Unfinished 6ft Butcher Block countertop/desk top slab $120 (Home Depot, YMMV)

J Macker

[H]F Junkie
Nice deal, I bought several of these years ago when they were alot less, but still a good deal. And at 1.5" thick, they make solid desks/tables etc. for just about any use...

I trimmed mine with solid oak moulding and finished them off with that super-duper-tuff clear stuff that is used on basketball courts, and they still look as good now as they did on day 1 :)

I wonder if it's zipcode based, showing $169 here.

Edit* It is, I updated zipcode to WA and it shows the 120.

Was showing $120 for me when he first posted but yea back to $169. I rather it be 30" deep tho.

I wonder if it's zipcode based, showing $169 here.

Edit* It is, I updated zipcode to WA and it shows the 120.
May be cheaper near where the lumber is cut. On one trip from Canada to California I remember driving down the highway with the windows open on a nice day and just for a couple miles I had the scent of fresh cut lumber wafting through the car. Some people get a high from the smell at pumping gas, I get it from wood.

That said, if you have some simple tools you can totally make your own butcher block, with some effort. If you're not super duper picky about it being ultra square, you can even do it without a jointer or planner, just a power sander, facemask and patience :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I used these: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/gerton-tabletop-beech-50106773/

61 x 29 1/2 x 1 1/2 thick @ $100 each​

I put two together in an L shape with some white square legs from Ikea at each corner. I also used a cross brace at most corners since it wobbled without them.

I didn't finish it with anything other than this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKQYGW
Do you have a picture of the finished product? That sounds about like what I need to do for my space.

25" deep is fairly shallow if you have any type of decent size screen.

I used these: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/gerton-tabletop-beech-50106773/

61 x 29 1/2 x 1 1/2 thick @ $100 each​

I put two together in an L shape with some white square legs from Ikea at each corner. I also used a cross brace at most corners since it wobbled without them.

I didn't finish it with anything other than this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKQYGW

Dang that would be great! I would prefer 29.5" depth.
I wish Ikea would ship them to my zip code. It simply states unavailable. They don't have stock of them in Renton, WA nor Portland, OR.

Another suggestion could be a butcher block from Home Depot, although they're fairly expensive and you'll still have to buy legs.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Kitchen-Countertops-Butcher-Block-Countertops/N-5yc1vZcgrc

Or you can do what I did and find a used kitchen table on craigslist or fb marketplace for cheap. I paid less than $100 for a 5'x3' table.
I have a dual-monitor arm holding two 32" monitors and have plenty of room. I'd post a pic of it, but my work area is a mess right now. :)

This was a 100% IKEA build using something similar to what the OP and others have posted. I used dowels glued to the stands to keep the desktop in place but still allow easy disassembly / movement. Stain and poly dressed it up a bit. The stands are height / tilt adjustable however I typically just leave it at the lowest setting. The stands were also assembled with wood glue in addition to the typical IKEA fasteners, they are pretty solid.

439CE7E6-3989-4457-B536-C8BAA9CE3D4F.jpeg

This was a 100% IKEA build using something similar to what the OP and others have posted. I used dowels glued to the stands to keep the desktop in place but still allow easy disassembly / movement. Stain and poly dressed it up a bit. The stands are height / tilt adjustable however I typically just leave it at the lowest setting. The stands were also assembled with wood glue in addition to the typical IKEA fasteners, they are pretty solid.

That looks so nice!! Now I want to stain and poly mine, but I might have screwed myself by putting the wax/oil on it.

I built a sit/stand desk from this:

Ikea $59 - 74" x 25 5/8" x 1 1/2" - I needed length more than depth.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/saeljan-countertop-oak-effect-laminate-80439214/

I can take a photo for anyone that wants to know how it looks.

I was tempted to use this too since it looks really nice. I was worried that since it's a laminated particle board it wouldn't hold my 3 Ergotron monitor arms very well. Do you use clamped monitor arms on yours?

Nice deal, I bought several of these years ago when they were alot less, but still a good deal. And at 1.5" thick, they make solid desks/tables etc. for just about any use...

I trimmed mine with solid oak moulding and finished them off with that super-duper-tuff clear stuff that is used on basketball courts, and they still look as good now as they did on day 1 :)
what's the brand of the super duper tuff stuff for basketball courts?

Aye tks for all the post on this topic! I need to build me a desk as i been unable to find anything i like
that is premade. Gives me lots of ideas.

That looks so nice!! Now I want to stain and poly mine, but I might have screwed myself by putting the wax/oil on it.

I was tempted to use this too since it looks really nice. I was worried that since it's a laminated particle board it wouldn't hold my 3 Ergotron monitor arms very well. Do you use clamped monitor arms on yours?
Yes. I use a Silverstone monitor arm with it.
I've had it mounted this way since May.

20210227_223651.jpg

20210227_223723.jpg

Yes. I use a Silverstone monitor arm with it.
I've had it mounted this way since May.

That's a heavy monitor too! Looks good. So then that settles it, this is a great option if you don't want the hassle of finishing or sealing the raw wood tabletops.

For the ultimate in cheap desk surface I introduce the solid core interior door (here is a Lowes link for $62 if you can find one in stock near you). I stained the desk myself and lacquered it for some extra protection. I initially used 5 Ikea legs for $4/each for a super solid desk under $100. I upgraded to Uplift v2 legs/frame just before the pandemic hit. 80" x 36" of usable surface area.

Update:
I ordered another butcher block (Hevea rubberwood), but a little bit wider for $162. I think that's a pretty good price compared to Home Depot options around $244-260 for my area.
The new one I ordered is at Lowe's and is 6ft x 30" deep and 1.25" thick (perfect for a desk)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sparrow-Peak-Rubberwood-1-1-4-in-Thick-Butcher-Block/5001523807

Also, made some good progress on the other 4 butcher blocks this past weekend: Stained and working on polyurethane coats.
Our 2 girls chose the blue stain. I'm still not sure about it. But they really like it.
nostain.jpg

blue.jpg
redchestnut.jpg

Update:
I ordered another butcher block (Hevea rubberwood), but a little bit wider for $162. I think that's a pretty good price compared to Home Depot options around $244-260 for my area.
The new one I ordered is at Lowe's and is 6ft x 30" deep and 1.25" thick (perfect for a desk)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sparrow-Peak-Rubberwood-1-1-4-in-Thick-Butcher-Block/5001523807

Also, made some good progress on the other 4 butcher blocks this past weekend: Stained and working on polyurethane coats.
Our 2 girls chose the blue stain. I'm still not sure about it. But they really like it.
View attachment 341401
View attachment 341402View attachment 341403
The blue is kinda cool tbh

For the ultimate in cheap desk surface I introduce the solid core interior door (here is a Lowes link for $62 if you can find one in stock near you). I stained the desk myself and lacquered it for some extra protection. I initially used 5 Ikea legs for $4/each for a super solid desk under $100. I upgraded to Uplift v2 legs/frame just before the pandemic hit. 80" x 36" of usable surface area.
The ultimate budget deal is to go to your local store and check the scratch and dent lumber section. My local Home Depot had the same door with some scrapes on the edges for less than half price. It worked out because that part was getting cut off anyways for fitment reasons. White wash and some clear coat. This is a test fit before it was done.

Attachments

• Unfinished Desk.jpg
    Unfinished Desk.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 0
Back