Underrated Games of the Year Award

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
im going to have to go with hitman 2 or return to castle wolfenstein for xbox

-warsaw

Splinter Cell got much credit and rightfully so. It´s graphics aren´t all that really but it´s lightning effects do cover it really well. Disable all shadows and such and it´s really really ugly. Very little detail on objects. But since shadows and lights is all Splinter Cell is about that is a non issue really. It´s gameplay was great and it´s animation is on par with Jedi Academy:s

Exactly! Splinter Cell had a whole different pace. It actually made you think, asses the environment, react to threats, and immersed you into a situation instead of making you run around like an idiot, gunning everything down.

Yes, you always need to watch out for the asses in the environment.

AOM Titans Expansion... Although it is selling like mad I seem to never see its advertisements or nayone talking about it. It was a great game.

Originally posted by NowhereMan
Exactly! Splinter Cell had a whole different pace. It actually made you think, asses the environment, react to threats, and immersed you into a situation instead of making you run around like an idiot, gunning everything down.

Way to many mindless games this year. Heck, aren’t people tired of that already? Every time a new shooter comes out it’s the same thing: run around and shoot blindly. Yes, I had fun playing Call of Duty, but it was short and mindless and we’ve been there done that in MOHAA. Max Payne 2 is nice but we’ve been there, done that all in Max Payne 1. Dues Ex 2 was on the right track if it wasn’t so buggy and consolized. Yeah, consoles are the death of gaming, there I said it. Imagine how deeper Splinter Cell would be if it was made for PC only.

More immersion and less mindless carnage, that’s my wish for next year.

End of rant.

I see Cod as the perfected version of mohaa and DOD.

My choice for underrated game of the year would be Otogi:Myth of Demons for XBox. It was the type of game that comes out of nowhere and turns out to be surprisingly good. It actually took me a couple of weeks before I could even find a copy to buy (everyone had sold out in the area, I think Sega got caught off guard by higher than expected demand.)

I'd have to say Rise of Nations. That is such a fun RTS imo, and it's a shame there isn't a very large community for it. Maybe that will change with the new expansion though. As far as Splinter Cell, I played the demo and didn't like it. It was a little too slow for me. And no, I'm not a retarded child with ADD, I just don't care much for a game with almost all stealth.

Splinter Cell got reviews from every media in the over 9 out of 10 range, so how is that "underrated."

Originally posted by sc4r4b
No offense, but Splinter Cell gets my "overrated game of the year award." SC was noticed quite a bit...

As far as underrated goes, Bloodrayne was IMO very underrated.
Underrated my ass. Bloodrayne was the worst piece of garbage ever to touch my computer's hard drive since ever. Not even hostile intent can match the crap that that piece of crap Bloodrayne spewed out onto my screen. Underrated != underachieving

Jedi Academy. It could have been designed in diffrent ways I guess, but the new sabering is amazing. The multiplayer holds my intrest too.

I thoroughly enjoyed Splinter Cell and am really looking forward to the sequel. I like the aspect of remaining stealth and it was a different feel than the rest of your shooting type games. I hope the sequel is more open to exploration, as the only thing bad about Splinter Cell was the fact that pretty much everything was planned out in a specific path. You cannot really replay the game and use a different strategy. Very cool game though.

Widescreen+480p progressive scan+surround sound PLII

F-ZERO GX on gamecube. I found the holy grail of gaming. take all my other games, it wont matter, I stopped playing everything else. (I wonder how school is going to work next semester....)

Underratted cause noone talks about it anymore. Hell, the arcade version (FZERO AX) which supposedly has been out since september, is only availible in 3 cities in the WHOLE FREAKIN UNITED STATES!! And thats one cabinet per city! Wheres the damn game?!

Im not sure how its selling either, cant be that great, since its hard to find much info on the net. (excluding fansites... yes all 2 of them....)

Plus, if you didnt know, this game is freakin HISTORICAL.
SEGA made a game for NINTENDO. Ironic history of course, but still....

ok, im done. (played for 5 hours today. Im in love.)

Gothic II.

It is better than morrowind imo.

Having voices for every npc.
Having a open ended type game, yet still staying on the path of a storyline is good.

The scenery was very nice (player models were meh)

Combat better than morrowinds too.

I thoroughly enjoyed Splinter Cell as well ...it seemed to have gotten a lot of hype before it was released ...and a little once it came out ...but didnt hear much of it afterwards

Originally posted by Stiler
Gothic II.

It is better than morrowind imo.

