Unifi 802.11ac AP's

My first AC just died. It will only randomly power on. It was running incredibly hot too. I'm going to contact support, but I bet I will get the old "Well, let's RMA it" response.

How long were your RMA's taking? My 1st .11AC unit has been received for 2 weeks now w/o a response to any of my requests for status.

About two weeks.

Just a heads up- as I discovered today- ALWAYS READ THE MANUAL.
The new AC line requires POE+ @22watts. My older 2520 HP switches did not have enough power to run the AP's. I did have one fail, and it may have been due to under-powering it- I have no idea. My options are spend $3k in 2920-POE+ switches, or just use the injectors. I opted for the second, but then one of my injectors failed. I learned some time ago with these low end devices to always order a spare with the money saved, and it paid off again today.

Nope. As it turned out, it just would not power on if you used the following sequence:
Plug in LAN to POE Injector and plug POE in to AP.

It will only boot if you plug in the POE first and leave the LAN disconnected until the AP boots. We tested this with two others. No idea why it does this. I am filing a bug with Ubiquiti.

Spyder, do you have problems with Apple devices (if you use any) with the AC units ? Its kind of unrelated to the current generation of AC dying, but some of my sites complaints about disconnections with the Unifi Pro and I was wondering if switching to the AC would solve this !

Spyder, do you have problems with Apple devices (if you use any) with the AC units ? Its kind of unrelated to the current generation of AC dying, but some of my sites complaints about disconnections with the Unifi Pro and I was wondering if switching to the AC would solve this !
I had issues with Apple devices with UniFi Ap's when upgraded to any firmware higher than 3.0

Finally got my AC test unit back from RMA. Everything is fine, but I experienced a similar issue with iOS devices and a few different versions of 3. Backed off to 2.4.4 and it's stable.

Finally got my AC test unit back from RMA. Everything is fine, but I experienced a similar issue with iOS devices and a few different versions of 3. Backed off to 2.4.4 and it's stable.

Let us know if yours are emitting a whining sound when hooked with with more than 3m of cable,

3m of cable? Is that a common thing? Haven't heard that yet. So far my test unit has only been on a 6' cable off the lab switch. I'll try a long cable and letcha know.

3m of cable? Is that a common thing? Haven't heard that yet. So far my test unit has only been on a 6' cable off the lab switch. I'll try a long cable and letcha know.

Yes, it seems that powering the unit over 6m or more of cable produces the AP to whine when there is traffic. I have three UniFi-LR APs (Note it is affecting all AP versions) that exhibit the problem, however mine are in my attic so I can't hear the whine, however I was able to reproduce on my bench. The problem stems from Ubiquity using cheap power supply components in the AP that don't filter out the noise when the PSU provides more power. I love Ubiquity products, but their current noisy APs are not something that I can recommend to anyone until Ubiquity comes up with with a fix.

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/Unifi-AP-Noise/m-p/297329#U297329

Last edited:

If you search, I had exactly that problem. I ended up moving to the AC units and it fixed it. I spent months on and off with tech support with no resolution outside of "just RMA it". Outside of the power issues, the AC units have been solid since install.

About two weeks.

The new AC line requires POE+ @22watts. My older 2520 HP switches did not have enough power to run the AP's. I did have one fail, and it may have been due to under-powering it- I have no idea. My options are spend $3k in 2920-POE+ switches, or just use the injectors. I opted for the second, but then one of my injectors failed. I learned some time ago with these low end devices to always order a spare with the money saved, and it paid off again today.

If you need a less-expensive L2 POE+ switch, take a look at the ProCurve 2530 series. Ive got several of these working with issues, and they are a true 24 + 4 port instead of 20 + 4 dual personality.

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/networking/products/switches/HP_2530_Switch_Series/index.aspx#J9773A

I have just been looking at buying the AC model but came across this thread and has put me off a little. Am I going to be better off just sticking to the Pro model and upgrading to 802.11ac when it's out of draft status?

