uneven brightness, display dark on the left side (Lenovo L2461x)

chasethis

n00b
Hi mates, I have a L2461x monitor (product link given below). the problem is that left half of the monitor is darker than the right side (check out the picture i took of the screen). the monitor has an external power adapter which is not of lenovo brand but a chinese brand Hipro, could it be the adapter's fault? or there is something wrong with the monitor?
http://support.lenovo.com/en_IN/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD014498

2m2tg07.jpg

Hm,
It seems as if only one of the LED strips are powered on, i.e. the two strips are installed at the bottom with their own dedicated driver. Has it always behaved like this - also with the original adapter? If the output voltage and current ratings are the same, it would be no problem to just substitute the adapter as you did.
The only way to really check if the adapter works is to measure it's output voltage when it is nearly fully loaded (current draw near the rated maximum).

i just received this monitor from a reseller. and it behaved like this out of the box. I've been told that Hipro is the oem manufacturer for adapters for lenovo.
is it complicated/expensive to replace the LED strips?

Well, it would be near impossible to replace the LEDs. Obtaining the correct parts is probably impossible. Disassembling the panel is most likely also hard - some are impossible to re-assemble. It is also more likely that it is the LED driver that doesn't work rather than the LEDs. Replacing one of these is easier, but obtaining the parts (a new PCB with the driver) will be very hard.

Return it to the reseller. It's clearly defective.

thanks tk-don for your help, ive contacted lenovo lets see what they say, otherwise i will try to return it to the reseller, the shipping is going to kill me though.
thanks

the 22" lenovo I have at my desk at work is doing the same thing.

I suspect its a faulty backlight/bad monitor at this point.

Back