Uninstall windows 10 (from upgraded windows 7) with option to reinstall later?

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
If you wanted to uninstall Windows 10 from a computer and use another os but still have the option to reinstall windows 10 at a later date, what do you need to do before uninstalling to retrieve the cd key etc. (where the windows 10 install was an upgraded windows 7 retail). What's the simplest way?

tie it to a ms account. simplest way I know. oh and you can still use w7 keys during w10 setup so theres that too.

So if I didn't bother with the account and wanted to reinstall it on the same pc with the same motherboard, cpu and gpu what would I have to do, what about retrieving the cd key first?

So could I reinstall from the windows 10 iso with the windows 7 retail cd key without retrieving any key from the old installation?

oem system? if the key isn't on the case it should in the uefi and it should get activated automatically after a reinstall, just skip the key part during setup.
also, you cant retrieve a key from an upgrade from within windows as they are all, as in ALL upgraded systems everywhere, the same key and don't work for a new setup.

Not oem, retail windows 7 install then upgrade to windows 10.
But what if trying to reinstall windows 10 with no cd key it didn't work automatically, then what, reinstall windows 7 retail and then upgrade again? Would that always work with the old cd key, or could there be no way to reinstall if it's not automatic.

Last edited:
well its its a retail key then you should have it. right now since you upgraded there is no way to retrieve it. when you upgrade from w7 to w10 the keys get changed to a generic "universal" key that cant be used during setup. right now you can still use a w7 key and enter it during w10 setup and it will activate ones w10 setup is finished. BUT no one knows when that will stop, it was supposed t have ended several times already. its possible that if/when they do that then you will need to buy a new key. if you install w10 without a key it will run fine but complain about activation. some people have had it reactive "magically" without entering anything or creating a ms account. I think that ms might be tying keys to mobos or something in the servers. so honestly its hard to say how long you have to use that key as an upgrade but you should have at least a couple/few weeks to try it out.

I have two PC, non OEM version, both seem to have windows 10 ties to MS account, as soon as you login to your MS email account, it should be ok, when installing windows, just select activate late when online, no need for any key to be inserted.

If you wanted to uninstall Windows 10 from a computer and use another os but still have the option to reinstall windows 10 at a later date, what do you need to do before uninstalling to retrieve the cd key etc. (where the windows 10 install was an upgraded windows 7 retail). What's the simplest way?
You don't need to do anything. Windows 10 activation will be saved as a digital license in Microsoft's cloud. Once you reinstall 10, just skip entering the product key and the system will activate. Of course, if you change your motherboard it won't work anymore.

Back