Unmanned Aircraft Banned In National Parks

HardOCP News

[H] News
The National Park Service has banned the use of drones in national parks across the United States. Rumor has it that the National Park Service will be using this lady to enforce the ban. :D

National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis today signed a policy memorandum that directs superintendents nationwide to prohibit launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service.

well that sucks. Imagine the awesome photos you could get with UAV's at the Grand Canyon for example. Should be allowed with permit.

"Unmanned drones are not allowed to take pictures over our lands, due to privacy concerns of the publics picture being taken"

"Does this mean you are not allowed to take peoples pictures from helicopters and airplanes?"

"Nah, that's still allowed"

"So is this just public fear mongering?"

"Yes, yes it is"

I'm glad, but not because of some "privacy" reason...those things are LOUD!! Imagine the pristine nature of Yosemite. then suddenly 2 photographer's drones start lurking above...nope...I'm glad.

"Unmanned drones are not allowed to take pictures over our lands, due to privacy concerns of the publics picture being taken"

"Does this mean you are not allowed to take peoples pictures from helicopters and airplanes?"

"Nah, that's still allowed"

"So is this just public fear mongering?"

"Yes, yes it is"
Hard to miss a helicopter or airplane at an altitude that can invade your privacy. Harder still for them to do that and stay anonymous.

Hard to miss a helicopter or airplane at an altitude that can invade your privacy. Harder still for them to do that and stay anonymous.

Really?

A helicopter touched down in Quebec last month in the middle of a jail and three of the highest ranked members of the Hells Angels did a prison break, they have yet to find the helicopter used in the jail break

Fucking easy to stay anonymous, its not like helicopters have license plates on them

Invade your privacy in a public park? Wow, I kinda don't expect privacy in a public park.

As always the easy way to just 'ban' everything. I've said it else where, but make pilots of rc craft (quads or planes) get a licence/pass to be able to fly. Just like you need to get for fish or hunting (in some parks). This keeps the newbies out of park (most likely the reason for this 'law' in the first place) and lets the people that really know what their doing take pictures of the park and share them with everyone. The parks are paid for and used by everyone, if i take a video of with my phone over people standing around the park, whats the difference if the 'phone' is up 100ft in the air doing the same thing?

It's a sad day when 'banning' is the best that the government/park people can come up with.

It's sounds kinda negative, but unfortunatly stuff like this need to be put out there to legally pursue <irresponsible douche bags> from buzz killing enjoyment of the natural scenery of our National Parks. :-(

That said according to the article there are allowances for permits and such so this isn't some blanket ban. I for one would love to see some footage from a quality film crew could put out with some of the new quadacopters platforms.

Only rapists, flashers, and homeless people expect privacy in public parks.

A child and a rapist are walking through the woods. The child says "Gee mister, these woods are sure scary". The rapist says "Imagine how I feel, I have to walk back to the car alone".

They cannot enforce it - FAA regulates the airspace and not the Interior Department.

the war on radio control planes/helis/toys AKA "drones" has begun.

there goes that hobby! pfft

"There is no expectation of privacy in public".

That statement shows how much of a scum bag nation this has become. We don't give a fuck about ethics anymore, just entitlement, just the legality of our actions.

"No expectation of privacy", so I guess the people who drone that mantra wouldn't mind someone walking up to their family's picnic site and sitting right down at the table next to their wife and kids. Or are there actually levels of privacy expected by decent poeple in a polite society?

I would hope drones with cameras would be useful tools for things like egg counts for endangered birds or looking for lost hikers.
Apparently hunters are too scared they might be caught cuddling one another or molesting park animals and those campers don't want drone videos of their carnal activities uploaded to redtube or something.
Damn.
What is the world coming to?

It's understandable for the noise complaints. However, the ban shouldn't be that broad to include everything, including future rotors that could produce less noise.

I'm glad, but not because of some "privacy" reason...those things are LOUD!! Imagine the pristine nature of Yosemite. then suddenly 2 photographer's drones start lurking above...nope...I'm glad.

Then you should be more concerned about people driving through with Harley's and other loud motorcycles. It's not that hard to find stories online on people complaining that they are scaring away animals from getting anywhere near the roads.

Really?

A helicopter touched down in Quebec last month in the middle of a jail and three of the highest ranked members of the Hells Angels did a prison break, they have yet to find the helicopter used in the jail break

Fucking easy to stay anonymous, its not like helicopters have license plates on them
They have unique registration, called 'n-numbers' that are required on the fuselage. So they all should have a de facto license plate.

The fact some Quebec prison guards didn't have their wits about them to get it, or the helicopter was willing to risk not have it visible on a one-off trip doesn't change that.

"There is no expectation of privacy in public".

That statement shows how much of a scum bag nation this has become. We don't give a fuck about ethics anymore, just entitlement, just the legality of our actions.

"No expectation of privacy", so I guess the people who drone that mantra wouldn't mind someone walking up to their family's picnic site and sitting right down at the table next to their wife and kids. Or are there actually levels of privacy expected by decent poeple in a polite society?
You're right, the fact that this is outlawed shows how entitled and selfish scum bags have become. They are willing to infringe upon the liberties of their neighbor in order to have the illusion of privacy in a public park that is out in the open and belongs to everyone. Talk about bullshit entitlement.

And to drive home how stupid this is, I can fly right above you with a camera in a public park in my friends Schweizer 300C helicopter, but a hobbyist just going to a park to fly his RC planes with electric motors that are very quiet and make less noise than your average car can't.

And how many complaints have their been do you imagine about someone actually harassing people with their drone right above their heads following them around? The ONLY instance I've heard of, the drone was flying very high, but the people took offense to being video taped committing illegal acts of cruelty and hunting violations. I can imagine that if I were doing something illegal, I'd be pissed off if someone was intentionally recording me do it.

Believe it or not, hobby quads out in parks generally do NOT want you in the picture, if you even see them for a moment (at altitude its unlikely you'll hear them to know they are there). The point is just a hobby, just like aerial photography, because its fun.

This is what they want to see, not your ass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd_sYfbceGs

Now people will still be able to fly all over and around national parks for aerial photography, but they'll have to be 1%ers that can afford to buy or rent a full size helicopter or slow flying fixed wing aircraft.

They cannot enforce it - FAA regulates the airspace and not the Interior Department.

While the DOI/NPS may not be able to enforce the airspace they sure as heck can control landing and takeoffs.

@Ducman69
How about this. I'm going to have the police arrest you because you keep looking at my quad while it's minding its own business flying in a public park.

Then you should be more concerned about people driving through with Harley's and other loud motorcycles. It's not that hard to find stories online on people complaining that they are scaring away animals from getting anywhere near the roads.

I find the idea of less roadkill because loud pipes are spooking the animals away from roads to be more of a win rather a fail. I'm not just talking little critters either but stuff like deer or larger. Yeah, if some jack-hole's shotgun Harley exhausts prevent me from spending a shitload of money fixing my car after a deer bolts in front of me I'm all for it.

You're unaware that they have cameras that can focus on a square foot of real estate from over 5000 feet up I take it. They're working on one that can do it from 20,000 now. So, yeah they can watch you from a plane or 'copter without you being aware of it.
Such a equipment is just freely available for a few dollars and no paper trail. un huh. At least it won't be buzzing me while I enjoy the view.

Back