University Edition of Office 365 Offered Via Subscription

Too be fair, that's just you and others making up whatever you want to rather than actually reading the text comprehending what I and others say. I've been working in the business IT world for 20 years now, mostly in the financial industry. Word, Office, Outlook and PowerPoint are simply the defacto standards in the business world. And it wasn't due to any supposed sales pitch of mine. Some of you guys have a difficult time with reality. :confused:

As I said, dismissive.

They'll change the EULA and the next Office "update" will change you from Office 2010 to Office 365 for educational licensees, which is well within their rights to do. They did the same thing with institutional Office 2010 to Office Professional Plus 2010. Guess what, you'll get it whether you like it or not and if your usage is outside of the new EULA you're bricked, unless you use torrented software activation bypassers.

I had an old ed license Word copy that got bricked by that. Pissed me off, for sure. But oh well.
I'd imagine so. That'd would annoy me too, but any of the advanced features I use in Office I use solely for research/academic purposes. Whenever I'm out of the academic arena and can no longer get a "free license," I'll no longer need those features and will just move full-time to a free word processing program like Google Docs.
As I said, dismissive.
When you come up with a point that isn't some inane paranoid drivel, he probably won't be. Open Office, Google Docs, any many other "alternatives" are not viable in the business and research arenas. MS Office's feature set isn't close to being rivaled by anything else out there.

When you come up with a point that isn't some inane paranoid drivel, he probably won't be. Open Office, Google Docs, any many other "alternatives" are not viable in the business and research arenas. MS Office's feature set isn't close to being rivaled by anything else out there.

I find LibreOffice to be perfectly viable. I use it on a daily basis and we have also deployed it on a number of computers.

The most valuable tech company in the world is Apple. What do they use? iWorks?
The second most valuable tech company is Google. What do they use? Google Docs?
IBM and Oracle are leaders in computer research? What do they use? OpenOffice?
Hasn't it already been mentioned that LaTeX is popular for serious academic research?

The most valuable tech company in the world is Apple. What do they use? iWorks?
The second most valuable tech company is Google. What do they use? Google Docs?
IBM and Oracle are leaders in computer research? What do they use? OpenOffice?
Hasn't it already been mentioned that LaTeX is popular for serious academic research?

And what does market a companies market value have to do with how widely deployed or capable their products are?

Who said they were viable? I use LibreOffice and OpenOffice, but just for personal stuff that can exist inside a little bubble on my own computers (though I've been falling more and more on MS Works 8.5 since I do a lot of creative writing on a Windows 98 PC). I also have a few versions of Microsoft Office (including 365) that are used when necessary. Google Docs is a positively pointless alternative and when compared to the next nearest competing product 365, it's kinda lame in features and capabilities.

As for heatless, he's insane and pretty funny because of the obesssion. I don't think anyone except him takes him seriously.

As for heatless, he's insane and pretty funny because of the obesssion. I don't think anyone except him takes him seriously.

I am insane for pointing out that Office is the defacto standard in business for office automation? And there you go again with uninformed opinions and personal attacks and not even addressing the topic of the thread. That's not particularly sane either. ;)

Guess what? You go out into the real professional world-you use MS Office. That is how it is. OpenOffice, has lots of problems, not the least of which being the spell/grammar check is downright primitive-a salient flaw considering how badly most undergraduate students write. Hell, OpenOffice isn't even the same anymore and has been forked as Oracle took over; to support OO or LibreOffice? Given that syllabi and assignments can be very format heavy, Office is the easy winner. Last I checked, the formatting abilities in Writer were almost as lacking as the spell/grammar check.

Most students are warned to blow $600+ on textbooks each semester of undergrad...what is $100 for four years in comparison? It is a professional tool. Hell I don't like spending the money either, but it is the tool of the trade.

You go to photography school or graphics design school, guess what you'll use Photoshop. Not GIMP. Photoshop. Office is to printed documents what Adobe CS is to graphics. Photoshop or Adobe CS cost FAR more than Office.
This, and to add to it, if you need dedicated professional support the open-source community is a POS in quality and reliability. For business, this would be too much of a liability and costy solution to support.

Back