Underclock RAM for 5930k MSI x99a

DarthL

n00b
Sup, i want to buy modern ram for my future pc but my old pc is still working (but i have only one ram stick 2133mhz ), my motherboard supports only 3300mhz maximum and i red an old thread where was a description about possible damage to CPU by installing ram with frequency higher 2666mhz, so my question is - Can i configure in BIOS ram (lets say Gskill trident Z 4266 mhz 16gb) settings to 2133 mhz with optimal timings and run it save and stable ? What should i know about xmp and timings and how to not blow up my system ? CPU is not overclocked

I don't know where you read that garbage, but memory speed alone cannot do anything to your CPU, only voltage can. If, for example, you tried to run your memory way up at something like 1.6v+ when stock DDR4 voltage is usually 1.2-1.35 (and only the really fast stuff goes up above 1.5), then yeah, you could actually damage your memory controller. Maybe not immediately, but it would be practically guaranteed to die an early death. You need really good active cooling to keep those kinds of memory voltages from being dangerous to the CPU, and it'll never be for long term.

To answer the actual question, you can just install the memory and run it without enabling XMP, which means it'll run at the lowest standard JEDEC speed of 2133, and you can then manually set the timings if you want.

I don't know where you read that garbage, but memory speed alone cannot do anything to your CPU, only voltage can. If, for example, you tried to run your memory way up at something like 1.6v+ when stock DDR4 voltage is usually 1.2-1.35 (and only the really fast stuff goes up above 1.5), then yeah, you could actually damage your memory controller. Maybe not immediately, but it would be practically guaranteed to die an early death. You need really good active cooling to keep those kinds of memory voltages from being dangerous to the CPU, and it'll never be for long term.

To answer the actual question, you can just install the memory and run it without enabling XMP, which means it'll run at the lowest standard JEDEC speed of 2133, and you can then manually set the timings if you want.
Thx for answer sir ! Actually i refer to this 2016 forum's thread:

To answer your questions, The ram was in spec. it is listed in the Asus X 99 Deluxe QVL. At the time this 16G kit was the fastest I could find for my system.

I paid for shipping the first cpu back to Intel. The second time they sent me a prepaid shipping label. I was totally pissed the second time calling the Intel. I explained to the technical support rep that I was never told by the first support rep never told me about the 2133mhz limit. He told me it is on the box and on the website. I told him that was great, so why in the hell would all the producers of ram manufacture ram at speeds higher than 2133mhz. He got to singing me this song and dance about XMP not being the best option when configuring your bios for ram. I told him that it was totally unacceptable that Intel would sale their top of the line cpus with bullshit limit of 2133mhz. This was when the 5930k-5960k where the top of the line. He then put me on hold to talk with his supervisor and I got the prepaid label. I think Intel knew that there was a problem with the limit of 2133mhz on X-99 boards. That is why skylake runs faster and better with the ram I guess.

I now have XMP 3200mhz but to the cpu I have it set up for 2133mhz. The second cpu only overclocks to 4.5Ghz . I think if you buy the higher rated kits of 3000-3200mhz and underclock it . You will be fine.

There's no guarantee RAM overclocks will work but 2667 works pretty well for 5000 series HEDT chips in my experience.

As someone running 3200 MHz DDR4 with a 6800k (also a Socket 2011-3 CPU)... should I be worried?

The 6000 can run much higher ram speeds than the 5000 series can
I'm aware, but my SA voltage is up at 1.238v in order to get 3200 MHz DDR4 stable. Hoping that's not high enough to degrade the memory controller...

Ddr4 3200 14 14 14 34 is what i ran my memory at with 6850k and evga x99 classy. Ran it that way for a couple years. Rig still runs solid as a rock. So i doubt youll have any issues running 3300 with yours if you choose to.

Ok... but what was your SA voltage? I keep reading that anything over 1.2v is too much...

Its torn down right now so i cant check it unfortunately. I wouldnt sweat it tbh. Just run it below 1.2 and call it a day. I didnt have any luck increasing sa or vccio anyhow. My mb wont do more than 3200 no matter what voltage or timings i run.

Running a 5820K at 4.3GHz with DDR4 at 3000XMP and 15-16-16-33-1T timings just fine for the past three years.

Its torn down right now so i cant check it unfortunately. I wouldnt sweat it tbh. Just run it below 1.2 and call it a day. I didnt have any luck increasing sa or vccio anyhow. My mb wont do more than 3200 no matter what voltage or timings i run.
Can't run it below 1.2v, it's not stable at DDR4 3200 if my SA voltage is below 1.238v...

I have a 5930 myself - running on an ASUS X99 M.B. CPU is not overclocked, and about a year ago, I put 32 GB GSkill RAM in and using XMP enabled, I have been running it at DDR4 3000. 1.35v.

Back