Undervolting My GTX 470

RoGuE1230

Limp Gawd
I have been testing various voltages for my GTX 470 to try to reduce the heat. I got it as low as 80 degrees with the fan at 80% with a custom fan profile. This was not a good solution (but still better than the 94 it got with the stock fan profile with the fan still at 50%!)

So I varied the voltage little by little. It started at 0.96v and while running Furmark I lowered it until I saw artifacts and crashed. lol. That occurred at .862v, so I raised it one notch to .8750v and ran it for one hour on Furmark at that voltage and saw no artifact and no instability. And it was able to bring the fan down to 75 degrees at 70% fan speed. I'm sure with a little more tweaking of the fan profile I can get it better.

Is my one hour test on Furmark enough of a test for stability?

I have to ask, what is wrong with low 80's stressing it? I have a GTX 260 running for 2 1/2 years, mostly stressing from Folding and gaming in the 80's at 75% fan speed and still running strong wth 16 hours of stress per day.

If it's a hobby of yours that's cool, my mistake, but if you are worried about it, don't.

in game you will probably be able to get the voltage even lower then what furmark shows. but even saying that with your current temps in furmark your looking at mid 60's low 70's in game with the fan speed much lower then 75%.

Try a few runs of 3DMark Vantage and/or 3DMark11. I've found that running Furmark for around an hour wasn't really enough. Sometimes I found that some games didn't like the overclocks, so I would have to tweak it a bit to get it stable with them too.

*Off topic* Your GPU min temperature is my max on my 470. :D

Keep your fan on auto, if the card is too hot, the fan will run....simple as that.

I have to ask, what is wrong with low 80's stressing it? I have a GTX 260 running for 2 1/2 years, mostly stressing from Folding and gaming in the 80's at 75% fan speed and still running strong wth 16 hours of stress per day.

If it's a hobby of yours that's cool, my mistake, but if you are worried about it, don't.

It's not a hobby, but if I can lower the voltage and save power and reduce heat, even though it's just 5 degrees, why wouldn't I do it? Besides, the sound of the fan from 80% to 70% is alone enough of a reason to do it.

in game you will probably be able to get the voltage even lower then what furmark shows. but even saying that with your current temps in furmark your looking at mid 60's low 70's in game with the fan speed much lower then 75%.

Awesome. That's roughly the goal I was aiming for.

Try a few runs of 3DMark Vantage and/or 3DMark11. I've found that running Furmark for around an hour wasn't really enough. Sometimes I found that some games didn't like the overclocks, so I would have to tweak it a bit to get it stable with them too.

*Off topic* Your GPU min temperature is my max on my 470. :D

I'll try out 3DMark for sure to see the stability. Oh, and my min temp is actually 38-42 at idle. It was just still a bit toasty after it crashed and restarted from the voltage being too low. lol

well idle temps are going to be completely up to the ambient temp since the fan should drop to 30% and stay there. but you also have to remember your gpu is still driving windows aero so the temps will typically be a little higher. for example theres a 7C difference between my primary and secondary 8800GS's(non SLI) at idle just because of windows aero.(swapped both displays to the secondary card and it increase 7C and the other card dropped 7C so i know its windows aero)

as far as the fan goes. its not going to spin any where near those speeds in game. only time you ever see that is in furmark. typically the fan will stay around the 60% range in game maybe you will see 70% at the most in metro 2033 but even then i doubt it. with your undler volt you might stay in the mid 50% range.

Try using OCCT Error Check for 30minutes to see if it's actually stable rather than visibly stable. Also, that does seem to be quite a toasty GTX470 indeed.

Try using OCCT Error Check for 30minutes to see if it's actually stable rather than visibly stable. Also, that does seem to be quite a toasty GTX470 indeed.

Can anybody find a trend as far as GTX470 manufacturer's are concerned as it relates to heat? I have the Galaxy version..(not the model with that 'silly' swing out fan)...the standard model. It is very quiet and does not run hot at all, but I keep hearing these 'horror' stories about how loud and hot the other GTX470s run. Who seems to have the hottest models?

my vanilla evga will run stock clocks at .875 voltage. thats 2d volts folks. It doesnt even change when I jump in game. My fan spins 50% idle and increased to 85% as the temp climbs to 65c

when I run my card like I rarely see over 65c... playing black ops it loads out about 61c fan speed 75%

Can anybody find a trend as far as GTX470 manufacturer's are concerned as it relates to heat? I have the Galaxy version..(not the model with that 'silly' swing out fan)...the standard model. It is very quiet and does not run hot at all, but I keep hearing these 'horror' stories about how loud and hot the other GTX470s run. Who seems to have the hottest models?

I agree with you there. My Asus GTX470 is very cool and quiet overclocked it hits 80c at 75% fan speed when stressed with furmark (kombustor) and that's 23c room temperature. Idles 42-45c @ 30% fan.

I'm experiencing an issue with this. Whenever I start up a game, according to HW Monitor the voltage goes right back to 0.96, even though Furmark lets it stay at 0.88. Is there a way to fix this or is it just not reporting the voltage correctly?

Back