Ungodly Slow PlayStation 4 Download Speed

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by NemesisX, Feb 8, 2018.

1. NemesisX

NemesisX n00bie

Hey guys. This is apparently a widespread problem, but I was wondering if any of you have encountered a solution to the freakishly gimped download speeds on the PS4 Pro. To put it simply, I have gigabit internet. It's not fiber, but multi-threaded coax. So I get roughly 800-950 Mbps down and 50-60 Mbps up on average. However, I get between 15-50 Mbps down and 1-2 Mbps up on my PS4 Pro. I have the console hooked up directly to my router via CAT 6, so I'm not sure where the breakdown is. I have an ethernet line going from my router to a gigabit switch ... and from that switch I have more lines going out to my PC, TV, and PS4 ...but my TV and PC see the full speeds I'm supposed to be getting. I see other people online getting 200-300 Mbps on theirs ... and if I could even get remotely close to that I'd be content. But right now speeds are a joke. Any advice? I've tried changing the DNS settings manually, the MTU settings, running the network through an HTTP proxy via my PC, etc. and nothing helps. It's maddening. Could it be the internal hard drive gimping the speed? Should I swap it out with an SSD? I'm at a loss.

2. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

PS4 always have had slow speeds. What's weird is your hardwired. Can you navigate to fast.com in the browser and test your speed that way? On the PS4 pro

3. NemesisX

NemesisX n00bie

Yes, I've run speed tests and they're still horrible. It takes me 30 minutes to download something that would otherwise take me a minute. Could the ethernet port be faulty?

4. vegeta535

vegeta535 [H]ard|Gawd

Their are some setting you can change like the DNS that will increase the speed some. I don't remember them but do a Google search and you will find them. I change the setting and went from like 10MB down to like 70. Still can't get my full 100MB but it is a lot better.

5. NemesisX

NemesisX n00bie

I tried both Google's DNS IPs and OpenDNS which were suggested online and there's barely an improvement. It's like they're gimping the speed intentionally.

6. waterbucket

waterbucket n00bie

7. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

8. SamirD

SamirD Gawd

I'd try swapping the cable or the port the cable plugs into on the switch. A bad link negotiation to 100Mbit vs gigabit could be a possible cause.

9. NemesisX

NemesisX n00bie

I'll try this later and report back. Thanks.

Edit: Tried this and it did absolutely nothing. I'm getting about 40-50 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. Lol ... this is awful.

It's a 10 gigabit switch with CAT 6 cabling (overkill, I know) and every device coming off this switch is getting nearly gigabit speeds. And yes I've tried different ports on the switch, but with no luck. It's just the PS4 Pro that I'm seeing horrific speeds with. It's mind-numbingly frustrating. I wish the issue were as simple as you were suggesting. :(

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  10. SamirD

SamirD Gawd

What about the cable going to the ps4? Tried changing that too? If so, I'm out of ideas. :(

Well, maybe not. If you tried that and it wasn't the cable, can you give the ps4 direct internet connection? No router, no switch, just straight in? Just for testing of course. If you get something different there, then maybe we've got a place to start from. (y)

11. MMitch

MMitch Limp Gawd

Well, what are you aiming for ?

I've never hit more than around 70Mbit / 20 Mbit while I should get way more but that doesn't affect anything to be honest while playing...
    NAT2 is because you're behind a router, try DMZ your PS4 if you can.

12. Brokennails

Brokennails [H]ard|Gawd

Sony's network has always been shit.

My .02

13. waterbucket

waterbucket n00bie

That's a marked improvement over your original post at least. At least increased your minimum down range. You likely won't be able to pull anything near 950mbps down from Sony anyhow but you should be able to get at least 100 from them. It's definitely their network though and not likely yours. You could always try using its wireless AC and see if there's an improvement and rule out a port issue but I'm guessing even if you direct connect to your PS4 you'll get the same issues. I have 175mbps down and average between 70-125mbps down and 5mbps up. I too am running CAT6 directly to my PS4 Pro from an Asus AC1900 router and was getting 20-40 down until I opened ports and set a static IP.

EDIT: Did you only test during peak usage time? If so that could be the issue [well Sony's issue]

14. heman22union

heman22union n00bie

I would plug a different device into where the PS4 plugs into. See if that device is getting the same speed. Do you have a network cable tester you could use to test the cable?

15. NemesisX

NemesisX n00bie

It's an improvement (although 40-50 seems to be the peak ... it tends to average between 15-30), but still much crappier compared to the speeds I'm seeing people getting online from their gigabit connections (250-300 Mbps). As for usage times I've tried at every time of day and it still sucks.

It has nothing to do with what port the PS4 is connected to. Anything connected to the same port gets full speed, it's just the PS4. I've also connected it directly to my router via Ethernet and directly to the Modem itself via Ethernet and it's still the same crappy speed, so it's definitely the PS4. It's just mind-boggling to me that literally every device (including cheap crappy ones) in my house can get much better speeds than the PS4.

Yes it has, but as I said earlier, I've seen people get 250+ Mbps on their gigabit lines. I'm not trying to get gigabit speed by any stretch of the imagination, but if I could at least get 200+ like these people are somehow getting I'd be ecstatic. Hell ... if I could get 100 Mbps I'd be happy. Get 20-30x slower speed on a LAN line is depressing. Like I understand connecting to PSN itself can be slow ... but there's no reason the speed itself should be so incredibly crippled during the connection test.

16. waterbucket

waterbucket n00bie

Perhaps those that have those good speeds have a good route to whatever Sony server their console is connecting to. Perhaps your issue is the location of the server or the route to it? Unfortunately if that is the case it’ll likely be difficult to get changed.

I would have expected Sony’s network to be able to max out pretty much any connection like Xbox live and Steam are fully capable of. Unfortunately that is almost never the case. Given all of things you’ve tried I’d definitely suspect a routing or location issue. If you ever do find anything more out or manage to get this resolved please let us know but it seems to me those that get great speeds are part of the minority.

The primary reason I set up a static IP and opened the proper ports for mine was to resolve an issue I had with videos on the store cutting out to buffer every 20 or 30 seconds which it not only resolved but also noticed the speed improvements. I pretty much gave up on getting good speeds from them all the way back on the PS3 and just let stuff download overnight. I am however curious if you attempted to download something from them after following the information I linked because I’ve read that the test isn’t too reliable at any given point of time.

17. NemesisX

NemesisX n00bie

You're probably right. I've tried literally everything I could find online and all the advice here with no luck. Perhaps it'll be better when I move back to the west coast. I don't have any experience with Xbox Live, but with Steam my games download at full speed. Wish I could get that on the PS4, but oh well. Maybe in the future. Thanks for the help guys. If something magically changes I'll post an update.

18. evilwon

evilwon Limp Gawd

I'll have to see if I can dig up some old stuff as I am old and may not recall everything properly...or if it was the PS3 that had this issue. I do remember someone setting up a PC as a proxy for the PS4 (PS3?) and getting higher throughput speeds. I don't remember the details.

Oh yeah...a Reddit but probably read it elsewhere first as it was before this awful game was released.