Uncool To Be a Mac User in These Tough Times?

another classic

*snip*

I think this one pretty much sums it up perfectly for so many reasons:

clipimage001thumb2.jpg

:D

Not to mention that even if its a POS she can still turn around in 2 years and buy the latest tech for the same price again and still be under what an Apple would have cost her originally.

If you go off what Apple shows on their website ($2800 starting price), her next 3 laptops still come in under the 17" model's current price, assuming they're at the same $700 price tag.

Hmm.. guess I must throw in my two cents.. Any way you chase it, you are using a computer, and shit happens. That said, for my money, I have no desire to spend on the apple premium, and get locked into their proprietary system.

Apple claims to be better built, more secure, slicker, etc. Only truth there is, perhaps slicker.. but then again, no such thing as custom Mac is there, and I have seen some damn slick custom Pc's on these boards. I had a mac book pro that died literally 2 times inside of 3 months. Both times, they were good about replacing it, but I eventually sold the unit on craigslist and bought a $549 laptop running windows!! That was my brief go in the Mac world. Also, those who say more secure, consider who lost the last few hack contests that get reported on these boards... that is right- Apple..

I can slap windows on a machine slapped together from spare parts found in my garage, and guess what, it will run. Not possible on the Mac. Plus, I can game, and I do not need to worry about running multiple OS to get my standard stuff done..

I cannot remember the last time my primary Vista computer crashed. The apple I mentioned above, crashed about 10 times or so, in the brief 3 months I owned it.

So cheaper, less proprietary, runs on anything (means I do not need to purchase a new computer when I want to upgrade), does everything I need to do (cannot be said of mac without running dual OS with windows), does not crash and is more secure... No brainer!!

Can't edit...but for those that want to complain about extra software...

OpenOffice, Avast, SpyBot Search & Destroy, MalwareBytes, GIMP, and Macrium Reflect Free. There's all the productivity and security software I need, not a penny spent.

Can't edit...but for those that want to complain about extra software...

OpenOffice, Avast, SpyBot Search & Destroy, MalwareBytes, GIMP, and Macrium Reflect Free. There's all the productivity and security software I need, not a penny spent.

Beautiful post man, I really could not have said it better myself. I really wish I could rep here.

Sometimes the grammar on the front page confuses me a bit. Commas help with parsing sentences.

I have never had to reinstall windows on a yearly basis. However I know people that run linux and insist that doing a clean install for every new release is how it should be done and as a result "reinstall" there OS at least once a year.

Does XP seem to slow down some after a few years. It might. Not enough though that I have a desire to format my machine and start over. On my last box I had windows installed for 3 years and it seemed to run just fine for me. It has been said though that Vista doesn't have that issue anymore so you don't have to worry about slowdown after years of use. So whatever the issues might have been that caused some people to notice their machines start to slow down after time have been fixed. So even if that was a noticable problem in the past it has been fixed.

Ontopic. As for the size. I see nothing wrong with a 17" screen. I have a 15.4 on my work laptop and I find it hard to use it for too long since I am use to larger on desktops. I'd say that 17 is fine. Once you start getting above there are you starting to get a little large in my opinion, but overall it is up to the person using it. For example, I have a 12 cell battery in my laptop . I have no problem with the extra weight even though it is a little over 7lbs. My boss's laptop was about 6.5 lbs with a similar battery and he hated the weight, for him anything over about 5.5 lbs is a lot.

Who said I had issues? Windows' overall performance seems to degrade severely due what I assume are fundamental flaws with the registry among other things, so it needs to be reinstalled annually if you're not impressively tidy about the way you do things. You do the same thing:

I only do it with my gaming machine. My other machine which I have next to me, I play videos, surf the web, encode vids, whatever else doesn't get occassional reloads. So far, only one load and zero reloads. I use it next to me while I play MMOs.

I love Windows XP, but you have to absolutely baby it to keep it running lean and mean, so that's precisely what I do. I don't do anything crazy, either: just installing, running and uninstalling normal programs. The same thing I do on OS X.

I don't think you need to baby it. Just setup a scheduled task to run a defrag, virus scan, and malware scan once a month. Should be good with that. I am.

[UPS] Sorce;1033906260 said:
Actually, she saved $1300. And got exactly what she wanted.

Win.

Actually if this is all true. Microsoft paid for the laptop for her so she saved the entire cost of a new laptop as she got it for free.

ok, this is my last quote.....but I do like that windows machines are much more hackable, whereas mac os, you have to go through hoola hoops (and there may be many). Then again, don't quote me on this as this is what I have felt for a long time. :D

Quoting you.

