Unlimited Budget

hacked

n00b
I'm building a computer on a unlimited budget I have most of the parts but I don't have water cooling yet
-What is the best water cooling I can get for my system?

So far what I have is...
-Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
-(2x) EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Compatible w/Core i7 Modular Active PFC Power Supply
-(2x) Intel Xeon X5670 Westmere 2.93GHz LGA 1366 95W Six-Core Server Processor Model BX80614X5670
-(2x) Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2XXX 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM
-(2x) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL
-EVGA Classified Super Record 2 (SR-2) Motherboard

Last edited:
XSPC 5.25in Reservoir --> (EK-D5 Dual Top & 2x MCP655) --> Black Ice GTX 240 Radiator --> EK-FC480 --> EK-FC480 --> Black Ice GTX 360 Radiator --> Swiftech Apogee XT --> Swiftech Apogee XT --> EK SR-2 block--> XSPC 5.25in Reservoir

Use push pull Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM fans on both rads. The 360 goes at the top of the case and the 240 goes in front of the PSU. Get nice bitspower 1/2" barbs and 1/2" tubing in the color of your choice with distilled water and put some clamps on them just for security. No real modding involved and it will be pretty cool. For a quiet system use 1150 RPM Gentle Typhoon's.

Add a fill line to the intake on the res.

You'll have to call up EK to find out about SR-2 availability. I'm sure for a couple hundred he'd get a block for you made sooner than latter.

There's a HydroCopper GTX480 also, but it's not currently available. If you're going into it planning to watercool them, this might be an easy way to save some work and get single-slot brackets with the cards too.

Alright, price doesn't matter, but space will. The 800 can hold a 120x3 radiator and a 120x2 radiator, right? The more radiator you have going the better.
Some things I'd recommend:
Pump - Iwaki RD 30. It's the most powerful, albeit the most expensive, pump out there. Alternately, 3 laing dcc 3.25's with the triple top by xspc is also extemely powerful and easier to find (also a little more quite).
Blocks - i'm not sure you'll find a full cover motherboard block - you'll have to do it piecemeal. EK and mips both make parts for the classified board that's likely to fit. As for the CPU block - I'd go EK supreme HF because it has less restriction then the apogee xt and better performance. Want to go uber awesome - get that sucker chrome fitted at real red raider plating (http://www.realredraider.com/)
Fittings - for unlimited cash, I'd go bitspower, but matt black compression fittings because they look so good. 1/2 size with 3/4 OD:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bimabl7cofif1.html
and for angles (you'll have to use at least one on the each cpu block)
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bimablduro90.html

The best (and really only) memory blocks to consider are the mips:
http://www.mips-computer.com/index....SProductline_RAMCooler_CopperBrassClassic.htm

You'll need the inserts for the other sticks of ram, it comes with 3.

I also like the nickel plated blocks by EK for the femri blocks, but since there hasn't been a comparison I've seen yet, it's hard to make a definite call. The nickel plated blocks by ek made tops for the 5870's, so likely will hold the record with the femri's as well.

Radiators:
That'll depend on how load you want it. After you pick out the best fans for the loudless level you want, take a look at this review:
http://www.skinneelabs.com/triplesv2.html
and pick out the radiator that performs best at the rpm you are looking to use. The more radiator you have, the better when you are going as far as you are. In fact, if you end up with an issue in your cooling, that's the likely source. Push and pull work best, push works better then pull, and a shroud is always better then not having one.

Reservoir - doesn't really matter - they all basically work the same. A bay res is pretty easy to work with.

Tubing - http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/tysiantu1id3.html
If you like this color, this'll keep your system fairly clean.

I agree with zink above that distilled water is the best fluid. A silver kill coil or two will help prevent bio contamination of the loop.

- EK supreme HF CPU blocks + a good thermal compound

- Bitspower for barbs or compression fittings. I prefer barbs because they flow very slightly better and because I trust my own tubing-clamps more, but compression fittings still work and look nicer.

- Tygon r3400 for black tubing, and, according to RealRedRaider on this forum, Tygon B-44-4x for clear tubing. 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD.

- Gentle Typhoon AP-15 1850RPM fans are my favorite. They're great at 9-10v (best noise/performance compromise for this particular fan).

- Radiators: - XSPC RX (below 1200 rpm fans), thermochill (above 1200 rpm). There are many other options...

- Push vs Pull: http://martin.skinneelabs.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html - Pull is better at low RPM, Push is better at high-RPM, a shroud is always better than no shroud, and push-pull + shrouds is best.

- Dual DDC 3.2 (swiftech mcp355) or 3.25 (koolance pmp-400 = 3.25; at performance-pcs) pumps provide redundancy and HUGE pumping power. Any more and you've reached diminishing returns, whilst adding additional heat to the loop. Two of these can be somewhat noisy, but they can be safely voltage-controlled down to 10v I believe (don't go lower than 9). You don't even NEED dual pumps, however. Each pump will add more heat to the loop, so the best reason to use dual pumps in your situation is for REDUNDANCY (completely valid reason considering the cost of your setup).

