Underwhelming Newegg black friday?

The Diamond Radeon 4890 looks pretty good at $70. Granted it's an oldie, but I recall that's the price in the sale forums.

Neweggs core business model is building a good website, that is how they make sales. IMO they never cared to have the lowest price that was just something they needed to do in order to expose the USA to their website. Once everyone knew about them and started going there for stuff they started raising prices. Get used to it. And to that point they still have one of the easiest websites to navigate. Playing the game of loss leaders is very different online and retailers are still feeling it out. With a brick and mortar store you count on people getting trapped in your store and buying other stuff. But online that is harder to do. Its kinda like you wait 2 hours in a line and then get into the store but the deal is sold out, well you are already there so you just buy what you want. The loss leader was only there to make you make illogical decisions. Online you start to change tactics such as releasing frenzy deals like one deal a day or woot to sort of excite people. You throw in some killer ones and follow them up with rip offs to move product or make money.

I laugh at BF deals all the time I see advertised items at MSRP that is the oldest trick in the book and sadly knowing tech and deal novices who fall for it I know it works.

My main point is that things are really complicated with online sales. Amazon can copy and match you deals instantly and you cannot do anything about it. So it serves no purpose for you to publish them ahead of time only to get copied. Newegg will pull off some decent deals in the secret deals though. They need to do some of that or people will just start writing them off and not even subscribing to their newslett, BTW I dont even look at their newsletter most of the time. I just delete it and goto deal sites like this or techbargains.

Neweggs core business model is building a good website, that is how they make sales. IMO they never cared to have the lowest price that was just something they needed to do in order to expose the USA to their website. Once everyone knew about them and started going there for stuff they started raising prices. Get used to it. And to that point they still have one of the easiest websites to navigate. Playing the game of loss leaders is very different online and retailers are still feeling it out. With a brick and mortar store you count on people getting trapped in your store and buying other stuff. But online that is harder to do. So you start to change tactics such as releasing frenzy deals like one deal a day or woot to sort of excite people. You throw in some killer ones and follow them up with rip offs to move product or make money.

My main point is that things are really complicated with online sales. Amazon can copy and match you deals instantly and you cannot do anything about it. So it serves no purpose for you to publish them ahead of time only to get copied. Newegg will pull off some decent deals in the secret deals though.

Tomorrow night.....F5 F5 F5 F5!!! :D

I was a little underwhelmed myself. I waited until today to place my order in case there would be any deals on what I needed but no such luck. I could have ordered yesterday morning and had it shipped yesterday as well. Now it will likely not be shipped until Friday. Sad pandas.

That being said, I still love the company and will continue to order nearly everything I need from them.

Last edited:
I was a little underwhelmed myself. I waited until today to place my order in case there would be any deals on what I needed but no such luck. I could have ordered yesterday morning and had it shipped yesterday as well. Now it will likely not be shipped until Friday. Sad pandas.

Black Friday.

Today is Wednesday.

Black Friday.

Today is Wednesday.

Yes this is true. I do have the capacity to read and understand a Calendar. However if you are on their email list you will notice that their Black Friday sale started today at 3:00 PM PST. I called their customer service to confirm this fact.

Yes this is true. I do have the capacity to read and understand a Calendar. However if you are on their email list you will notice that their Black Friday sale started today at 3:00 PM PST. I called their customer service to confirm this fact.

It's not the real black friday sale... they will shoot off an email hours in advance of the sale with a count down timer (normally 12:01 PST thanksgiving night) ... It's been done the same for the past couple years so I don't see why they would change that now

blackfriday.png

There.

Well I stand corrected. I may have to have a little chat with Mr. Irwin. Thanks for the correction.

I picked up the biostar micro atx motherboard, and an i3 2100 for $179. Not bad for a budget rig. Sure I'm not going to be able to do much OCing...but I wouldn't be able to do much OCing in the case I'm using! =P

That blu-burner WITH software for $60 is a good deal.
Get some DL disks and you can store 50GB a pop.
Should be good for off-site archival.

Also have the ASUS P8B WS LGA 1155 MB for $150 after $70MIR. I think this should be good for VMs which need VTd.

The blu-ray burner deal is a great one. I don't need one but I did it anyway.

I'm not really expecting much from Newegg's "REAL Black Friday" sale on Friday. Kinda disappointed. I used to never compare prices for Newegg because it always had the best deals, but I find myself double checking Amazon now or even worse! Crawling back to Tigerdirect (didn't those guys over price themselves out years ago? They were why I went to Newegg :O )

I picked up the laptop ram. Should be a decent upgrade for my m11x r1, and for $30, quote a decent deal.

Tomorrow night may be extra special, but I'm already happy with my 16GB G.Skill and X750 PSU.

So, I just noticed that the deal on that 6950 updated. It was showing $269, $279 - something like that. It's now $229, which is at least a reasonable price for the card.

Not a great deal considering you can get a similar 6950 2GB for cheaper after rebate right now, but this one does have the firmware switch and no MIRs so it might be to somebody's liking. I'm still on the fence.

I paid as much for one... In May. Well, after MIR anyway, second one was actually cheaper IIRC (bought a Powercolor & HIS to avoid rebate hassles, both arrived without issue by mid summery). GPU prices have been very stagnant this year imo. Almost as slow as the 8800 days...

Personally I was hoping for SSD deals on something other than SF drives, tho that 15% discount they ran on OCZ drives the other day (on top of existing $20+ MIRs) was pretty good. MC's gonna have some good prices on Intel 320s and OCZ Agilities too... Seen a couple other okay deals on older (previous gen SF) or mid range drives, nothing mind blowing tho, nothing even at $1/GB besides the 320 @MC. I guess they're too much of a hot ticket item right now.

Best deals I've seen are BB's Rewards Silver deals ($400 tablet for $250? yes plz) but that's obviously limited in scope by who can take advantage of it.

Edit: After looking at the revised Newegg deals I'd still say they're underwhelming; way too much crap they're clearly just trying to clear stock on, which is what BF has generally become... Altho I noticed they're selling the 120GB Agility 3 for $120 after MIR, I think that's like $10 cheaper than MC. Personally SF's still a pass in my book but it's a good deal.

Last edited:
I got an email about phase 2 unlocking at midnight with a link to the same page we saw earlier and nothing new on it... obviously its not midnight yet but its pretty annoying since what they expect us to run through the entire list again at midnight to try and diff it?

I got an email about phase 2 unlocking at midnight with a link to the same page we saw earlier and nothing new on it... obviously its not midnight yet but its pretty annoying since what they expect us to run through the entire list again at midnight to try and diff it?

+1. Although I will stay awake for this one to see if there are any good ones. Probably won't be as good as 25th's night though.

It says 12am PST. I'll wait the 45 minutes before hitting the sack I guess. Really looking for some [H] SSD.

Back