The exact opposite sentiment was shared at Pwn2Own. The correct sentiment is that Windows has over time erected some challenging anti-exploit obstacles for hackers, whereas Mac tends to rely on the fact no one important uses them to DO anything important. Therefore, the time it takes to find exploits in Mac is not worth it when you can spend the time finding exploits for Windows that pay far far more dividends, because they're far reaching demographically speaking and harder to find.

People incorrectly believe that Macs are somehow more secure than Windows when they are MUCH less secure in reality. The day that Macs are used in important financial or government tasks is the day people will realize this. Luckily, I don't think that day is near.

Actually if this is all true. Microsoft paid for the laptop for her so she saved the entire cost of a new laptop as she got it for free.

I bought my last laptop about 1 1/2 years ago. 1.8 ghz dual core Pentium M with a gig of mem, 100 gig hdd, 12.1" display, and some onboard vid. Works great for what I want and only ran me $600.

Right now, it's still chugging along perfectly fine. No reloads either. Cheaper than a Macbook.

The hardware people do or do not buy does not make them cool or uncool.
The amount of BS surrounding Apple, their products and customers is just WAY over-inflated.

[UPS] Sorce;1033906260 said:
Actually, she saved $1300. And got exactly what she wanted.

Win.

Actually, she saved $2100+ because the cheapest 17" Mac laptop is the 17" MacBook Pro which as a base model has a $2799 price tag.

'Apple fans will tell you that Apple PCs are not only slicker-looking but that they're also built better, last longer, and run a better operating system. In other words, you're not just paying the Apple premium for looks, but also for brains and brawn.'

In real world terms this translates to: You know you've just been raped and thus must hold out a year longer before the next raping (purchasing a new mac). The next apple add will probably claim a ten year durability claim, because the down economy affects mac users more than most.

People incorrectly believe that Macs are somehow more secure than Windows when they are MUCH less secure in reality. The day that Macs are used in important financial or government tasks is the day people will realize this. Luckily, I don't think that day is near.

QFT.

And there's a reason the OSX EULA has this in it:

Mac OS X 10.5 EULA said:
THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES, EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

Oh yeah, that really inspires confidence in the solid stability of your OS.

NOT. :)

I mean let's be realistic: in all those situations listed in that clause in the EULA, it would seem like OSX would be the perfect OS for such hardware given Apple's consistent marketing-speak that claims it's the fastest most stable and reliable computer OS on the planet, right? Wouldn't such an OS be perfect for the must-work systems listed?

Amirite? :D

And there's a reason the OSX EULA has this in it...Oh yeah, that really inspires confidence in the solid stability of your OS.
Because whatever's written in the EULA correlates precisely to how an operating system behaves in the real world, right?

You keep reading the EULAs and I'll keep actually using the machines :)

My PC which I built in 2005 is running Vista just fine. No rebuilds, no viruses, no malware. The machine was originally running XP then I upgraded to Vista 2 years ago.

My wife has a imac and she loves it (got it for free). Her mac is from 2004 and is still running strong.

In the end both machines have never had a single problem. When the time comes to replace my wife's machine she will be going with a Sony Vaio P. Me of course I will be going with a custom built i7 machine.

Why buy a mac and be locked down to what they have to offer. Apple has no netbook's or sub-laptops.

Having options is the key, and apple needs to understand that people want that.

I am happy MS decided to attack apple at the price point. Apple is retarded if they think in this day and age they can continue to rip people off. Consumers are looking to save money and going with a PC is the best route if your buying a computer.

Actually, she saved $2100+ because the cheapest 17" Mac laptop is the 17" MacBook Pro which as a base model has a $2799 price tag.

I don't care which is better, I use windows because I like to screw with every little part of the software and hardware. But HOLY COW $2799 is completely a outrageous price to pay for a laptop 17" or not. I would buy a new windows laptop every year at $700 without even thinking about it before I would spend that much for over glorified toaster.

I don't care which is better, I use windows because I like to screw with every little part of the software and hardware. But HOLY COW $2799 is completely a outrageous price to pay for a laptop 17" or not. I would buy a new windows laptop every year at $700 without even thinking about it before I would spend that much for over glorified toaster.

But...it's white!

Those Mac commercials were pretty harsh on Microsoft. Turn-about is fair play. I actually think the one with the little girl making a picture of her fort is a much bigger slam on Mac since they always tout how easy they are to use. Everyone already knows you're going to pay an outrageous price for a 15" or 17" macbook.

Yah,

Because you know, my Dell Inspiron 700m is almost 4 years old and still on the original install of XP Pro...

I have a little secret to share with you: Linux and Mac OSX can indeed get corrupted too.

