I doing something incorrectly?

Using that page also confuses me because I don't seem to have an easy way to adjust gamma on my laptop, which uses an ATI Mobile Radeon 7500.

CalKenneth said:
Why is it that when I use Adobe Gamma and adjust the sliders, it doesn't seem to make a difference on-screen? Am I doing something incorrectly?

Using that page also confuses me because I don't seem to have an easy way to adjust gamma on my laptop, which uses an ATI Mobile Radeon 7500.

Dunno, I have a gamma slider in my ATI control panel and thats what I used. Using Cat 5.3. Did you load the control panel software ?

PIP/PBP Question

I have one computer going into VGA (input 1) and one going into DVI (input 2)

When I bring up either the PIP or PBP setting screen I am not allowed to select either option, only inputs 3,4 and 5 can be selected.

Any ideas?

Thanks

rinaldo00 said:
PIP/PBP Question

I have one computer going into VGA (input 1) and one going into DVI (input 2)

When I bring up either the PIP or PBP setting screen I am not allowed to select either option, only inputs 3,4 and 5 can be selected.

Any ideas?

Thanks

You can't PiP or PbP with DVI and VGA. Same thing with the 2000FP, 2001FP, 2005FPW. I believe it is because DVI and VGA both use the same processing chip in the monitor.

You can't PiP or PbP with DVI and VGA. Same thing with the 2000FP, 2001FP, 2005FPW. I believe it is because DVI and VGA both use the same processing chip in the monitor.

Ok, I was asfraid of that. It should say so in the docs to avoid confusion

msny said:
Dunno, I have a gamma slider in my ATI control panel and thats what I used. Using Cat 5.3. Did you load the control panel software ?

Good call! I ran the Driver Heaven mod tool and was able to install the latest Catalyst drivers for my video card. I set my gamma at .85 and it looks GREAT now. The "target" gamma is 2.2.

edit: I tried setting the target to 1.8 (Mac default) and confirmed it using that other tool available here: http://www.tsi.enst.fr/~brettel/TESTS/Gamma/Gamma.html

So any word on when we might see a coupon for this?? I'd like to order but am strapped for cash... damn you school!

I'm running Windows 2000, and when I turn off my 2405 using its power button, Windows gives me a nastygram telling me I've disconnected a USB device without stopping it first.

Is it hurting anything to turn it off this way?

Color me impressed, with the 2405 & with Dell. Very few places ship free to Alaska. Dell shipped it to me next day air, which would have cost me probably at least $80. So, big thanks to Dell for the great deal AND for free shipping. Ordered Monday morning, came Wednesday afternoon.

threnx_2405_1.jpg

So far, no dead/stuck pixels, no backlighting issues, no sag. This is my first LCD, I replaced my 21" Trinitron CRT and I'm amazed at how much sharper text is on the 2405.

I just got my 2405fpw. previous monitors, sony G420 19" CRT and Acer 17" LCD (crapola).

It is amazing!!!
one dark pixel in the lower corner.

As for washed out colours, just calibrate your monitor with something like eye-one display.
it is a little tilted which i can live with
but the brightness and colour are great!

I am now thinking of buying another to use as a TV in the bedroom.

Adam Wilkinson said:
Color me impressed, with the 2405 & with Dell. Very few places ship free to Alaska. Dell shipped it to me next day air, which would have cost me probably at least $80. So, big thanks to Dell for the great deal AND for free shipping. Ordered Monday morning, came Wednesday afternoon.

threnx_2405_1.jpg

So far, no dead/stuck pixels, no backlighting issues, no sag. This is my first LCD, I replaced my 21" Trinitron CRT and I'm amazed at how much sharper text is on the 2405.

Looks great !!!

Morning all!

Calkenneth, can't remember if it was you who was asking about the "buzzing" noise coming from these screens? I ran a few more tests last night and found something interesting. When I turned the screen off (with my PC off) and then turned it back on in DVI mode, I could hear a slight buzzing coming from the PSU side of the screen at the back. If I flicked into Composite, S-Video or Component, the buzzing would stop completely. I plugged my PS2 into component and got it powered up and working. Still no buzz.

