Unlocking both cores x2 550 with ECS A780GM-A Ultra

RumpRoast

Gawd
Hey guys,

With all the successes of unlocking cores on the X3 and the new X2 550 I was wondering if anyone had any luck with the ECS A780GM-A Ultra.

I read that it's as simple as turning on ACC to auto and reboot but every thread that I've read were 790 boards not 780's. I've noticed in my bios that I too have an option to turn on ACC to auto so that got ke curious.

I was already considering the x3 720 but if I can save $40 and get the x2 550 to unlock the other 2 cores then awesome.

Thanks in advance for any replies

if it has ACC its possible.. but honestly.. without actually knowing it will work.. id go with the x3 720 in hopes of unlocking the 4th core.. so that if it doesnt work.. atleast you have a tri-core and not a dual core..

You need a southbridge SB710 or SB750.

Pretty much all 790GX/FX and so have SB750.

780G came out with the SB700 and many vendors have not upgraded it to SB710/SB750.

There are 760G boards with SB710.

Looking at your board OP yours is a SB700 southrbridge. I'm a bit surprise to see ACC on a SB700 southbridge.

Keep us up to date on your results.

The non ultra version has the SB700 but I have the ultra with SB750.

I know I'll see a nice substanial difference going from my X2 5000 Brisbane but want to know how big of a jump would I see going with the phenom 550.

You need a southbridge SB710 or SB750.

Pretty much all 790GX/FX and so have SB750.

780G came out with the SB700 and many vendors have not upgraded it to SB710/SB750.

There are 760G boards with SB710.

Looking at your board OP yours is a SB700 southrbridge. I'm a bit surprise to see ACC on a SB700 southbridge.

Keep us up to date on your results.

i already explained this in another post.. the the 780G comes with the SB600 through 710 with 1 ECS board using the SB750 which is the board this poster has..
(now i cant find the dang thread)

but yeah.. ECS tried to use the SB750 as a selling point for the 780G boards.. why.. i have no friggin clue..

also the 790GX/FX have the SB600/700/750.. so its not like the 790GX/FX only come with the SB750 southbridge..

Ah I thought all 790FX boards with SB600 have gone extinct by now.

But pretty much all 790GX have only SB750.

Ah I thought all 790FX boards with SB600 have gone extinct by now.

But pretty much all 790GX have only SB750.

You're right when it comes to respectable manufacturers but we still have to take ECS, PCChips and others into account . . . unfortunantly :(

Strange, the southbridge on my A780G-A is listed as SB750 by AOD and CPUZ. Didn't notice ACC in the BIOS though (or does it go by another name?). *sigh*

Strange, the southbridge on my A780G-A is listed as SB750 by AOD and CPUZ. Didn't notice ACC in the BIOS though (or does it go by another name?). *sigh*

Asus calls it Unleash or some crap like that so ACC is not guaranteed to be the name.

I just checked the manual:

In the M.I.B. section of the bios, there is an option for Advanced Clock Calibration also called (you guessed it ACC), my hunch is that if you turned this to Auto it would unlock the cores. It's on page 40 of the manual which is page 46 of the acrobat file.

Please RTFM!

I just checked the manual:

In the M.I.B. section of the bios, there is an option for Advanced Clock Calibration also called (you guessed it ACC), my hunch is that if you turned this to Auto it would unlock the cores. It's on page 40 of the manual which is page 46 of the acrobat file.

Please RTFM!

Not in my A780GM-A non-Ultra manual, buddy. :) So I'm guessing it just ain't there for me.

The non ultra version has the SB700 but I have the ultra with SB750.

I know I'll see a nice substanial difference going from my X2 5000 Brisbane but want to know how big of a jump would I see going with the phenom 550.

Hello dude, I bought a rig similar to yours, and i truly need help to get what's going on when i'm trying overclock, since i noticed that you overclock your AX2 5000+ well.

So, the specs:

Athlon X2 5200+ Brisbane (AM2)
Mobo ECS A780GM-A Ultra (v. bios 16/04/09)
2x1gb OCZ Platinum rev. 2 800 4-4-4-15 @2.0V
Fonte CM EPP 390W
VGA HD4850 512mb IceQ
SO Windows 7 RC 7100

Well, the thing is, i don't know if it's an issue of my mobo, bios or processor which is only AM2, but in setup there's no ACC and CPU function options, and the system is respond weirdly on overclock.

- I can only use BIOS, since AMD Overdrive instantly crashes when I apply ANY changes. =/
- Memory divisors are messed up, memtest recognizes one mem freq speed, windows rec another...
- System hangs when memos go above 800Mhz
- HTT changes are undetected, i mean, when i put 210 HTT my processor still stock, when i put 220, it overs to 2.835Ghz, like it should with 210 HTT! When i put more, 230, 240, there's no change at all, still 2.835!!

Did you face any of these problems or anybody got a clue about this? Which BIOS version do you use?

Sry for the english, and i appreciate very much help on this =D

Turn ACC to Hybrid, Cores to Auto

up your CPU voltage slightly, as your a 80w 550 be unlocked becomes a 125w x4. it is also a good idea to NOT OC anything when unlocking.

You can not unlock a brisbane chip, this is limited to the phenom II chips that have some of their cores disabled (ex x2 550, x3 720, sempron 140, or for cache x4 620)

hmm well if it fails i just want to tell you that even if u unlock it to quad core you will loose the ability to monitor temperatures. im currently running dual core and i could unlock it to quad but i decided to just stick with dual core and oc to 3.6 right now. instead of going quad core and oc all 4 cores to 3.6. i heard that when u oc it temperature is +10 c more.

You can not unlock a brisbane chip, this is limited to the phenom II chips that have some of their cores disabled (ex x2 550, x3 720, sempron 140, or for cache x4 620)
Hello, thanks for answer. Well, I did realize early that this option is hidden just because it has no use for Brisbane cores, only from Agena and beyond (Deneb, Propus, etc) when I search more about this mysterious Advanced Clock Calibration.

Btw, i don't want that any cores magically appears :D I just want to raise the HTT properly, maybe put this 2.7Ghz to work above 3.0Ghz, that's my goal. But since my BIOS seems to be all messed up, i just don't know what to do :confused: so I'm searching about people who tried overclocking Windsor/Brisbane based chips with this motherboard.

Anyway, any hint you all can give me is truly helpful. :D

News - I updated the BIOS to the newest version (14/07/2009) and now the BIOS is overclocking functional, i had some troubles with my RAM but I managed to get 3.1Ghz - until now - stables.

Back