Undervolding a GTX 580, watt reduction?

duronboy

Gawd
I've been browsing potato cards to hold me over till a meaningful upgrade since my also ancient GTX 670 died. Figured I could get a used one for $30 or something. Nope, at least not yet. It seems I can get a 580 for that price. Only problem is it's a 250-watt card. Not actually a problem during the winter, but right now that's just too much heat for the performance. My tune might change when the 4060 arrives, but it'll be winter, then. Probably. Maybe.

Going from 1038 mV to 963 mV isn't a huge drop. And from one post I just read, 963mV was as low as the user in that post could go. If wattage scales linearly with voltage(and I don't remember if it does), and if my math is right(and I don't know if it is), then that's only a drop to 230W, which is still too much. I'd love to not exceed 200, but I think the card I had was 170. Although it was the Twin Frozr edition which I read somewhere was actually pushing 200+. Yikes.

Are there other 580s that can go lower? And if there are, does it make sense to use them at those lower speeds? What I mean is, is performance still smooth? If not I guess I could look at the 570.

The laptop I'm using now(1st gen i7 with 3100M(GT210-ish) has the option to limit CPU power by percentage. Right now I've got it set to 91% or something like that. In this config, with no external cooling assistance, performance in Quake Live(which should run on a calculator watch) is dramatically better(smoother frame rate and less laggy)* than the 75% setting. And, high temps are in the 60s, even with 3D rendering. Performance in Quake at 91% is also superior to the 100% setting WITH a portable fan blowing on the intake to keep temps out of the 80s. I don't get that, but whatevs.

Last edited:
I think there is a utility called more power tools for something like that for AMD cards that will allow you to drop the voltage further than the stock programs will let you. Might be worth looking into, I'm just not sure if it works with older cards like you have.

I ended up with a GTX 680. What I found with that and Afterburner was I could almost halve the performance while hardly making a meaningful dent in power consumption. I think it would be neat if performance and power were more closely related, and maybe for more expert users it is.

Depending on what card you have, it's always the last few percentage points that get the biggest power draw. You could probably run 70% at similar power draw as 50% performance if you spent the time to tweak it. Newer cards are a lot easier because of their more complicated boost algorithms. Pretty much just set a power limit and forget it.

Back