Unlocked Frame Rate and More Now Enabled for UWP

"Windows 10 machines will be updated gradually, but says that you can force the 'patch' by visiting this page and downloading it. However, at the time of writing, there is no update to be found - hopefully it'll be along shortly [UPDATE: Microsoft's PR agency tells us it should be available at 6pm UK time]."

went looking found that...

I am honestly pulling for them to work this out. Next up they got to get MOD support. I love Steam, but the more places to buy games the better for all of us. Not to mention game installs that are sandboxed and secure is a nice bonus verses a giant open folder on my PC. Competition is good.

Last edited:
I can't believe "unlocked framerates" is a news item now.....jesus....used to be in every game as is.

I can't believe "unlocked framerates" is a news item now.....jesus....used to be in every game as is.
True, but it was just a crappy restriction of their platform. Which kind of makes sense since it wasn't originally made for games.

Yeah, I'm pulling for them to get UWP and their store working as well. I don't want it to replace steam (as in some future version of windows doesn't work with steam), but I want some competition, and I hope MS will consider releasing more xbox exclusives on PC. It looks like they are headed that way.

Yeah, I'm pulling for them to get UWP and their store working as well. I don't want it to replace steam (as in some future version of windows doesn't work with steam), but I want some competition, and I hope MS will consider releasing more xbox exclusives on PC. It looks like they are headed that way.

me too... sandboxing is good for the most part (though except for c++ runtimes and directx deps, most games are just file directories, a poor man's sandbox).

Since you can sideload UWP apps, the steam client could deploy and manage apps in the same format as the windows store (in theory). Win win imo.

I will completely agree that MS released UWP with some pretty big feature gaps, but seems like they are resolving some of the big/easy ones pretty fast... frame rate etc, which is awesome and showing the benefit for their "continuous" update model. Though I think they still have some other hurdles to get more adoption.

I personally love the idea of having a store in win10 just like on my phone. Its easy to launch and search, install and get updates... very nice.

I am pretty excited for this change. I bought Gears: UE at launch and my only issues with the game were the frame skips and no support for G-Sync. The frame skips felt like they were caused by V-Sync being forced on all time so it'll be interesting to see if those are fixed now. I'll try it out later.

Edit: Played through Act 1 of Gears and while I didn't see an option to turn off V-Sync, G-Sync seemed to be working. It felt much smoother than before and the bad frame skips I noticed at launch were greatly reduced. Basically, this is how games should have been on the Windows Store to begin with. Hopefully we'll never have to deal with any PC game having forced V-Sync ever again.

Last edited:
I am honestly pulling for them to work this out. Next up they got to get MOD support. I love Steam, but the more places to buy games the better for all of us. Not to mention game installs that are sandboxed and secure is a nice bonus verses a giant open folder on my PC. Competition is good.

Agreed on more competition for Steam, but I dont agree that it has to be MS.

Several reasons:

1- They are only doing this because the xbone is failing hard to the PS4. If they had a dominant position on consoles, we wouldnt be talking about this.
2- Again, to give the 360 and now the xbone advantages, they crippled DirectX gamepad tech. (DirectInput - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
3- Steam needs competition, but given how dirty MS will always be, they will kill Steam and with it, multiplatform releases (OSX and more important, Linux/Steam OS).

Might be more, but perhaps you get the idea.

Personally, I am tired of this damn monopoly, tired of paying license for a damn OS or better yet, not trusting the OS at all (W10).

I think Microsoft is in a much more vulnerable position these days. Of course they may do something stupid in the future but I feel like they are painfully aware that there are other options these days.

Agreed on more competition for Steam, but I dont agree that it has to be MS.

Several reasons:

1- They are only doing this because the xbone is failing hard to the PS4. If they had a dominant position on consoles, we wouldnt be talking about this.
2- Again, to give the 360 and now the xbone advantages, they crippled DirectX gamepad tech. (DirectInput - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
3- Steam needs competition, but given how dirty MS will always be, they will kill Steam and with it, multiplatform releases (OSX and more important, Linux/Steam OS).

Might be more, but perhaps you get the idea.

Personally, I am tired of this damn monopoly, tired of paying license for a damn OS or better yet, not trusting the OS at all (W10).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ For me, I don't care who the competition is. The more the merrier.

Has anyone tried this on GOW yet? Just want to confirm its working before I purchase.

Has anyone tried this on GOW yet? Just want to confirm its working before I purchase.

Yes, I edited my post above with some info on how it ran for me. One thing I didn't mention is that setting the textures to Ultra instead of 4K reduces the frame skips to where they are nearly gone. If you're not playing at 4K there is no need to set the texture quality to 4K anyway.

insider preview update to version 14342 this morning and forces me to reinstall apex(still d/ling). so ill see what I end up with in a bit. hopefully that update is to do with this UWP update...

edit: not seeing any difference on my system... the refresh/frame rate setting in apex is goofy anyways, dynamic, 30 and 60 is all I get. if I set to dynamic it locks to 30, obviously 30 and 60 lock to those. wtf is the point of dynamic then?

