Unnoficial: Early 290/290x benches

Lorien

Supreme [H]ardness
As always, take these with a good helping of salt.
uVi9tAR.jpg

AebHYGY.jpg

Overclocking seems like it's being artificially limited by the max CCC allows, reinforced by the fact that there are no overclocking utilities out for the card (unless someone from the future delivered one).
6F3re6G.jpg

Last edited:
Going to depend alot on what the 290X sells for, 5-10% better isn't worth it if the card is priced too high. (and I mean in relation to a 780, Titan is just too much money):D

I'd really like a couple of these if the price is right.:cool:

Going to depend alot on what the 290X sells for, 5-10% better isn't worth it if the card is priced too high. (and I mean in relation to a 780, Titan is just too much money):D

I'd really like a couple of these if the price is right.:cool:

Vague 4 game composite graphs mean nothing to me. I will wait for the [H] review.

$$$$ is the make or break issue... release pricing and then we will determine if the card is go or bust.

so because Nvidia set a jack ass price for the Titan sveral months ago, $699 looks like a good deal?

Oh lets all rememeber the days when nVidia's flagship was $649 and AMD's was $379. AMD went bonkers with the pricing of the 7970 at $579 but I wouldnt blame them for wanting to price it accordingly due to it being faster than the GTX 580.

so because Nvidia set a jack ass price for the Titan sveral months ago, $699 looks like a good deal?

Seemed to work for the GTX 780, didn't see too many people complaining about that. But I guess it's ok for Nvidia to do it but not AMD.

So much for NDA lift at 12:01am EST on 10-15-2013.

Seemed to work for the GTX 780, didn't see too many people complaining about that. But I guess it's ok for Nvidia to do it but not AMD.

really? thats what you came up with from what I just said? the point is that the Titan's super high price makes the pricing for all other cards seem reasonable to many.

and plenty of people complained about the 780 pricing. if anything most people said the same thing I just did about the price here which was the ONLY reason the 780 looked decent for $650 was because the $1000 Titan.

I only needed 1 post, but 3 is nice.

Obviously you still never understood the fact that highest performance can demand a price premium. If it performs the best there will always be a price premium.

I only needed 1 post, but 3 is nice.

Obviously you still never understood the fact that highest performance can demand a price premium. If it performs the best there will always be a price premium.
gee no shit? you still seem to have comprehension problems here so lets try this again. you acted as if i was giving the 780 and Nvidia a break because you missed the whole point. again Titan was priced sky high so now almost everyone thinks 650-700 bucks is a bargain.

gee no shit? you still seem to have comprehension problems here so lets try this again. you acted as if i was giving the 780 and Nvidia a break because you missed the whole point. again Titan was priced sky high so now almost everyone thinks 650-700 bucks is a bargain.

If it beats a Titan and is the top performing card, then yes it can be considered a "bargain" for the top performing card. But you seem to hunt for more budget oriented cards, so this isn't for you, I don't get why you are even bitching. This is aimed at the enthusiasts who don't mind spending money, I guess you think flagship cards are somehow magically going to be less expensive now that both companies have seen people buy them for $1000.

If it beats a Titan and is the top performing card, then yes it can be considered a "bargain" for the top performing card. But you seem to hunt for more budget oriented cards, so this isn't for you, I don't get why you are even bitching. This is aimed at the enthusiasts who don't mind spending money, I guess you think flagship cards are somehow magically going to be less expensive now that both companies have seen people buy them for $1000.
YOU were the one that quoted me and misunderstood what I said. now you are changing the argument around a bit instead of just admitting you were mistaken about obviously thinking I was jumping on AMD.

and getting to back to the point, yes the $1000 price point is there now and its ingrained so again all it takes is a $650-$700 card to seem like a deal because of that. maybe we should get a $1500 gpu next round so a $1000 card will look like a deal. lol

YOU were the one that quoted me and misunderstood what I said. now you are changing the argument around a bit instead of just admitting you were mistaken about obviously thinking I was jumping on AMD.

and getting to back to the point, yes the $1000 price point is there now and its ingrained so again all it takes is a $650-$700 card to seem like a deal because of that. maybe we should get a $1500 gpu next round so a $1000 card will look like a deal. lol

I should have probably put that on its own line then. In general, I bet you will see tons of bitching about the price soon enough, with some of those people being the same who said the GTX 780 was a bargain. Or people will come and quote some $400 price from years ago.

