Unlimited LTE version iPhone 5 question

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
If I buy a unsubsidized iPhone 5 from Apple, then bring it in to a Verizon store and tell them to activate this phone, I should not lose my Unlimited LTE as i wont be touching my contract. Is this correct? Want to replace my galaxy Nexus.

from everything I have read that is correct
but I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to make that switch

Assuming they will both use a micro-SIM, you shouldn't have to take it to the Verizon store. You should be just be able to swap the SIM cards and be good to go. I'm not sure if the iP5 will be using a micro SIM though, I heard rumors before the announcement that they were moving to a new SIM standard on the iP5, but I didn't see anything about them implementing it yesterday.

But regardless, yes, if you switch phones without re-newing the contract, then they have to let you keep unlimited data until the contract expires. After that though, they're free to move you to their craptastic shared data plans. I'm not sure if they would, but they wouldn't be contractually obligated to keep you on the same plan at that point.

Can you buy the cdma varient from apple unlocked? I thought they only sold the gsm one.

If I buy a unsubsidized iPhone 5 from Apple, then bring it in to a Verizon store and tell them to activate this phone, I should not lose my Unlimited LTE as i wont be touching my contract. Is this correct? Want to replace my galaxy Nexus.

You will probably have to buy the phone off contract from Verizon themselves due to the new nano-SIM, but yes buying off contract would allow you to keep unlimited data.

they switched to nano-SIM

Of course they did. They can't use the same standard as everyone else! As if the micro-SIM wasn't small enough :rolleyes:.

Don't forget to allot another $30-$40 for your port adapter so you can use all your old cables/accessories, OP! ;)

Actually, the nano-SIM will be the new standard, BUT... Of course Apple developed their OWN nano-sim standard, which is incompatible with what everyone else has been trying to standardize. It's never easy once Apple gets involved.

Actually, the nano-SIM will be the new standard, BUT... Of course Apple developed their OWN nano-sim standard, which is incompatible with what everyone else has been trying to standardize. It's never easy once Apple gets involved.

Actually's Apple's design became the standard

Of course they did. They can't use the same standard as everyone else! As if the micro-SIM wasn't small enough :rolleyes:.

Don't forget to allot another $30-$40 for your port adapter so you can use all your old cables/accessories, OP! ;)

Thats fine with me, I dont have accessories.

What if I were to do the same thing as the OP, but I currently don't have 4G (using a 4s now). Would my unlimited data plan remain untouched?

What if I were to do the same thing as the OP, but I currently don't have 4G (using a 4s now). Would my unlimited data plan remain untouched?

Yes. It doesn't matter what area you're in. If you buy your phone off-contract, then nothing changes on your plan.

Thats fine with me, I dont have accessories.

I have 2 "accessories". Well I suppose it's more like the iPhone is an acessory to two items I have. A car...it plugs in via standard USB so everything seems fine. A home theater receiver also with USB. The dock port is silly. The lightning port is somewhat less silly. I still don't think I'll be buying any accessories that use a proprietary port that can change and only work with one PMP brand.

That said I did order an iPhone 5 via the Verizion business site as an upgrade at the contract price. One of the line items is email and data EVDO unlimited $0 or something worded similarly. Unsure if that means LTE also, but there appears to be some kind of unlimited data still attached to it.

Back