All will be home use, but the current bottom end UniFi access point I have can't handle all the traffic, probably due to the 100mbit link.

I 'll have a new unifi AC unit in my possession within the next 30 days. The units are not 802.11ac draft spec. The spec was published and the devices are produced in spec.

If you run the them on firmware 2.4.6 you should be fine with connections to apple devices.

If you choose to run the new 3.0.x firmware (which is STILL beta).....you may encounter issues.

That said, their are some production quality issues with the unifi AC units that is still being worked out.

It is also paramount that you use the proper spec power when connecting to these units.

Are there any more updates on peoples experiences with these AC units?

I've just received two of them to run as trial units for a 60+ AP deployment, and I'm just trying to gather up as much information as I possibly can.

I've got a 5 unit deployment, had some random reboots in the beginning but we think it was because the AP had 60+ users on it. once we got it to under 30 things seemed to get better.

EDIT:

Take that back, looks like our restarts are still happening... bummer

I have one in my house running both 2.4 and 5 ghz - no issues so far.

Still using the 2.4.6 software/firmware. Seems like the 3.0+ is still very buggy

Had my UAP-AC for good 4 months now, still no problems! And it look beautiful, even my mom want one.

I have them. They work great.

I would advise you NOT to use the 3.0.x firmware with these unless you have access to the beta section of the forums and can download build 19 or newer.

I've got a 5 unit deployment, had some random reboots in the beginning but we think it was because the AP had 60+ users on it. once we got it to under 30 things seemed to get better.

EDIT:

Take that back, looks like our restarts are still happening... bummer

Probably running 3.0 firmware?

Your max load should be 30 users per radio. 30 on 2.4Ghz and 30 on 5Ghz if you have a pro or AC unifi.

About two weeks.

I see that youre running injectors, but HP does have a 2520 replacement line -- the 2530 - that is PoE+. Also, alot of AC WAPs will run on 802.3af but only with 40mhz channels widths. Aerohive is one such vendor. May be the same for Ubiquiti?

I've recently moved and the place we are at I cannot run ethernet cable. I originally planned to upgrade my aging WRT350N AP to a Ubiquiti product but now I'm in a situation where I need gigabit speeds, so I was looking at 11ac. There will only be 1 client constantly on the wireless primarily accessing a file server for video streaming, and I was wanting to stick with Ubiquiti but this thread has me slightly worried. Later on issues seem to be resolved - or would you all recommend something else for a 11ac AP?

I've recently moved and the place we are at I cannot run ethernet cable. I originally planned to upgrade my aging WRT350N AP to a Ubiquiti product but now I'm in a situation where I need gigabit speeds, so I was looking at 11ac. There will only be 1 client constantly on the wireless primarily accessing a file server for video streaming, and I was wanting to stick with Ubiquiti but this thread has me slightly worried. Later on issues seem to be resolved - or would you all recommend something else for a 11ac AP?

AC won't give you full gigabit speeds. What is the speed needed for? If it's just streaming, 5.8N would give you at least 20MB/s.

AC won't give you full gigabit speeds. What is the speed needed for? If it's just streaming, 5.8N would give you at least 20MB/s.

Oh I understand that (shoulda phrased better), but anything over wireless N should be fine Id say. Blu ray rips and under, TV shows in 1080p quality etc.

If you get the 802.11ac AP, stay away from all 3.0+ versions of firmware

I'm running 2.4.6 and my AC ap has been solid - no random reboots or drop outs (can't say the same for my older N ap's - they definitely have some bugs to work out there)

Hopefully 3.0+ comes out of beta soon.

no clue and i take back the fact ours hasn't restarted, i had a handful restart in the last 24 hours.

i plan to upgrade my consumer class wireless ap to unifi ap. original plan is to have 1 UAP AP AC but now.... i'm a little concerned if i should firstly go with regular UAP AP

Back