"Undock Computer" & "Run in separate memory space" Qustions...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by athlon1.2, Apr 14, 2008.

1. athlon1.2

athlon1.2 [H]ardness Supreme

Are both these things features built into Windows? I've never seen them on my PC (I have an HP notebook + docking station).

Pics were taken on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 FWIW....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And how would I enable the docking in Windows? Must I install Windows with the machine docked?

2. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

I don't know about the first question, but the undocking option should be on every laptop that's docked. I've often installed XP on my previous laptop while undocked....and that option has appeared the first time I popped it on the dock.

3. Demon10000

Demon10000 [H]ardness Supreme

The check box in the run dialog is a policy. Copy this to a reg file and double click it to import, or manually create it using RegEdit.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "MemCheckBoxInRunDlg"=dword:00000001

In regards to the undock button (which I freaking HATE, but I'm not a typical laptop user), check this key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoStartMenuEjectPC.
    0 (or not there) = Show the Undock
    1 = hide undock

This value could also be in the HKCU branch as well, so if you don't see it in HKLM, check HKCU.

{edit}

After you make the change, either restart or run "gpupdate /force" to make the changes effective. If you get prompted to reboot or logoff, just choose no.

4. athlon1.2

athlon1.2 [H]ardness Supreme

But what does "run command in separate memory space" do exactly? I really don't care about it I've just never seen that before in my life and was wondering wtf it was.

And I have an HP Compaq nc6220 and I've never seen the undock computer thing either. Are you sure its not an IBM/Lenovo thing only?

5. Demon10000

Demon10000 [H]ardness Supreme

It's just a policy. It can be applied to any computer, no matter the brand. I installed XP fresh on my Thinkpad and it enabled the undock button automatically. It's possible that if you install XP and it doesn't recognize your computer as a laptop during install time, it might not put the option there as it's useless on a desktop.

As far as separate memory space -- thats for 16 bit programs. 16 programs are run in a shared memory space. Without getting into details, if you run two 16 bit programs at once, and one of them crash or causes problems, there is a possibility that it could impact both programs. If you run them each in a separate memory space, if one were to crash, it would be isolated from the other one, and would lower the chances of the crash impacting the other programs.

So it basically does what it says -- it keeps the 16 bit programs isolated from each other so they don't cause problems with each other.