Unicomp Tenkeyless (IBM SSK) Preorder

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
Oh that's nice.. considering that the originals I have seen on eBay are put up for an asking price of 2-4x that much.

mlcarson

Limp Gawd
I'm getting one of these. I have one of the spacesaver model M's but really prefer the tenkeyless which haven't been available until now.

Panel

Limp Gawd
I have an actual Model M SSK, but only 4 lower modifier keys isn’t enough, which makes me want to pick this up. It doesn’t look like it’ll be making the March timeline, though.

Another delay. From Unicomp's FB page:

Just a quick update on the Mini M development progress. I had forecast we would be shipping by the end of June but unfortunately, we are not going to make it. The good news is I'm typing this update on the first functional model. The firmware is buggy still and not full function, i.e. no embedded numpad among other things, but we're making reasonable progress. There are lots of "distractions" which tend to syphon time away Mini M development, like paying customers that want a New Model M in a European language or Mac version. Or dealing with the latest COVID-19 driven change to the assembly floor and assembly process among all the normal production related challenges. Given the progress made over the last two months, I think we are at least two months away from first production. I hope you can hang in there with us. We appreciate your patience.

This isn't looking too good at this point. Just stop with the CV-19 excuse. My own direct experience with software and hardware dev this year.....we haven't missed a beat. We've been remote since March and no timelines have suffered. Those physically on the floor have not missed a step.

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
This depends on where you are located and what and how many draconian measures are being forced on you by the left.

mlcarson

Limp Gawd
They seem to be in Kentucky. It's not really known as being a draconian leftist enclave. I've been waiting since last January which is ridiculous.

toast0

[H]ard|Gawd
I really hate what they've done with the bottom row. Otherwise this would be great.

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
I really hate what they've done with the bottom row. Otherwise this would be great.
Yeah I asked about that with the new 104/105 and they said they made new tooling and I guess people wanted this way to make the move from 101/102 easier so the keys are in the same spots rather than the typical 104/105 positions. I actually just looked at this and the alt position is better for me but the keys still look terrible with the random sizes lol.

Last edited:

mlcarson

Limp Gawd
They've finally emailed those that did pre-orders on 2/24 with a release date for the Mini-M. That's supposed to be on or before 3/20/21 so they're about a year late. The price has gone up since then and they're honoring the original price but the shipping charge via UPS ground is $22.25 to California. That seems high to me but is close to what I get if go to UPS for an estimate given the size. I get about $20 so I guess it's not out of line.

mlcarson

Limp Gawd
Well, 3/20/21 has come and gone and I haven't received mine or any shipping indication. I kind of take that back. I just logged onto their site and see a UPS shipping number from 2/26 when I last posted but UPS doesn't acknowledge that it exists. I then dug down deeper into their details and it shows that it actually shipped today and that UPS probably just hasn't gotten it into their system yet so maybe I can confirm actual shipment tomorrow. And it actually shipped and will be here 4/8/21.

Last edited:

mlcarson

Limp Gawd
And after a year, my Mini-M has arrived. Biggest surprise so far is that some of the keys are actually white; my original Model-M had all grey keys. This keyboard has the same key layout as my original model-M (2011 vintage) with respect to the Alt and windows keys which is a positive. The new Model-M has a weird windows alt key layout on the right where as this Mini-M does not. This keyboard is 15.5 x 7.5 inches in size. The original Model-M was 18.0 x 7.0 inches. So the new mini-M is actually larger in depth than the original and only 2.5 inches shorter in length. As a comparison, my CMStorm Quickfire tenkeyless keyboard measures 14.0 x 5 3/8. Unicomp basically puts this keyboard in a rigid frame which is probably 3/4 inch on all sides which adds to the size but makes it very solid. I don't have a scale to put these boards on but it seems like the mini-M might be heaver than the original M.

The original M is still working fine after 10 years so hopefully this one will too. No complaints so far. I like that the USB cable is removable so that it's easily replaced.