Unlocked Nexus S 9020t on T-mobile talk only prepaid plan possible?

Falling Anvil

[H]ard|Gawd
This sounds a bit silly, but I've been talked into (ok dragged by my family) grabbing a smartphone. I've done my research and concluded that I'd like to get my hands on an unlocked T-mobile Nexus S (emphasis on "unlocked" as we're going abroad on vacation next month and would like to use our phones while over there). Thing is, my cell phone plan is currently one of those talk only pay as you go phone plans with no data. I'm satisfied with this plan for now (I'm not really a heavy caller), and while I'm planning to eventually make the leap to another T-mobile plan w/ data, any phone I'd use, including this potential Nexus S, would need to operate with that pay as you go plan.

Thing is, I'm not quite assured that this is really doable. I know it's possible to do with a smartphone in general, I actually have a family member in the exact same situation rocking an Xperia Arc S, but since the Nexus line is more tied to Google I was just wondering if there might be anything stopping me from using a Nexus S like this. I figure that if I can pull this off I won't need to carry both a phone and a media player with me, and in the medium-long term I'll get on a plan.

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing stopping you, T-Mobile's unlocked plans work great with smartphones, and the Nexus S in particular is an excellent choice for use with any of their plans

In fact, I'm sure many on this very board use the phone in exactly the way you descirbe...

Thanks for the reassurance, from what I've gleaned from online searches going without a data plan on a Nexus S is certainly possible, but I still haven't seen anyone using one with a T-mobile pay as you go plan, hence why I thought I'd ask. If for nothing else I could use the phone as a substitute and replacement for my ipod touch 2G w/ broken headphone jack so I wouldn't need to carry two devices with me, and down the road I'd really like to get onto that 30 a month unlimited data plan T-mobile has but which I'm not in a position to swing for right now.

I actually think my question should be more about the plan than the phone. Do you think there would there be anything different about that pay as you go program compared to a monthly plan that could potentially keep me from using it on a Nexus S in particular, or is a SIM a SIM even on a google linked phone?

Last edited:
make sure you disable data in the settings as a precaution. but you should be good.

Sim is a Sim, being a google phone wont be any different from what I can tell (I ran a i9020t on ATT no data for a while till they caught on, had charge removed though and promptly went back to T-Mo with cheaper data...), also you can unlock the phone yourself with some simple tweaking since it is a google phone.

Why would you need to disable data in the phone? TMO can't bill him for a data plan.

You may consider Pure TalkUSA. If your phone is unlocked, you simply have to slip one of these in your phone. For a person that uses their phone lightly, it is a great deal. You can still get data within range of Wifi, of course, and if you're nifty you can set up Google Voice w/GrooveIP to make free wifi calls. $10/month prepaid is about as good as it gets. The minutes rollover into your next month, as well. No hidden charges, they don't bug me, and you get bonus minutes to begin.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, just picked up the phone today from the post office(was supposed to come yesterday but apparently they couldn't find anyone to sign), and it seems to be working fine with the Pay as You Go sim! :)

Battery cover seems really hard to take off though, it's supposed to be a new unit and I think I've already scratched the upper part of the battery cover notch "lip". :(

Back