Unifi UAP Pro slow speeds

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4 & [H]DCOTY x1
Having an issue with my UAP Pro, im only getting ~1/2 the speeds I should. Network transfer from my server to my Mac Book Air (As well as a desktop with a Intel 7260AC Wifi card) are right around ~10MB/s, to my understanding I should be able to get ~18-20MB/s. Issue is not on the wired network, machines connected via hardwire only are getting ~120 MB/s from the server on the same file.

My setup:

Modem - Arris 1762G (I have a Surfboard SB6141 on the way, not an issue in this though)
Router - Unifi USG
Switch - 250w Unifi 24port POE Switch
AP - Unifi UAP Pro

What i have tried:
- Every setting imaginable on the wifi spectrum, 5 GHz only, 2.4 Only, HT20, HT40, forcing WPA2 only. Any ideas on it being a weird setting let me know.

- Both a UTP and STP Cable
- Tested cables to know they did true gbe speeds from desktop to server

- With and without the POE injector
- when using with, POE on the switch was disabled for the port.

This is all being run on controller version 4.6.6. Initially on a Windows 10 host, migrated to my server today (Server 2012 R2 is the host os for the controller). Issue persists.

To add, I have the issue even with 2' from the AP with a clear line of sight, same speeds (Closer to sub 9 MB/s) when the UAP is in a closet with a single drywall wall inbetween the Macbook Air and the UAP.

Am I crazy to think I should get more than 10/100 speeds out of a UAP that has a gigabit link (As confirmed by onboard indicator LED's, and in the controller).

Im at the end fo my knowledge for networking, any ideas?

Thanks

Also: I have checked banks, I am in the empty bands (5GHz actually has no one else on it but my AP and my mac book)

Port is giving 10/100/1000, indicated by both indicator lights on the AP and switch, along with the Unifi controller says 10/100/1000 speed.

Does it say Full Duplex under the Uplink details in the controller software for that AP? Are you running TKIP for WPA2?

Full duplex I think yes (FDX?)

For TKIP, no, should I try this?

Any other SS's that may help?

Im hoping to pickup a AC one here shortly to add to the range etc (or to sell the current one to my dad to get AC here), but would like to see if it is hardware or not causing the issue.

Have you rebooted the AP, Switch? I have the same AP connected to a Cisco 3750G poe switch and I definitely get full speed on it. Are you using multiple subnets or NAT between the wifi network and the server?

I just did a sustained large file transfer of a 1.45GB file and it averaged at 18MB/s across my house with 2 walls in the way.

edit---Don't get the AC line yet. Its buggy as hell right now.

Last edited:
Agree on the no to the AC, it works but it can be buggy and is not very tolerant of issues. That said I have pulled impressive speeds through it on the 5ghz band, though the range is so-so. (same experience with many 5ghz APs).

As far as the Pro, try testing with the macbook not connected to the pro. I have seen macbooks do some weird things on wireless, including not playing well with 40mhz band widths and having odd beacon intervals.

Have you rebooted the AP, Switch? I have the same AP connected to a Cisco 3750G poe switch and I definitely get full speed on it. Are you using multiple subnets or NAT between the wifi network and the server?

I just did a sustained large file transfer of a 1.45GB file and it averaged at 18MB/s across my house with 2 walls in the way.

edit---Don't get the AC line yet. Its buggy as hell right now.

This is as of now an out of the box setup from the standard for Unifi. I setup the wireless network in the settings area, and adopted the AP which then took on the network. No seperate sub-nets were configured. my network is:

Modem -> Unifi USG -> Switch -> (All clients, server is to here, as is the AP, all served on the same switch)

Agree on the no to the AC, it works but it can be buggy and is not very tolerant of issues. That said I have pulled impressive speeds through it on the 5ghz band, though the range is so-so. (same experience with many 5ghz APs).

As far as the Pro, try testing with the macbook not connected to the pro. I have seen macbooks do some weird things on wireless, including not playing well with 40mhz band widths and having odd beacon intervals.

My house is not very big (~800 sqft foot print), and I do have some devices that will use AC, which is why I was looking at it. Any reason to not pick it up and play with it and sell one or the other to my folks who want another Unifi Pro AP? (Beside the obvious lack of speed issue atm ...) Im almost wondering if i have faulty hardware though?

As for w/o the Macbook, ill be able to with my cousin here (My only computer that does wireless is my MBA).

I was thinking of resetting the AP to stock and re-adopting, wonder if this may fix some things?

Note: As it stands there are two networks on the AP, my personal network and a guest one. If that makes a difference, guest network has no users, at the last time of testing I had probably ~4 devices on the personal network with only 2 actually pulling anything (SD Stream to the roku from server, and speed testing with the MBA).

Update:

Got home from work and kicked all devices off but the mac book air. Locked it to HT 40, 5 GHz, checked to make sure it was on an empty channel (No 5 GHz in my area). Still only peaked at 10.9 MB/s, sustain of ~9 MB/s.

Any ideas?

I plan to have an AC here soon, play with that and sell the Pro. Or RMA it (Can it possibly be bad hardware?). The AC speeds are what will be very nice for some things I do and have been looking for one.

As for the issues with the AC, is it just the hand off thing (I will only have one WAP at the end of the day)?

On a good 11n network you get about 10-12mbyte/s tops so your numbers looks reasonable and I agree with the others not going 11ac if you care about reliability and stability.
My TP-Link TL-WDR3600 (which uses slightly newer Atheros hardware compared to your AP) running OpenWRT (trunk) does ~10mbyte/s over SMB/Samba around the house using 5Ghz.
//Danne

Last edited:
Only possible if you have a 3TR3 setup, most only have 2TR2 at best.
//Danne

On a good 11n network you get about 10-12mbyte/s tops so your numbers looks reasonable and I agree with the others not going 11ac if you care about reliability and stability.
My TP-Link TL-WDR3600 (which uses slightly newer Atheros hardware compared to your AP) running OpenWRT (trunk) does ~10mbyte/s over SMB/Samba around the house using 5Ghz.
//Danne

I easily hit 23MB/s with a 2x2 Intel card and a 3x3 AP on 5GHz so it is doable.

What you're reporting sounds highly inaccurate unfortunately, there isn't a snowball chance in hell that you're getting 23Mbyte/s raw transfer rates, let alone SMB/Samba on a 11n network using a 2x2 WLAN card.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/113-5-ghz-dn-c
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/114-5-ghz-up-c
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/116-5-ghz-updn-c
Possibly if you add both up/down although I assume W.Feather is talking about about direction only.
//Danne

Back