Unifi AP - Place On Desktop

rosco

Gawd
I generally like the Unifi AP product. They are meant to be ceiling mounted though. I have times where I want to just place the AP on a desktop, or shelf etc. Basically, I'm replacing a all in one router/AP with a router and a Unifi AP.

So, does a Unifi AP still have decent coverage if you were to just lay it on a desktop? Just wondering if you guys have tried that and if so, what kind of results you were able to achieve.

The radiation pattern is semi-hemispherical with most of the energy being radiated forwards and out the viewable face.

In other words if you place it on a desk face up. It should works fine....on that floor and upstairs but not downstairs.

You'll also have a slightly better signal upstairs than on the floor you have the AP, but not by much.

If this is at home or in the same office, you'll be fine. If this for a wide usage area, best to mount it on the ceiling.

I used one at home sitting on the floor with no issues.

use the outdoor ap if you need to put it on a wall or shelf in a professional environment.
For home use where you have more options for placement you can try different positions with the ceiling mounted ones.
A friend on mine has his mounted in the ceiling of the basement facing up and gets full coverage on the first and second floor.
The he has another facing down for the basement for full coverage.

Back