Unknown High cpu usage?

TBJ

Gawd
Just idling my CPU usage is hovering between 50 and 80%, opening task manager doesn't show which process is using that much. there are a few little programs such as Google sidebar using around 4%. Is there a reliable way to figure out what is using so much CPU?

Last edited:
Yes. I am using home edition sp3 on winxp, so I am the admin.

You would need to download a processd analyzer app, you can then view all running processes, some willl allow you to look into the process to see what threads are running inside is such as svchost from there if you can find hte file with the high cpu usage than just go from there.

also what security software are you using? if your PC is sitting idle some AV's wil kick in a background process and start scanning.

My first guess would be you have been infected by some spyware/virus if its not readily showing up in your process explorer

I'm leaning towards ATI's CCC because before I intalled this card and latest drivers from amd, I didn't ahve this problem. Also doing some research with google other users are experiencing this issue with Audio HDMI.

OK, sort of followed dj LiTh's advice, went into device properties and uninstalled the HDMI in sound and video devices, taht didn't help so "show hidden devices" tab, and there was another one called Microsoft UAA bus driver for High Def. Audio (not used, I use a usb soundcard and onboard is disabled in bios) which I disabled. CPU usage went from @ 50% to nothing as soon as it was disabled. I was ready to uninstall my vid card drivers, glad I didn't.

DAMN, problem came back, the "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio" is enabled again after turning on the computer tonight, would I be able to uninstall without any repercussions as disabling isn't doing anything permanent?

Back