Universe@home

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
I will be happy to get some more forces with Linux, as more test is required and as you can see - I do more often changes in it's app.
http://universeathometest.info/universe/forum_thread.php?id=19

Universe

teamdaily.php

Universe Test

teamdaily.php

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to admit though after reading that entire thread I am a little confused as to whether the linux core is still optimized or not. Oh well, no harm in running it for a little while.

Looks like this is now the test project, while the actual project has gone live on a new server. How will this impact FB?

From the project's main page:

Main (production) server started
I would like to announce that production server for our project is officially started. To join to main project create account at:

http://universeathome.pl/universe

or use BOINC Manager to join.
In a cause of problem in manager, please "reset" the project in manager (this will update project names in manager).

This server will stay live for testing new applications. 21 Feb 2015, 11:22:07 UTC

Update: I have attached to the main project and got new work right away. New WU's are named "Universe X-ray sources."

Last edited:
And it appears that the test project is represented at FB. I'm assuming they will add the live project once it has 1 million points distributed but someone may need to let them know about it.

skgiven posted this over at WUProp and I thought it might be helpful to someone else like me who has data caps on their internet.

For anyone on a capped Internet contract, I just noticed a Universe WU upload size of ~48MBytes.
With two 8-thread systems attached I would upload around 104/day (about 3h 15min runtime each) which works out at ~5GBytes upload per day or 150GB/month.
To prevent your bandwidth being squeezed by ISP's, you can configure Boinc to only upload/download at certain times of the day. Unfortunately that might cause issues with this project (where you only get 1 WU every 6h). Possibly another example of the need for individualized project configuration (or per device configuration as WUProp is NCI).
People might be able to manage the problem by mixing Universe with other projects with small return file sizes and changing their project weightings to reduce Universe throughput so that it doesn't interfere with their ISP imposed Cap.

For anyone on a capped Internet con...doesn't interfere with their ISP imposed Cap.

BOINCStats now has Universe listed along with the test site.

I wasn't yet a member at the FB forums, so I have joined but am now waiting on a response from an admin to activate my account. Once I am able to post there, I will post a question to them about this.

I finally had my account activated today and posed the question about U@H there. We shall see what they say.

Based on the response I received at FB, it appears the Universe@Home project will be added to FB on 4/1.

Due to the costs at the end of the month I plan to close the test server.
From next month tested applications will be conducted on the main project server, tested applications will be properly marked and available only for users who select the appropriate option in their account setting.

I thank all the volunteers for their participation in the project, as well as forbearance with which they treated the trial versions of the application.
Particularly noteworthy is the fact that the first publication of the project was created thanks to your work on this server.

You have done a great job :)

http://universeathometest.info/universe/forum_thread.php?id=61#449

The test site has been pulled from BOINCStats as the main project has now been shut down. I have removed it from the All Inclusive DC Project list.

Front page news item

Android application
Thanks to the user matszpk we can start Today testing Android version of our application.

Application will be available soon but only for users who mark "Test application" in their options. 29 Oct 2015,

A new application called Black Hole Database (BHDB) has just being introduced for initial testing.

I tried 4 WUs last night and all failed due to some disk limit error. Will try again in the next few days.

There is a new work batch with "238" in the WU file name that will take about 3 times longer to crunch compare to the old one with "263". The credit for the new task batch is the same as before i.e. 666.67 pts.

It seems that there are quite a number of rigs that are currently bunkering Universe with the old tasks. Just hoping that the next FB project is not Universe. I've to pray hard.....:angelic:

Back