Unnoficial: Early 290/290x benches

Tough call, IMO. 524 for an OC 780 is a great deal and if 290x releases at 699 I'd say keep it. But if 290x releases at 599, or if you think Mantle will be a big deal, or if you could use the audio crappola (which is one of the things I'm interested in, since I think I'm going to build a new rig for my home theater) I'd probably lean towards returning it and getting the 290x.

599.00 I would definitely be in. hopefully the DBA sound level is quiet at idle and load on the 290X. If there is a 15-20% gain at 1920X1200 then I will be in.. Currently i only use creative sound blaster cards for sound and always will. I do not think I want to upgrade to 2500x res for at least another year. The NEC wuxi2690s have treated me good and do not mine 60hz vsync. When the time comes though a triple monitor setup at 4k res is my next upgrade and by then I am sure I would need to crossfire or upgrade to the next generation video card

I thought the benchmarks were going to be released today?

I am just afraid to jump into AMD due to graphic driver issues or noise concerns from reference fan.

I think for almost 200.00 it might be worth it though. I guess i should wait to see. These cards can be used as crossfire correct?

There has been no word from AMD when the NDA is going to lift, the 15th was just spread by a rumour site.

AMD's drivers are fine for a single card, for crossfire they still have work to do but it's much better now than before. The 290x is supposed to have hardware frame pacing. As for the noise concerns, well, it seems AMD have been working there too, the 280x fans seem to be much cooler and quieter than the previous ones.

But saying all that, why on earth would you change from a 780? its a great card, quiet, really good performance, very good overclocker too. We don't know what the performance of the 290x is going to be or the price, but unless it's way cheaper and/or has at least 30% performance over the 780 then it's not worth considering.

There has been no word from AMD when the NDA is going to lift, the 15th was just spread by a rumour site.

AMD's drivers are fine for a single card, for crossfire they still have work to do but it's much better now than before. The 290x is supposed to have hardware frame pacing. As for the noise concerns, well, it seems AMD have been working there too, the 280x fans seem to be much cooler and quieter than the previous ones.

But saying all that, why on earth would you change from a 780? its a great card, quiet, really good performance, very good overclocker too. We don't know what the performance of the 290x is going to be or the price, but unless it's way cheaper and/or has at least 30% performance over the 780 then it's not worth considering.

Yeah i will just wait until the reviews are up and running and will make a comparison in performance /DBA/Watts . I have not OC my video card yet but from what I understand in the reviews it is faster then a titan stock

Is it bad that I wish amd would under perform and compete with prices again? I was hoping for another 4xxx series launch that forces nvidias prices to come crashing down.

I was super excited for the original R9 290x $599 price that floated around. $650-699 is fair given the current competition but I was hoping for a killer deal not just a solid contender.

I believe Brent has stated that the 290x (and the rest of the lineup, of course) will be using software frame pacing.

Had to compare against 7970Ghz

Unigine Heaven: Extreme Preset

R9 290X: 59.5fps
7970Ghz: 37.8fps
Difference: 57%

Tesselation performance has increased quite nicely judging from the Unigine score.

Now it's time for 3dmark. Used graphics score to compare because total score depends too much on cpu used
3dmark 11: Performance Preset

R9 290X: 15246
7970Ghz: 10476
Difference: 45%

3dmark 11: Extreme Preset

R9 290X: 4192
7970Ghz: 3090
Difference: 35%

So 35% boost in extreme and 45% boost in perf. preset. Isn't Titan about 30-40% faster than 7970Ghz?

599.00 I would definitely be in. hopefully the DBA sound level is quiet at idle and load on the 290X. If there is a 15-20% gain at 1920X1200 then I will be in.. Currently i only use creative sound blaster cards for sound and always will. I do not think I want to upgrade to 2500x res for at least another year. The NEC wuxi2690s have treated me good and do not mine 60hz vsync. When the time comes though a triple monitor setup at 4k res is my next upgrade and by then I am sure I would need to crossfire or upgrade to the next generation video card

Why do people keep saying things like this. I have been on a 30" 25x16 for going on 7 years at this point and its already HUGE. I just recently went 3x2560x1440 and that is even huger. The pricepoint of 3 4k monitors even once they start coming down in price is going to be multiple thousands of dollars and as 25x14 is still a very very niche product, very few video card set ups can push it properly, much less 3 of them, even less so 3 monitors pushing double the pixels. I can count the amount of people that can a) afford to buy 3 4k monitors and b) run the required amount of hardware to get more than 5 fps on 1 hand, and that includes people planning on doing it in the next 2 years. Sorry for the rant, but why do people keep bringing up things that will not be viable at all even at the highest end for another 3-5 years.

Performance between Titan and 780. Power draw in Furmark is huge. If that is true.

all 1080P when the 680 first came out it beat the 7970 in almost all 1080p games as soon as you hit 1600p - eyefinity amd pulled ahead. 1080p benchmarks at least to me are worthless.

One thing I don't get is why they're pricing 270X higher then currently available, and FASTER 7950's!!! That makes NO sense at all. Basically they're trying to sell re-branded 7870's for the price of 7950s... They're not even in the same ballpark performance wise, especially at higher resolutions. I guess that's the reason a week or two ago you could find 7950's for ~$180 (retail) and now most of them shot back up to $200+ level... And 270x doesn't even have a game bundle!!!! WTF AMD!!!!!

R9-290X-positioning.jpg

Pretty disappointing, IMHO for a product late to market. And it won't be much cheaper than what nVidia is offering.