This morning, powered up my screen 20 mins ago and if I leaned in close to the screen I could hear a slight power buzz again. I powered up my pc (little shuttle running Cool n Quiet - so it's just that) and the slight buzz was still there if I really listened for it. However, within 2-3 minutes of sitting on my desktop, the buzz stopped. Completely. Even if I lean in as close as I can, there's no buzz whatsoever. Really strange :p

Anyway, some of you may have noticed I said I plugged my PS2 in last night! And what a result I got. Bear in mind this is coming from a UK PS2. I tested it with the component inputs. The only game I've got that supports progressive scan (this is the UK remember!) is Jak 2 and Jak 3, so I chucked them on first. They looked pretty good: obviously there were no scan lines, but the low-res of them coupled with the PS2 jaggovision really brought out the lack of AA. Colours were excellent though - very deep! Very bright image too. Next up, I thought I'd try a standard PAL (50hz) game running through the component cable (i.e. interlaced). I wasn't prepared for the sweet result I got. Here's a picture of GTA: San Andreas running at 576i (PAL 50):-

CJ-lookingmightyfine.jpg

I did a backlight test last night too. Here's the result:-

BLACK.jpg

BTW I think that there's some slight overexposure as I don't get any leakage in the top-left as the photo kinda suggests.

Riptide_NVN said:
Try the settings I re-posted and then use this page, 2.0 gamma pattern, to check it with.

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

Rip,

Just tried your settings of:-

Brightness - 27
Red - 36
Green - 33
Blue - 32

ATI Gamma - 0.90

And looked at the Gamma 2.0 test on the site you posted. Reducing the gamma actually brings out the coloured squares in the boxes more. I get a better result with gamma set to 1.00 than 0.90 here. But overall, the image is very DARK. Could be my personal preference mind. I used to run the Dell 2005FPW at 75% brightness.

Just turned my brightness back up to 75% and things look pretty peachy. Possibly a little on the reddish side of things - things look a little too "rosy".

Now then, this looks more natural:-

R: 33
G: 33
B: 32

More fiddling is reqd.

JonDo[H]:

Interesting - so your buzzing now stops after a few minutes if your component source is plugged in? I wonder if it has to do with grounding now?

What happens if the only input you have plugged into the monitor is your video card cable, either DVI or VGA? Does the buzzing continue after 2-3 minutes?

The reason the S-Video, Component, or Composite modes on the monitor do not cause the monitor to buzz is because they do not have a self-test mode where the display is "on" - they automatically go into standby.

When you're in DVI or VGA and the cable isn't connected, there is a self-test mode screen that pops up, which is at the same brightness/contrast as if you were using the screen normally in Windows. That's why you get buzzing in those two modes.

Hi Cal,

No you've misinterpreted me. You're absolutely right that during composite, s-video, comp etc there isn't a self-test, thus if there's no signal being input the screen is basically off. But what I meant was that I tested the component input with my ps2, and in doing this there wasn't even the slightest buzz from the moment I turned the screen on to the moment I turned it off. And this is with the ps2 on and a picture generated by it on the Dell screen.

This morning I thought I'd do some more testing, so I turned the monitor on and onto DVI mode, and instantly I could hear a tiny buzzing whilst the self-test picture was onscreen. I powered my pc on and I could still hear the buzzing. However, once I'd got to the Windows desktop, after 2-3 minutes the buzz just disappeared. I leaned in as close as possible and still couldn't hear anything. My screen's been on all day now and the noise has yet to return. When I power it off soon, I'll come back online later tonight and check whether the noise starts again when powering on the monitor.

It's all very strange, and I'm leaning towards it being a grounding issue. But even if it is, then that doesn't explain why there is absolutely no noise, whilst using component, from start to finish. It appears to be related to using the DVI and VGA inputs only. But as it disappears within a matter of minutes, I think I can live with it :)

Back