Having voices for every npc.
Having a open ended type game, yet still staying on the path of a storyline is good.

The scenery was very nice (player models were meh)

Combat better than morrowinds too.

Gothic II is a copycat of Morrowind. That is like saying Half Life is better than DOOM.

Without DOOM no Half Life without Morrowind no Gothic.

Don´t know about the better player models. With some face mod I fall in love with every female character in Morrowind LOL.

But I agree but I don´t see 95 % of the games mentioned here as underrated since most get very good reviews and won several awards :confused:

Originally posted by Diablo
AOM Titans Expansion... Although it is selling like mad I seem to never see its advertisements or nayone talking about it. It was a great game.

It´s an expansion and thus it´s out of the competition.

Originally posted by oqvist

morrowind came out after gothic but before gothic2.

Originally posted by NIGHTMARE2
Splinter Cell got reviews from every media in the over 9 out of 10 range, so how is that "underrated."

My post said: Splinter Cell did not get much notice at the end of the year wrap-ups.

Gothic II is a copycat of Morrowind. That is like saying Half Life is better than DOOM.

Don´t know about the better player models. With some face mod I fall in love with every female character in Morrowind LOL.

But I agree but I don´t see 95 % of the games mentioned here as underrated since most get very good reviews and won several awards :confused:

umm wtf?
Gothic I was BEFORE morrowind.
Gothic II takes over where the first leaves off.

Besides, they are both RPGS, That's like saying Final fantasy is a copy cat of >insert 100 rpg titles<

Gothic isn't as Wide open as morrowind, as you usually want to keep going on the story. But you can essiently do it three different ways, which change the story.

You do realize that Morrowind isn't the first "open ended" rpg don't you?

I'm going to say American Conquest. I really enjoyed that game, but there wasn't much talk of it this year.

gothic vs. morrowind... don't forget that morrowind is the 3rd installment of a series. I have the 2nd, Daggerfall, sitting here and its copyrighted '94-96. Arena, the original, was even before that. The general layout of these games are all the same, but Morrowind has really been taken to a higher level.

Umm, black.

Arena - Daggerfall - redguard - Morrowind.

forgot one:p

Sucks that reguard isn't 3d cept on voodoo cards :(

Ok, for starters, Hitman 2 and NOLF 2, both were released at the same time, were both very underrated, but hey folks, check your brain pans, these games released the year before LAST YEAR, 2002, time catch up with the times.

That said Bloodrayne, definitely. Not that it was a perfect game but far better than the press.

My vote goes to Ghostmaster. A truly different and cool game! I doubt the sales reflect what a cool game this is.

Originally posted by Luthorcrow
Ok, for starters, Hitman 2 and NOLF 2, both were released at the same time, were both very underrated, but hey folks, check your brain pans, these games released the year before LAST YEAR, 2002, time catch up with the times.

That said Bloodrayne, definitely. Not that it was a perfect game but far better than the press.

My vote goes to Ghostmaster. A truly different and cool game! I doubt the sales reflect what a cool game this is.

Ghostmaster even got a 5/5 on x-play.

i know it didnt come out this year but i wish more people would play GoldenEye (the half life mod) v1.9c was the latest (last?) version, its on file planet... a few people play it... i run the ONLY server on the interenet for it... :(

Originally posted by Roman02
rise of nations

Yeah, great game, but it wasn't ignored an the end of the year. It won best RTS just about everywhere. You missed the point of the question, dude. :)

For RTS most unnoticed games are.....
Homeworld 2 -- the homeworld series will never sell as well as... lets say warcraft series and the likes of it. Noone likes great graphics in rts set in a space battle type of game..

Most overrated Turn based strategy game....

Master of Orion 3.

(WARNING FAIRLY LONG MOO3 RANT ABOUT HOW SHIATTY IT IS)

This game was a complete god damn failure. They beta tested it with something like 20 people... that were complete idiots that lied to the community about how the AI was INCREDIBLY hard to beat and how the game was so fun to play....

Well when the game was released ill tell you what happened..

about 6000 people on there forums started to complain that the AI sucked ass even on the hardest difficulty settings and it didnt even know how to take over planets from you...
Then we found everything else that was wrong with the game...

NOTHING THAT THEY ADVERTISED FOR THE GAME WAS EVEN NEAR COMPLETION..

now that they have released like 4 patches "and thats all they will release since VU didnt get much money out of the game after its first few days of selling since everyone heard it sucked ass so bad"

God i actually get angry when i think about all the shit they talked about putting into moo3 and never did. and as the deadline came closer they just kept cutting stuff out... we all thought this would be the game of the century... Something to kick civilization 3 off the throne of TBS..