I really couldn't care less what they charge for the top end, I wait for a good deal to come along. Why spend $600+ on the top end card when you can often get the second best for quite a bit less but only a little less performance. Since I usually upgrade every gen I don't really need to worry about the card lasting for 5 years +.

It's a "top performing card" that beats the flagship from 10 MONTHS AGO, goddammit.
So no, it cannot be considered a bargain, since it only provides slightly higher performance than the previous most powerful card that's already nearly a year old and will soon be phased out by Maxwell.

It's a "top performing card" that beats the flagship from 10 MONTHS AGO, goddammit.
So no, it cannot be considered a bargain, since it only provides slightly higher performance than the previous most powerful card that's already nearly a year old and will soon be phased out by Maxwell.

Maxwell ain't coming out anytime soon. So when Maxwell beats the 290x in 8 months, the same argument could apply against your statement. Thus it is a cycle that always takes place in graphics card world.

No one gains anything from these back and forth arguments. But I am sure it will continue to be My card is better than yours.

Maxwell ain't coming out anytime soon. So when Maxwell beats the 290x in 8 months, the same argument could apply against your statement. Thus it is a cycle that always takes place in graphics card world.

No one gains anything from these back and forth arguments. But I am sure it will continue to be My card is better than yours.

yea my 7970 oc match a 780 stock.
I know what the better value is.
290 will be a superb addition to the gaming landscape.
mantle, trueaudio, all gaming benefits for us PC gamers.

cannondale06, you have very good point.

What we're seeing is price fixing and someone from gov should check that.
It's very comfortable situation for both of the companies.

AMD went bonkers with the pricing of the 7970 at $579 but I wouldnt blame them for wanting to price it accordingly due to it being faster than the GTX 580.

Does nobody ever check their damn facts? $549. Compared to prices of GTX 580s at the time, the price didn't even approach bonkers.

cannondale06, you have very good point.

What we're seeing is price fixing and someone from gov should check that.
It's very comfortable situation for both of the companies.

....buuuuut....the govt kinda isn't working right now..... :p

Does nobody ever check their damn facts? $549. Compared to prices of GTX 580s at the time, the price didn't even approach bonkers.
Yea, I don't really understand that one. As soon as the 680 came out the 7970's street price dropped $100, but when it was first released it was the highest performing gpu.

I also wonder if people bother to go back and price check the GPUs they think they remember from the "good old days" 8800GTX sold for $650 in 2006, GF3 Ti was $350 in 2001 (~600 in 2013 dollars). So nV has a history of pricing their GPU's really high and people are still going to act like AMD is the bad guy for pricing their GPU's at or below what nV does. They're only taking what nV gives them at this point, so who do we really have to thank for that?

As far as price fixing goes, unfortunately that doesn't hold any water since I highly doubt AMD and NV are actively talking prices, they're just following each other's lead... The prices are responding to market forces and relative performance as well. If VZW & ATT aren't getting broken up for price fixing, AMD & nV definitely won't be.

The difference will be that Nvidia won't just beat the 290x by ~5% with Maxwell, it will completely obliterate it, and if launched at normal 780 prices (around $600?) it's gonna be a FAR better value.
Then AMD will catch up 8 months later with a GPU that's slightly better for the same price, while the Nvidia guys already had that performance for all those months and can just relax and wait for the next Nvidia...
This is really pissing me off, because we all know AMD could avoid this stupid catch up game and give SIGNIFICANT improvements for same price or lower than the 780 and make their card valuable as investment, rather than just as a bridge between gk110 and maxwell, a bridge pretty much nobody that bought a GK110 card needs.

