Unlocking Phenom II x2 550 and temps.

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
I got my PII 550 yesterday, and today I unlocked successfully the 3rd and 4th core, booted fine as PII X4 B50, and primed for hours without any errors.

But, how can I tell about my temps? I mean, the cpu sensors are disabled, so what do I do now?

I want to start overclocking it too, but I'm afraid it might be already stressed too hot...

if accurate you could go by the motherboard cpu sensor temp.. its usually 10C higher then the actual core temp..

what cooling do you have for the processor?

Errr... the stock cooling actually :S

I am looking to get a decent one, but havent got any after market coolers since big typhoon for my q6600, and I am a bit lost.

Plus, my phenom system is inside a midi no-name case, and combined with the 4870x2, the whole case feels really hot when I put my hand on it... that can't be good...

You sir, need to head over to the case modding section and find out how to start cutting holes in that puppy. :D

I went to play basketball today, and left my pc prime-ing all four cores at stock speeds and voltage.

When I got back it was showing 83c, so that should be around 73c core temps...

Time to change case?

Time to change HSF.

The stockie is ok for lighter users. For harder things like prime95 and such... the dinky aluminum hsf is crying.

Any suggestions ? Actually two suggestions if you can, a cheap but also good one, and then the absolute best (or one of them) for AMD cpus.

I'm using a Sunbeam Core Contact cooler that seems to work well. Haven't overclocked yet though. BTW I've read that the fan that comes with it is crap though.

Back