Underworld Ascendant - official sequel to Ultima Underworld!

Must admit, the first thing that came to mind was "Another Underworld vampire movie???" :p

Last game I backed on KS was Dreamfall Chapters. It turned out quite good. I just kicked in a few bucks for Underworld, too.

If it's a 14.99 title or something mebbe.
Arx Fatalis is $5.99 on GOG

It will scratch that itch if you've never played it before

Its open source now too. Arx Libertatis has recent releases and is still being worked on

While it doesn't look incredible, it's got its own style. Just like every other Ultima game (and Looking Glass game by proxy). ALL of the previous games, even up through Ascension were stylized, cartoony, colorful, surreal, and this looks to continue that tradition. It's not Skyrim, It's not The Witcher, nor does it have the kind of development budget or teams that those games have. It may appear a little bit clunky, but tell me which Ultima (or spinoff thereof) wasn't clunky in some way. And yet, they are among the best games of all time IMO. Even with the cartoony feel of previous DOS-era Ultima games, I was always pulled straight into those worlds, and enjoyed every minute I was there. I still play many of them to this day. (I just finished Serpent Isle again a few months ago.) Sometimes you just have to turn off the realism detectors, turn on the imagination, and ALLOW yourself to enjoy something. I think this will be one of the games that falls under (and is worthy of) that category. We will see of course, but I have a decent feeling about it.

I haven't played the beta. I'm definitely going to grab this in November (assuming no more date slips), so I'll be happy to post some thoughts on it once I get it.

I don't believe it was ever Ascension. It's been Ascendant since at least Feb 2015.

Yeah, Ascension was Ultima IX, and not a part of the Underworld series. This game is a continuation of the latter, not the main Ultima series. (I through IX)

So far, I'm hearing mixed things (I suppose as we all expected). However, the things that some people are calling negative (like that it's more like Dark Messiah) actually sound good to me. :D I suppose that would be disappointing if you wanted EXACTLY UU3 or something.

It sounds like a few of the games systems can be a bit clunky, and the lack of full-featured-save-system is pissing off some people as well.

Otherwise, it sounds pretty decent. I think I'm going to wait for a few more reviews to pop in so they're a bit more detailed than an hour or two of play can provide, and then maybe pick it up. I'm pretty forgiving if the game covers enough bases for me, or seems otherwise intriguing in some way. It kind of sounds like Ultima Underworld Lite, which I'm totally fine with assuming no major broken shit.

This looked cool conceptually when I was watching the steam videos, but damn it's getting shit on hard in the reviews.

Been playing and other than a few hitches, it's been pretty stable for me. Does look okay in 4k, and it does satisfy the dungeon crawler itch I had. Is it perfect? No...But I didn't expect it to be and I figure the problems It does have atm will hopefully be ironed out sooner than later.

It's buggy. I am waiting for some patches before I start playing it.

That's probably a good idea. I haven't grabbed it yet, because I grabbed another 2D indie game (Timespinner) which is now sucking up all of my available game time. :D Hopefully by the time I grab Ascendant, they'll have a few fixes in. I'm still very much looking forward to playing it.

Gah, supported the Kickstarter, but haven't played yet...to afraid to. The review videos I've watched so far are fucking terrible. This game is nowhere near completed. Jebus, this "game" looks like a tech demo from the late '90s.

I only played a few minutes into the game since I'm doing other games, but from what I found if you die it spawns you back at the very beginning of a level, to where you lose all progress. It may be different later on in the game, or that may be what people are complaining about.

I only played a few minutes into the game since I'm doing other games, but from what I found if you die it spawns you back at the very beginning of a level, to where you lose all progress. It may be different later on in the game, or that may be what people are complaining about.

Is it just progress through the level that is lost, or do you also lose inventory items and things like that?

Back