Yah,

Because you know, my Dell Inspiron 700m is almost 4 years old and still on the original install of XP Pro...

I have a little secret to share with you: Linux and Mac OSX can indeed get corrupted too.

No fucking way man. Apple Just Works. It can't possibly break.

For the record, my laptop here at work is using Vista Business right out of the factory from 2 years ago and it's still as fast and snappy as the day I got it. I guess I should reinstall ;)

Did someone at MSFT activate the marketing genesis device or something?

Windows 7 FTMFW. Eat it Mac fanbois.

Having worked with many Mac's and PC's in my career I have come to one conclusion.

There are going to be people that have a great experience with windows, but just because you have one, doesn't mean every else is going to have one.

The same thing goes for a Mac, there are going to be people who have a bad experience with their Mac but just because they do doesn't mean everyone else is also.

I have narrowed it down to a single entity. The user.
The computer is only as good as the user using it.

As a high end computer user, you cannot compare the flaws of an OS to something that only the typical dumb end user experiences
My favorite argument is the whole adware and virus argument against the PC
I have not run AV software in years, and haven't had a virus or adware in the same amount of time. It's amazing what a little common sense can do

LOL macworld is in a tizzy explaining that Mac users aren't stuck up snobs... after trashing people for buying a Windows PC. :D

After using both Mac based and WIndow based computers I can honestly say that I dont think MAC is worth the extra cash. All you are paying for is the name and status of owning a MAC I guess.
Sorry but they are both computers plain and simple............

I lol'd. I use a mac well MBP to be exact doesn't mean I think I am better than anyone. Both OS's are great to each his own.

I thought it was a great commercial along with the little girls with the camera's. I'll give a nod to the advertising firm that thought of it simply because you can buy a 17" laptop with Windows for $700, and you can teach children to plug in camera's and click around. Truth be told, even with a good salary, I would be hard pressed to buy a laptop for $2800 when there are good laptops for half or even less than that; that just seems like a ludicris amount of money when put into perspective.

I think there is a disconnect though. A laptop is hardware, Windows is software, hence a Mac can run Windows. A Mac not running OSX to run Windows seems to defeat itself. Personally, I don't think I could use a Mac simply because I game and a lot of games don't support it. Maybe if Mac's had more market share there would be more interested, and while they are gaining some market share. But they don't have enough and I don't think that'll change really.

By the way, I think Lenovo's are great looking laptops, much better looking than Macs in my opinion. Hell, even my Iphone 3G is black, and I would certainly not have bought it if it was white but that's simply my taste. Running wise, my 6 year old college Thinkpad R42 still runs, and my work computer from my corporation, a ThinkPad also, runs like a champ.

Hmm.. guess I must throw in my two cents.. Any way you chase it, you are using a computer, and shit happens. That said, for my money, I have no desire to spend on the apple premium, and get locked into their proprietary system.

Apple claims to be better built, more secure, slicker, etc. Only truth there is, perhaps slicker.. but then again, no such thing as custom Mac is there, and I have seen some damn slick custom Pc's on these boards. I had a mac book pro that died literally 2 times inside of 3 months. Both times, they were good about replacing it, but I eventually sold the unit on craigslist and bought a $549 laptop running windows!! That was my brief go in the Mac world. Also, those who say more secure, consider who lost the last few hack contests that get reported on these boards... that is right- Apple..

I can slap windows on a machine slapped together from spare parts found in my garage, and guess what, it will run. Not possible on the Mac. Plus, I can game, and I do not need to worry about running multiple OS to get my standard stuff done..

I cannot remember the last time my primary Vista computer crashed. The apple I mentioned above, crashed about 10 times or so, in the brief 3 months I owned it.

So cheaper, less proprietary, runs on anything (means I do not need to purchase a new computer when I want to upgrade), does everything I need to do (cannot be said of mac without running dual OS with windows), does not crash and is more secure... No brainer!!

One of the reasons I don't post here more is that often if a thread goes long enough someone says exactly what I've been thinking.

Good job, man, and well stated. I agree 100%.

www.9to5mac.com said:
So this isn't going to come as a big surprise, but "Lauren" (if that is her real name) didn't really go into the Apple store...or Crispin Porter had a bunch of extras walking around during the filming.

How do we know? Notice at 0:13 when she walks into the store, there is a balding guy with jacket and striped shirt and camera walking by. He is still walking by when she leaves the store filmed on the other camera. That gave her less than a second in the store. She said she walked in and looked around but how could this be?.

This is almost as bad as finding out that the MS Seinfeld commercials were made on Macs.. Oh, the agony

*laughs at all the die-hards*

Back