I WISH. sigh

Originally posted by black_b[ ]x
gothic vs. morrowind... don't forget that morrowind is the 3rd installment of a series. I have the 2nd, Daggerfall, sitting here and its copyrighted '94-96. Arena, the original, was even before that. The general layout of these games are all the same, but Morrowind has really been taken to a higher level.

But you can´t compare Daggerfall with Morrowind. The 3D first person/3rd person perspective is what do all the difference.

People may say that gameplay is all that matters but the truth is it´s much easier to get involved and believe in a world that puts you in the middle of everything except away from everything.

It´s true that Morrowind is a Daggerfall in full 3D but that doesn´t stop making Morrowind a 100 x better game than Daggerfall. Even if the Daggerfall maps was what 10-100 times bigger than the Morrowind Island??

That said when playing KOTOR and Bloodmoon I will gladly pickup Gothic 2. I am sure it make some aspects better than Morrowind and hopefully got it´s own feel.

And in Europe at least gothic was out after Morrowind from what I could tell??

I am not saying that Morrowind is the first 3D open ended RPG available. Outcast anyone??? I am saying it´s the best game of all genres ever created and the biggest open-ended rpg released ever!

My vote goes to Ghostmaster. A truly different and cool game! I doubt the sales reflect what a cool game this is. [/B]

Your right about NOLF2 and Hitman 2, but this year 2003 I agree, GhostMaster. It was different, innovative, and underrrated....

But you can´t compare Daggerfall with Morrowind. The 3D first person/3rd person perspective is what do all the difference.

People may say that gameplay is all that matters but the truth is it´s much easier to get involved and believe in a world that puts you in the middle of everything except away from everything.

It´s true that Morrowind is a Daggerfall in full 3D but that doesn´t stop making Morrowind a 100 x better game than Daggerfall. Even if the Daggerfall maps was what 10-100 times bigger than the Morrowind Island??

That said when playing KOTOR and Bloodmoon I will gladly pickup Gothic 2. I am sure it make some aspects better than Morrowind and hopefully got it´s own feel.

And in Europe at least gothic was out after Morrowind from what I could tell??

I am not saying that Morrowind is the first 3D open ended RPG available. Outcast anyone??? I am saying it´s the best game of all genres ever created and the biggest open-ended rpg released ever!

Gothic is developed in germany first.

Then they have to localise it for europe/america, etc.

Since there's a tonnnnnnn of voice work, it alllll has to be done over in different languages, so that takes a while.

Take for instance, Germany already has the Gothic II expansion out now, for a while.

I liked Freedom Fighters by the Hitman2 makers.
Not sure if it was never highly rated but it didn't get much of a rant by anyone, I don't think.
I thought it had a really good story/premise and looked good too.
I enjoyed playing it and will play it through again.
The price was right @$19.95 too.

hmm.. under-rated games... I would say Freedom Fighter should deserve some credit. It was way too short, the graphic was decent (nothing breath-taking though), and had missed out on alot of level design potential (I think there was only 1 damn tank in the entire game.... the whole game was about Soviets invading US.. where are those damn tanks? jet fighters?). What shined was its feature that let you command squad mates to do your simple bidding. The squad command was very simple and easy to use. The squad AI was decent and pathfinding was very well written. The whole idea of giving orders to fellow soldiers in middle of fire fight gives a very unique experience. If Call of Duty had that... Oh.... it'll be "Game of the Year".

On side note... disappointing games were Deus Ex 2 for being too short, screwed up battle system ("universal ammo" WTF?), and hard to use, glitchy controls. disappointing expansion was MOH: Breakthrough. The Single Player was crap and too short (this was after I played CoD). The multiplayer addition was very scant (A few more maps and "Liberation" multiplayer mode... for $25+ a pop?)... The whole MOH series is getting crappier every release.... I guess they lost too much talent to Call of Duty.

Originally posted by goku238
Underrated my ass. Bloodrayne was the worst piece of garbage ever to touch my computer's hard drive since ever. Not even hostile intent can match the crap that that piece of crap Bloodrayne spewed out onto my screen. Underrated != underachieving

Tell us how you really feel... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by WickedAngel
So in other words, "It wasn't designed for retarded children with ADD so most couldn't appreciate it".

I sure hope you're not saying ADD kids are retarded. Maybe I just read it wrong.

Back