Keep in mind they are using early driver revisions on a new architecture. I'm sure they'll get more performance out of it in the next few months.

Pretty disappointing, IMHO for a product late to market. And it won't be much cheaper than what nVidia is offering.

I'm not self-righteous and arrogant enough to swagger around with a fanatical certainty about a product that hasn't been released or credibly benchmarked but it's seems worthwhile to quote some of your recent posts:

I said it first. Between $699-$799 and compete with 780. Titan will still be single GPU king.. AMD fanboys didn't want to believe me. Anyone thinking $500-$599 were in dream land.

Funny, my Titan wasn't gouged - I paid retail MSRP.

I've said it since the beginning R290X will be between $699-$799 and compete with 780. Titan will still be single GPU king compared to stock 290X. People thinking less than $600 are in dream land.

AMD would have got a miracle if they managed to get close to the 780/Titan performance to price under $600.

If 290X is 10% slower than a Titan and $100 cheaper. Which would you buy? I'd buy the Titan. Keep in mind you get PhysX with nVidia, and much more RAM.

I'm calling the 290X at $699-$799 pricepoint and the Titan remaining performance king in single GPU.

I don't have a bone in this fight since there's no way I'm paying these prices for a video card but I will admit to rooting for this card to come under $600 and surpass Titan performance just to show up posters who have polluted every thread on this topic. It's extrordinary why people who have no interest in something devote so much energy to obsessing about it.

That guy is trying way too hard to justify his Titan purchase.

That guy is trying way too hard to justify his Titan purchase.

What's so bizarre is why. If I owned a 780 or Titan, nothing about the 290x or 290 deprecates the performance of the Nvidia card, even if the most favorable rumors about the AMD cards turn out to be true. Unless you must have the single absolute fastest card in your system at all times, the rumored performance difference, even if it turns out to be true, just isn't enough to justify any current Nvidia owners to change. The only people affected by the relative performance difference between Nvidia and AMD would be prospective buyers who are moving up from much slower previous gen of cards. But why does anyone care so much about what OTHER people choose to buy? I absolutely cannot understand this mentality.

I wonder what his defense or replies will be if the 290x ends up being faster than the titan, while being cheaper than the 780 (both not confirmed obviously, but looking realistic).

Competition is a good thing, but some people can't appreciate it.

I wonder what his defense or replies will be if the 290x ends up being faster than the titan, while being cheaper than the 780 (both not confirmed obviously, but looking realistic).

Competition is a good thing, but some people can't appreciate it.

I said, as an overall, I thought the Titan will still be faster. That isn't to say the 290X won't beat it in certain tests, especially those that favor their hardware with optimizations.

And I still stand by my pricepoints.

That means he will have overpaid for it.

Hense, the attempted justification.

I said, as an overall, the Titan will still be faster. That isn't to say the 290X won't beat it in certain tests, especially those that favor their hardware with optimizations.

And I still stand by my pricepoints.

Why are you even here? If this was in the main video card forum ok, but all you do is come here and talk about your titan and how you felt it was a good purchase and blah blah blah. Cool story bro, now move on.

Why are you even here? If this was in the main video card forum ok, but all you do is come here and talk about your titan and how you felt it was a good purchase and blah blah blah. Cool story bro, now move on.

Like everyone else, I am free to browse any forum I like and comment.

Like everyone else, I am free to browse any forum I like and comment.

Oh let me go into the Nvidia section and talk all about how I love my HD 7950 and how it was a great purchase. I just don't get why you find the need to post in here when it adds nothing to the discussion.

Oh let me go into the Nvidia section and talk all about how I love my HD 7950 and how it was a great purchase. I just don't get why you find the need to post in here when it adds nothing to the discussion.

I don't care where you post or what you post. That is the difference.

If AMD came out with a product this late that beat the Titan by huge numbers, I would be impressed, but the fact is the performance they are reaching people were enjoying several months ago, so the wait for AMD isn't worth it, IMHO.

Dunno if this was posted, from another forum.

Chinese site with 6 games benchmarked.
http://translate.google.com/transla...http://diy.pconline.com.cn/363/3631256_3.html

Keep in mind, if these tests are legit, they only tested 1080P which doesn't really push these cards that much. But even at 1080p, it shows the 290X not being able to keep up all the time with the Titan. 1440p and 4K tests will be where the tests get interesting.

94c, my goodness. Takes me back to the space heater gtx 480 days. Buying a waterblock for this card will be a must for me.

Furmark is "sort of" useless for that. We know both vendors throttle, right? So it becomes, who is throttling more to maintain temps.

Furmark is "sort of" useless for that. We know both vendors throttle, right? So it becomes, who is throttling more to maintain temps.

Yeah, I know. Still on the high-side though. Just hoping EK has some blocks available once this card launches.

Oh the fanboys do not disappoint.

Heh it never stops does it. Makes me wonder if some people would say the same things about a child of theirs which has yet to be born. "The my infant is terrible, he'll never run the 100m in 10sec because I can't either".
WAIT, till it is OUT.
On another note, what the hell AMD, did they officially postpone the release date?
Even if I ain't buying R290/X there will be deals on used cards for sure, sooner the better.

That chinese website linked above indicated a date of October 24th on the last page for official R9 290X release in China. So I guess it'll be a bit more than another week before this sees the light of day. Still looks pretty impressive there, trading blows with a Titan at a resolution I'd likely be playing at. Did a rough count, out of 10 game tests the 290X won 4 and was within 5% on the rest. The 4999 Yuan price (unconfirmed) comes to about $830 US dollars though, even higher than the $699 I was expecting.

Back