- DDC 3.25 + EK X-top rev.2 (if you go with a single pump) or EK reservoir top.

- Some people claim that Laing D5 pumps are more reliable than Laing DDC pumps. They're also slightly less noisy, but they're larger. Ek makes a good aftermarket top for D5 pumps. D5's have stepped variable control built-in (settings 1-5).

- That Iwaki pump is great, and most efficient at 12-18v (probably 14-16v, I'd have to look it up). There's no reason to run it at 24v - Dual DDC pumps would be the better option in that case. I think I'd take dual DDC pumps anyway, however.

- If you want a separate reservoir, then both EK and "iandh" are good (at Sidewinder). There are other options as well.

- Put a silver "kill-coil" in the reservoir to keep the loop clean. Distilled water.

- Sunbeam rheobus extreme fan controller (handles (6x) 30w per channel; should be able to voltage-control DDC pumps (1 per channel)). Because each channel can handle 30w, each channel can then control entire 'zones' of fans connected in parallel.

- GTX 480 blocks: EK makes a good full-cover block. Reviews are still coming in on these.

- I probably wouldn't watercool the motherboard or ram. It adds complexity and cost, reduces flow-rate, and probably won't make any positive difference in this situation (it'd be fine in a dual-loop system with a huge radiator buffer to spare, but you don't have the room).

------------------------------------------------

The main problem here is that you have 2 CPUs and 2 hotter than hell GPUs... and apparently only the space to fit a 120x3 and 120x2 radiator? With a push-pull fan setup, it can work, but it won't be all that quiet.

I wish you had more space. If you can manage it, then your best upgrade is an additional radiator.

Last edited:
I think some water blocks for the motherboard would be useful, that motherboard has an active chipset heatsink that would be good to cool and you might as well cool the VRM's. Assuming unlimited budget.

-(2x) Intel Xeon X5670 Westmere 2.93GHz LGA 1366 95W Six-Core Server Processor Model BX80614X5670

That's the biggest waste of money ever. I could build a computer just as fast as that for the cost one of those cpus and and a few hundred more. That's all I will say.

That's the biggest waste of money ever. I could build a computer just as fast as that for the cost one of those cpus and and a few hundred more. That's all I will say.
I agree. Something tells me this isn't a real world project and this is all fantasy based. Who is going to spend $10,000 on a computer when you can get the same performance for 20% of the cost? This looks like a gaming build and there is no game that will come out in the foreseeable future that will come close to utilizing all those CPU cores.

I could be wrong and this could be a legitimate post from a guy with way too much money and way too little knowledge of computer components. I would love to see pics of the project when completed if I'm wrong.

obviously some people can't afford things and like to talk with out knowing what its for
aside of that i will post pictures I'm just waiting on the evga dual socket motherboard to come out to purchase everything at once

obviously some people can't afford things and like to talk with out knowing what its for
aside of that i will post pictures I'm just waiting on the evga dual socket motherboard to come out to purchase everything at once
Your reaction only furthers my belief that your proposed build is fantasy based. Its not a matter of I can't afford to build a $10,000 pc, its a matter of why would I build one when a $2,000 PC offers the same performance in all but the most specialized of tasks?

I patiently await your pictures.

Your reaction only furthers my belief that your proposed build is fantasy based. Its not a matter of I can't afford to build a $10,000 pc, its a matter of why would I build one when a $2,000 PC offers the same performance in all but the most specialized of tasks?

I patiently await your pictures.

+1

Dual hexa-cores? Do most games out even utilize all 6 cores in a single hexa-core proc? I don't think so, and even still, most games are GPU bound rather than CPU bound. A comp like that is more for bragging rights (showing off your wallet and e-penis, etc) than anything.

At the end of the day, it's your money and you're free to do whatever you like, but there's a difference between what can be afforded and what's practical for the situation...

I know hacked personally and I will be the one helping him in building this project.

if all does go through, which I'm assuming it will, I'll post a worklog or help him out with posting it himself.

He has been given this budget for this build and it is not coming from his pocket, that's why he's taking advantage of it.

Dual hexa-cores? Do most games out even utilize all 6 cores in a single hexa-core proc? I don't think so, and even still, most games are GPU bound rather than CPU bound. A comp like that is more for bragging rights (showing off your wallet and e-penis, etc) than anything.

If I see another post like this I'm going to puke.

In my previous post I noted that this system is a lot of heat for the two radiators that can be fitted into the 800D case. Thus unless you can fit an additional radiator, consider that:

Another option is to aircool the processors - use a Venomous-X, megahalems, or Armageddon + dual scythe GT AP-15 fans. If you can space the fans 5-10mm from the heatsink, then even better (for noise especially).

The radiators should then be able to handle the GPUs.

Just a thought... I think the CPU temps would be comparable under sustained load, and obviously the GPU temps will be much better. This can allow you to cool the motherboard as well, but it's still not worthwhile.

Edit: But I DO want to know... what is the purpose of this Monster PC?