That huge performance gap between the 770 and 780 makes me sad because that's right where I'd want a card to be and the 780 pricing is stupidhigh.

thread didn't even get to page 2 before the red vs green bitchfest began.

i'm anxious for any crumb of info i can get on the 290 and 290X cards. but i can't take benchmarks titled "BF3 and Crysis3 and Tomb Raider 8 and Metro LL and Double Dragon II and ..." seriously. looking forward to actual reviews.

I just purchased a Gigabyte GTX 780 OC Windforce REV 2.0 for 524.00 on amazon warehouse deals. Would the R290X be a better card for the extra 175.00? From my understanding I can overclock my card to be faster then a titan video card maybe about 10 percent idk. Also my video card is near silent with a 3 year warranty.

I wonder how the drivers are going to be also for the R290X . Do you think i should return the card?
thanks

Is this how launches always happen? The last card I bought before my most recent build (which wasn't near a launch of anything) was a 5990 and I can't remember if that was anywhere near a launch either. So not sure if I've never really paid attention to a launch as it developed, and they're all like this, or if they're not normally like this.

Because as someone that is planning on buying a card or two soon, this has been annoying as shit. Three hour presentation that talks about everything under the sun except the cards performance and price. Rumored NDA lift that was either false (in which case there is no date for NDA lift or release of the card), or has been pushed back. Leaked "benchmarks" that are mostly useless nonsense. etc, etc.

I just purchased a Gigabyte GTX 780 OC Windforce REV 2.0 for 524.00 on amazon warehouse deals. Would the R290X be a better card for the extra 175.00? From my understanding I can overclock my card to be faster then a titan video card maybe about 10 percent idk. Also my video card is near silent with a 3 year warranty.

I wonder how the drivers are going to be also for the R290X . Do you think i should return the card?
thanks

i don't think anyone can answer this because no legitimate information is known about the 290X. a 780 with a great cooler for $524, at this present time, is a good deal no matter how you swing it.

The difference will be that Nvidia won't just beat the 290x by ~5% with Maxwell, it will completely obliterate it, and if launched at normal 780 prices (around $600?) it's gonna be a FAR better value.
Then AMD will catch up 8 months later with a GPU that's slightly better for the same price, while the Nvidia guys already had that performance for all those months and can just relax and wait for the next Nvidia...
This is really pissing me off, because we all know AMD could avoid this stupid catch up game and give SIGNIFICANT improvements for same price or lower than the 780 and make their card valuable as investment, rather than just as a bridge between gk110 and maxwell, a bridge pretty much nobody that bought a GK110 card needs.

Nvidia seems to be ahead of the game in terms of the graphics card war. I am sure they do this for reasons to not be a monopoly because AMD would surely lose or go bankrupt . It took forever just to release the 7990

thanks

Tough call, IMO. 524 for an OC 780 is a great deal and if 290x releases at 699 I'd say keep it. But if 290x releases at 599, or if you think Mantle will be a big deal, or if you could use the audio crappola (which is one of the things I'm interested in, since I think I'm going to build a new rig for my home theater) I'd probably lean towards returning it and getting the 290x.

i don't think anyone can answer this because no legitimate information is known about the 290X. a 780 with a great cooler for $524, at this present time, is a good deal no matter how you swing it.

I thought the benchmarks were going to be released today?

I am just afraid to jump into AMD due to graphic driver issues or noise concerns from reference fan.

I think for almost 200.00 it might be worth it though. I guess i should wait to see. These cards can be used as crossfire correct?

What are you talking about? Maxwell is going to be a completely new process, the 780 is second generation kepler, the 290x is second generation GCN, they are both the 28Nm refreshes from each company.

And AMD had the fastest single GPU up until the release of the Titan.

I don't understand what you mean about this stupid catch up game? One company will always be releasing cards in front of the other. Was it a stupid catch up game when Nvidia released the 480 six/seven months after AMD released the 5870?

Please do share how AMD can give SIGNIFICANT improvements for the same price or lower than the 780? The 7970 can be overclocked a lot and come very close to the performance of a 780 for way less in price.

And lastly, haven't you learned anything from the last few generation of cards? the days of obliterating older cards are gone. Smaller die sizes aren't bringing massive performance increases like the they did with cards like the 8800 GTX.

Back