Last edited:
"Once applications take advantage of these new features, you will be able to play your UWP games with unlocked frame rates. We expect Gears of War: UE and Forza Motorsport 6: Apex to lead the way by adding this support in the very near future."

dammit!

I think Microsoft is in a much more vulnerable position these days. Of course they may do something stupid in the future but I feel like they are painfully aware that there are other options these days.
They still more or less have a gun to peoples' heads as far as PC gaming goes.

"Once applications take advantage of these new features, you will be able to play your UWP games with unlocked frame rates. We expect Gears of War: UE and Forza Motorsport 6: Apex to lead the way by adding this support in the very near future."

dammit!

Hopefully they'll update them ASAP. Until they do this this update only benefits G-Sync/Freesync users.

Last edited:
Fired up Gears again and it was updated to let you turn off V-Sync and it let you control the frame rate limit by having options for 30, 60, 120, and Unlimited. Options for anisotropic filtering and displaying the frame rate have also been added.

not sure if anyone else has been watching for an update for apex but I got one just now via windows store. went to apex page and it said update available. gonna check it out now.

edit: update has added vsync to the performance option. it now has: dynamic, 30 vsync, 30, 60 vsync and 60. every option locks it to the given number and "dynamic" still locks it to 30. WTF?! theyneed to unlock it dammit!

edit 2: max opponents is also gone but I never touched that...

Last edited:
May 12 update
Click "Update" on the Windows Store link to begin installation. Also look for an available Windows Update on your PC under the Settings menu.

236.0 MB

To see all Video settings options change Dynamic Optimization from On to Custom.
Originally Posted by: Mechberg
Today we released the first content update (CU) for Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. This CU includes a number of improvements to the game, including the following:

• Players can now disable Vsync in Apex (NOTE: This feature requires upgrading to a specific version of Windows 10 [OS Build 10586.318]). To disable Vsync:

1. Ensure you are on the correct Windows Build 10586.318
  2. Select your desired performance from the Performance Target screen:
    5c88eef3-d75a-411f-9c22-59c5501d7fcd.jpg

3. Ensure you application matches your screen resolution settings. The easiest way to do this is set the “Force Resolution” video option to OFF, which will automatically match your game resolution to your native resolution.
    f5485dce-482f-4af8-a32d-e8aa5d4fb2ad.jpg

4. Ensure your application is running in a full screen mode (no borders / task tray). You can toggle full screen mode by pressing the Alt + Enter keys.

[NOTE: As of this update, Forza Motorsport 6: Apex is still capped at a maximum frame rate of 60fps. The team is investigating adding support for higher framerates in a future update.]

Other changes in this CU include:

• Stability and performance updates spanning a number of machine configurations, with specific focus on AMD devices
  • Gameplay/objective modifications to a handful of events in both the Showcase Tour and Spotlight Series
  • Improved integration between Apex and Forza Hub, as well as improved redemption flow for the free Nissan GT-R bonus car
  • Additional UI fixes and general improvements, including: Expiration times for Spotlight Series events are now shown in local time; "New” UI designation now only applies to events that are actually new; Total medals available in Spotlight Series now only counts for active events

May 12 update
Click "Update" on the Windows Store link to begin installation. Also look for an available Windows Update on your PC under the Settings menu.

236.0 MB

To see all Video settings options change Dynamic Optimization from On to Custom.
Originally Posted by: Mechberg
Today we released the first content update (CU) for Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. This CU includes a number of improvements to the game, including the following:

• Players can now disable Vsync in Apex (NOTE: This feature requires upgrading to a specific version of Windows 10 [OS Build 10586.318]). To disable Vsync:

1. Ensure you are on the correct Windows Build 10586.318
  2. Select your desired performance from the Performance Target screen:
    5c88eef3-d75a-411f-9c22-59c5501d7fcd.jpg

3. Ensure you application matches your screen resolution settings. The easiest way to do this is set the “Force Resolution” video option to OFF, which will automatically match your game resolution to your native resolution.
    f5485dce-482f-4af8-a32d-e8aa5d4fb2ad.jpg

4. Ensure your application is running in a full screen mode (no borders / task tray). You can toggle full screen mode by pressing the Alt + Enter keys.

[NOTE: As of this update, Forza Motorsport 6: Apex is still capped at a maximum frame rate of 60fps. The team is investigating adding support for higher framerates in a future update.]

Other changes in this CU include:

• Stability and performance updates spanning a number of machine configurations, with specific focus on AMD devices
  • Gameplay/objective modifications to a handful of events in both the Showcase Tour and Spotlight Series
  • Improved integration between Apex and Forza Hub, as well as improved redemption flow for the free Nissan GT-R bonus car
  • Additional UI fixes and general improvements, including: Expiration times for Spotlight Series events are now shown in local time; "New” UI designation now only applies to events that are actually new; Total medals available in Spotlight Series now only counts for active events

Still capped at 60? That would drive me crazy.

Back