In my previous post I noted that this system is a lot of heat for the two radiators that can be fitted into the 800D case. Thus unless you can fit an additional radiator, consider that:

Another option is to aircool the processors - use a Venomous-X, megahalems, or Armageddon + dual scythe GT AP-15 fans. If you can space the fans 5-10mm from the heatsink, then even better (for noise especially).

The radiators should then be able to handle the GPUs.

Just a thought... I think the CPU temps would be comparable under sustained load, and obviously the GPU temps will be much better. This can allow you to cool the motherboard as well, but it's still not worthwhile.

Edit: But I DO want to know... what is the purpose of this Monster PC?

my guess is its a rendering machine or one bad ass folding rig for F@H.. definitely want to see pictures and work log on this beast.. though the rate EVGA is going with the SR-2 it will probably be a couple more months til you see one on the market.. the board should of been released the first of this month..

If price doesn't matter why watercool? Why not go phase change? Or if you like, just pay Tom Cruise or David Hasslehoff to come blow on your Air Cooled TRUE heatsink.

For the hell of it here is my recommendation.

Custom diamond waterblocks for CPUs and GPUs ~ $1,000,000
Personal in home heat tower normally used for military grade data centers ~ $ 2.3 Billion
Tygon Tubing leading to heat tower inlet ~ $20
Bribes to random people off the street to come into your house and say "man that is a badass system, you in no way wasted your money" ~ $1,000,000 (Tom Cruise), ~$50 (bum off the street), ~$10 (Carrot top) well, that or just offer him some roids...

I can't wait to see what you end up with...

Hey guys, can we not be personable here? I mean, sure it seems odd to go with an "unlimited budget", but if that's what makes him happy, right? I think the question at hand was how to make the best possible water cooling system without any limitation on what we recommend. I think it was mostly answered, though I think Archmage and I ran to the same issue of case size.
Hacked, I understand you already bought the case, but 1) is that case definitive to your build and/or 2)is it possible to put more then a 120x3 and 120x2 radiator in that case. Since we don't have the case and components in front of us, it would be difficult for someone else to know what will fit in that case. The two radiator solution was something I seen from two other builds, so I expected them to fit, but if you can fit more, you'll get much more benefit.

Last edited:
More like Pamela Anderson or Jessica Alba.

Hey, if he want's David Hasslehoff, by GOD, let him have David Hasslehoff!!! Hell, with his money he could pay to have "The Hoff" to shave his chest hair and spin that hair into soundproofing material! LET THE MAN HAVE HIS DREAMS!!! :D

Hey guys, can we not be personable here? I mean, sure it seems odd to go with an "unlimited budget", but if that's what makes him happy, right? I think the question at hand was how to make the best possible water cooling system without any limitation on what we recommend. I think it was mostly answered, though I think Archmage and I ran to the same issue of case size.

You are right, but I just couldn't resist. It's Wednesday and I am bored at work...

In any case, its all in good fun.

If it's a gaming machine, I'd throw in at least 1 more 480 in Tri-SLI and one for PhyX (why the hell not right?)

he hasnt order anything yet, so all parts including the case are still out in the air.

ive recommended to him that we go with a single slot motherboard (evga is lagging it!), and just go with a gulftown, but ultimately the choice is up to him.

my guess is its a rendering machine or one bad ass folding rig for F@H.. definitely want to see pictures and work log on this beast.. though the rate EVGA is going with the SR-2 it will probably be a couple more months til you see one on the market.. the board should of been released the first of this month..

You want a badass GPU folding machine for when we finally get the GPU3 clinet for the Fermis? Check this out!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3693/...their-gpu-servers-to-include-fermilevel-tesla

In terms of pricing, think a few thousand dollars per Tesla GPU, $1000 for two Xeon 5520s and cooling, $2000 for the power supply, 4U tower, and general cooling, $1000 for the motherboard, and $500-$20000 for how much RAM you would like. Coming soon to a Supermicro approved reseller near you (if you can afford it)!

The reaction of people here ... some of you people need a punch in the face.

1+infinity) It's none of any of your/our fckin' business what this thing does or what's funding this. Please just go to Hollywood or [insert richass area code] and spend your time there gawking.

The reaction of people here ... some of you people need a punch in the face.

1+infinity) It's none of any of your/our fckin' business what this thing does or what's funding this. Please just go to Hollywood or [insert richass area code] and spend your time there gawking.

I surely do need a punch in the face! Hows about you tear yourself away from that fifth serving of pie, get your 850 lbs ass out of that chair and come across the internet and do it yourself?

You talk so big and strong... it makes me anxious to hear what crap you will type next. Tell us how the world is Mr. MAN... ohhh yeah daddy like!!!

Make sure to put some dihydrogen oxide in the loop for better heat transfer.

unlimited budget is simple.

Case - murdermod.com either buy a tj07 and put it together yourself or have charlie do it for you.

Watercooling equipment...

Any good 120.3 and 120.2 rad in the bottom with inadh res any 2 mcp335 pumps EK blocks for your parts and primochill lrt tubing also bits power fittings.

Drop me a pm if you need any more help.

Why doesnt op consider just ordering a special custom built case according to his specs.

800D is a bit too bland and average for such a build. Not to mention small.

Back