Unlocked x2 550 to X6 1090T worth the upgrade?

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I'm currently running an unlocked phenom II x2 550 @3.6ghz and am looking at getting another 4890 and psu for a crossfire setup. Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to the Phenom II X6 1090T? Computer is used mainly for gaming (Bad company 2) with some school work on the side. Rest of the specs are in sig

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or suggestions :D

Last edited:
yes/no.....i did an identicle upgrade(couldnt unlock my x2 though), and it was worth it from my perspective(i did build the rest of my machine out of aticipation for Thuban though...), it really depends on what game your doing......if you do something that really uses cores(ie BFbC2), then yes, if your doing CoD, no....

I would honestly take the money your putting into another 4890, and possibly 1090T, and get yourself a 5870 2GB....would cost the same and give you the best performance upgrade for gaming.

My main game right now is Battlefield: Bad Company 2, never really got into COD lol :).

then if your not interested in doing a GFX upgrade to 58** card, the x6 is your best bet.......BFBC2 will use all 6 cores(IIRC the Physics is all computed on the CPU, and does a dam good job), but a 5870 2GB model will give you the best upgrade on that setup....since you can use the DX11 for better visuals/eyecandy, plus it should give you similar performance in BFBC2 as two 4890's......

Would it? I looked at the chart on tom's hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...h-quality/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2,2237.html

On there for (1920x1200, 4AA, 8AF, High Quality, DX10)

4890 = 35.60 FPS
5870 = 52.30 FPS
4890 CF = 69.4 FPS

At least that's what the website says, but on my setup my frames are a lot higher. I run 1920x1080 with all High 1AA 16AF with HBAO off. Usually in the 50-60 range. What other eyecandy is there in BC2 with DX11?

Prices for upgrade components (found a lot on forums that are available)

1090T $275
4890 $145
1000w Antec psu $90
5870 1GB ~$285-300
5850 ~$230

Crossfire would cost me 235 for the 4890 and psu. For the 5870 my psu should be fine I think so would only need to buy the card. I'm wondering if a cpu upgrade is needed for either case and which would yield better results?

Last edited:
1277482943gry_badcompany2.png

There will be some gain but imho definitly not worth price premium.

IMHO biggest ROI will be 5870.

the CPU upgraded is not needed since you are unlocked, your extra power will not be worth the investment(see post above mine),

i would replace that PSU regardless, but even going CF 4890 a 1kw is way overkill, a decent quality 650/750 unit is what you should be looking at.

my suggestion still lies with the 5870 2GB, not 1GB, since it will give you a nice boost over the 1GB

btw- where are you finding a 1090T at $275, before I left the states two weeks ago the lowest was still
$300.

Thanks for the graph Michaelius! I couldn't find anything that had BC2 with the graphics card and these cpus. Really Appreciate it :)

W. Feather - Only reason im looking at the 1kw is because i found a nice deal on it for $90 , its like 185 on newegg and a decent 750 is around $100. Maybe prepare me for 5870 CF down the road lol. What difference would I see between the 1gb and 2 gb versions of the card? I havent seen any reviews of the two yet.

I found that 1090T in the For Sale/Trade section on here :D. I tend to always look there before I go hit up newegg because every now and then I'll run into something good.

Thanks again for all the info and suggestions guys

the CPU upgraded is not needed since you are unlocked, your extra power will not be worth the investment(see post above mine),

i would replace that PSU regardless, but even going CF 4890 a 1kw is way overkill, a decent quality 650/750 unit is what you should be looking at.

my suggestion still lies with the 5870 2GB, not 1GB, since it will give you a nice boost over the 1GB

btw- where are you finding a 1090T at $275, before I left the states two weeks ago the lowest was still
$300.

bad.. bad.. bad suggestions..(except the PSU.. totally correct on that.. 1KW is way over kill)

1. i would not recommend the 5870 2GB UNLESS you plan to go with eyefinity.. the extra 1GB of ram equates to about 3fps more then the 1GB version and gives no extra benefit for AA on a single display config..

2. the 4890's in crossfire will out perform the 5870 no matter how you put it. yes you lose dx11 support but please tell me a game that actually uses dx11 for anything other then smoothing out lines on a wall and helmet and a few extra shadow effects? there is absolutely no reason to go 5870 right now if you already have a 4890 and can find another one for sub 100 dollars used and in good condition..

3. yes there is a benefit to going to the 1090T but since the OP'er already has it unlocked the only big reason to go with the 1090T would be the higher overclocking and better gaming performance in cpu limited games like BFBC2, GTA4, and a few of the other crappy console ports. while the OP'ers 550(955 C2) is pretty much limited to about 3.6-3.7ghz the 1090T will be able to do 4ghz which yes is a plus for single threaded applications because thats an extra 400mhz going to that application that wasnt going to it originally.. it also runs cooler.. it also uses less power to overclock to the same clocks with added performance.

4. now would i recommend the 1090T in this case? probably not but the 1090T will have a slight benefit in crossfire over the 550(955) since you can get a higher overclock.. so its really up to the OP'er if they want to spend that extra 225-250 bucks for a 20% gain in performance..

bah, what am I thinking, too much partying :p.....listen to monkey, not me....

which 1kw unit out of curiosity???

bah, what am I thinking, too much partying :p.....listen to monkey, not me....

which 1kw unit out of curiosity???

lol.. dont worry i was in the 5870 2GB camp for a while to but after seeing all the reviews with it vs the 1GB the cards gpu limited way before its memory limited..

if anything id recommend the corsair 750HX.. (should of been in my original post but sleep deprivation is getting to me)

i personally would go with the Antec TP-750, great thing, often as cheap as the TX-750, as good as the Corsair, and partially modular like the HX750

Thanks guys!

PSU Im looking at is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012 , not bad for $90 :D just hope it isnt sold yet lol. I was going to buy a corsair 750/850 until I found this one.

After looking at a TON of reviews, comparisons and your guyses suggestions I just bought a second 4890 so I will be going the Crossfire route. Will not be getting the 1090T unless I feel the need for a little extra performance in a couple weeks.

$90 for that psu? I'm showing $180, but I might be missing something.

the 1055t is such a great overclocker I see no reason to spend 100 or so more on a 1090t. And since your ok with the fs/t forum I have seen 1055t's in the 150 range & from what I can tell hitting 4.0ghz isnt unheard of on air with good cooling. Beyond that I agree with your xfire 4890's over a single 5870. & even though that is an older model psu, its still a hell of a price..

$90 for that psu? I'm showing $180, but I might be missing something.

$90 was what I found it for in the FS/T section on here, but it might be sold :( lol.
I'll try out Crossfire with my x2 then if i feel bottlenecked at all I will give the 1055 or 1090 a try later this month :D

Back