Undecided on a Z170 Board

Sean

[H] for Life
Hi all,

I am undecided on a board for my new build. I have been going over the options in my head to which board I want to go with. I have read reviews on each one, compared stats, and still cannot seem to decide. Budget is unlimited but I don't want to spend more if I can get what I want for less.

What I have already
1. Corsair H110i GTX
2. G.Skill Trident Z 2800 - 15-16-16-35-2N
3. 2 Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming in SLI
4. Samsung Pro 850 512GB SSD

Here is what I am looking for

1. Overclocking 6700K - Looking for 4.7-4.8 stable if the chip gods are kind with manual tuning
2. Eventual 1440/4K Single monitor gaming (currently at 1080)
3. Wifi on board with Teaming would be nice, just not sure how valuable this really is real world
4. Multiple USB options

I am looking at the following boards.
1. Asus Formula VIII
2. Gigabyte Gaming 7
3. Asus Maximus VIII Hero
4. Gigabyte Gaming G1
5. Asus Deluxe

Any 1st hand info, recommendations would be great. If I am missing the mark on my board choices please let me know.

Thanks!

I really dig my Hero 8. See my sig for system specs. Currently running at 4.8Ghz but I could get it to boot at 5.1Ghz.

OP, can you expand on "4. Multiple USB options?"

I have USB keyboard with pass through (2 ports), Memory card reader 3.0, Web Cam, Logitech 700s and external HDD (might put it on the router). I needed a board with enough ports on the back. USB drives etc can go through front panel.

Really that's what I meant.

Should probably include the Asus Z170-Premium as well. I have this board and it's been a joy to work with.

Have you looked at the Asrock Extreme 7+? It has a Mini-PCIe for a wifi card add-on... and tos of USB options.

Have you looked at the Asrock Extreme 7+? It has a Mini-PCIe for a wifi card add-on... and tos of USB options.

I was always concerned with the PCB, but this one is touting high density PCB. Do you know if you can team the two Ethernet connections?

I read somewhere that you could...

This board seems like a real winner, the features are amazing for the price.

I did just read it had teaming on the two NIC's. I've never had an Asrock board. I am reading some reviews on it. Have you used this board?

I just got it installed last night on my custom loop, and after a BIOS update/Windows 10 Restore (saving files)/ and driver updates, it seems to be stable. I have the easy OC setting at 4.2Ghz with XMP set to 3000Mhz, and it's running like a champ at 25 idle/59c load... I'll probably be going higher. I'll be doing some gaming later today, to test it out.

But, I'm just happy my SM951 can now open it's wings on 10Gb m.2, which is very nice. I also have another 512GB m.2 SSD (Origin drive), 2x 480GB SSD RAID0 (Steam "drive"), and another 480GB SSD installed. So, I'm really utilizing the hell out of this board, and it seems to be great so far.

Sounds like a storage monster! it was one of the factors it touted.

Back